Stanford will play No. 1 Wake Forest (16-2-2) at Wake Forest next weekend.: 1 day ago, StanfordDaily Sports
That's it folks. Stanford gets the 3-1 win off some beautiful goals from Morris (2) and Baird. On to the quarterfinals.: 1 day ago, StanfordDaily Sports
GOAL STANFORD. Corey Baird puts the game out of reach. Stanford up two with just over 2 minutes to play.: 1 day ago, StanfordDaily Sports
OSU shot goes wide. Less than 4 to play.: 1 day ago, StanfordDaily Sports
Andrew Epstein has had to be very active tonight. 6 saves so far, ties his season high from 10/18 vs. SDSU.: 1 day ago, StanfordDaily Sports
Things getting physical here at Cagan. Less than 10 to play, Buckeyes fighting to equalize things once more.: 1 day ago, StanfordDaily Sports
JORDAN. MORRIS. AGAIN. Gorgeous goal to put Stanford back up, 2-1. His 10th of the season, 2nd of the night.: 1 day ago, StanfordDaily Sports

Jason Collins signs with Nets, becomes first active openly gay NBA player

Former Stanford basketball player Jason Collins ’01, who shook the sports world when he announced in April that he was gay, signed a 10-day contract with the Brooklyn Nets on Sunday afternoon and later played in the team’s game against the Los Angeles Lakers.

Collins — a 12-year NBA journeyman who was originally drafted 18th overall in 2001 by the Houston Rockets — played 11 minutes off the bench for the Nets, grabbing two rebounds and committing five fouls. It was the seven-footer’s first appearance in an NBA game since the 2012-13 season, which he ended as a member of the Washington Wizards.

After coming out last year, Collins made it clear that he wanted to play in the league again, and had been training and working out in the Los Angeles area. Although no team invited him to training camp, Collins was ultimately able to rejoin an NBA squad after the frenzy of the trading deadline. The Nets were an ideal team for Collins, who is familiar with their defensive system and played with current Nets Paul Pierce and Kevin Garnett in Boston.

Per NBA rules, the Nets will be allowed to sign Collins to another 10-day deal before deciding whether or not to retain his services for the remainder of the season. While the Northridge, Calif. native sports paltry career averages of 3.6 points and 3.8 rebounds per game, he is a playoff-tested veteran, having made back-to-back NBA Finals appearances with the Nets in 2002 and 2003.

About Cameron Miller

Cameron Miller is a sports desk editor for The Stanford Daily's Vol. 246 and is the men's and women's golf writer. He also writes on NCAA-related matters. Cameron is also a Stanford student-athlete, competing on the cross country and track and field teams. He is originally from Bakersfield, California, but spends most of his time away from the Farm on the state's Central Coast. Contact him at