Ronald McDonald House begins expansion project

Stanford’s Ronald McDonald House will expand its facilities in March in order to serve more patients and their families.

The expansion will add 52,000 square feet—including 69 more guest rooms, new dining areas, a library and a healing garden—to accommodate longer guest stays and increased demand for services.

Since the House’s last expansion in 2003, the average length of families’ stay has increased from six nights to 29, according to Annette Eros, the House’s chief executive officer.

“Unfortunately, there are another 40 to 50 more families every night that we cannot accommodate,” she added in the press release.

The expansion is expected to make room for up to 73 more families per night.

The House provides a “home-away-from-home” for families of children with life-threatening diseases who are being treated at the Lucile Packard Children’s Hospital, according to the project website.

“Supporting the expansion of this wonderful organization will only serve to create more support for every one of our patient families who enters its doors,” wrote Christopher G. Dawes, president and chief executive officer of the Hospital, in a statement on the website.

Construction is expected to be completed by late 2015.