Stanford withdraws plans to eliminate Dish parking

Stanford has backed off from its plan to eliminate some parking spots near the Dish after experiencing community backlash against the proposed move.

The University had proposed eliminating 33 parking spots on Stanford Avenue to clear space for a new “perimeter trail,” with the intent to move the spots to the parking lot on Coyote Hill Road, about a mile from the Dish gate.

Palo Alto Mayor Nancy Shepherd submitted a letter on Feb. 13 to Larry Horton ’62 M.A. ’66, senior associate vice president for government and community relations, expressing concern over the elimination of the parking spots.

In response, Horton said the University would add back-in angle parking.

“If both the city and Stanford jointly support back-in angle parking, I believe we will have an excellent chance of getting this program approved by the county,” Horton wrote in a letter to Shepherd.

Horton noted that the revised plan was not official, as the trail has to be approved by the Santa Clara County Board.

About Andrew Vogeley

Andrew Vogeley is a desk editor at The Stanford Daily, covering the ASSU and student groups. He is a freshmen from the great state of Texas.