Stanford partners with French library to create digital archive

In partnership with the Bibliothèque nationale de France (BnF), Stanford recently announced the release of 14,000 high-resolution images and documents through the new French Revolution Digital Archive.

The project—led on the Stanford end by University librarian Michael Keller, Professor of French Dan Edelstein and Special Projects Director John Haeger—digitized images and documents from two main sources: the “Archives parlementaires” and the “Images de la Revolution francaise”.

According to the project’s website, the archive arose out of an “expressed need by scholars of the French Revolution to gain greater and more flexible access to their sources.”

The database will allow scholars to search the images and documents by theme, while placing the result in a timeline that shows the context in which the document or image was created.

About Andrew Vogeley

Andrew Vogeley is a desk editor at The Stanford Daily, covering the ASSU and student groups. He is a freshmen from the great state of Texas.