79-77 is your final from Provo after a furious comeback falls barely short at the end. Card get No. 9 Texas in Austin next. Tough draw.: 18 hours ago, Stanford Daily Sport
Card looked sloppy and lost at times, but this team's resiliency is really something else. Just won't go away easily.: 18 hours ago, Stanford Daily Sport
Stanford and Randle got the looks that they wanted at the end, and the shots just didn't fall. That happens, not much you can do about that.: 18 hours ago, Stanford Daily Sport
Card get the ball back down 79-77 with 4.8 to go, and Randle misses the buzzer-beater. BYU wins by that final score.: 18 hours ago, Stanford Daily Sport
Randle misses the long 3 on a clean look. Stanford will get the ball back with a chance.: 18 hours ago, Stanford Daily Sport
Travel. Stanford down 2, gets the ball back and can kill the clock.: 18 hours ago, Stanford Daily Sport
Randle with the clutch 3! We have a two-point game, 79-77 with just under a minute to go. ESPNU. Don't miss this ending.: 18 hours ago, Stanford Daily Sport
Two forced turnovers later, it's back to a 77-72 game. Stanford doing whatever it can to stick around.: 18 hours ago, Stanford Daily Sport
Stanford playing sloppy ball, BYU playing clean, foul-free ball on the other end. It's 72-59 Cougars, who have opened it up with 5 to play.: 18 hours ago, Stanford Daily Sport

Jason Collins signs with Nets, becomes first active openly gay NBA player

Former Stanford basketball player Jason Collins ’01, who shook the sports world when he announced in April that he was gay, signed a 10-day contract with the Brooklyn Nets on Sunday afternoon and later played in the team’s game against the Los Angeles Lakers.

Collins — a 12-year NBA journeyman who was originally drafted 18th overall in 2001 by the Houston Rockets — played 11 minutes off the bench for the Nets, grabbing two rebounds and committing five fouls. It was the seven-footer’s first appearance in an NBA game since the 2012-13 season, which he ended as a member of the Washington Wizards.

After coming out last year, Collins made it clear that he wanted to play in the league again, and had been training and working out in the Los Angeles area. Although no team invited him to training camp, Collins was ultimately able to rejoin an NBA squad after the frenzy of the trading deadline. The Nets were an ideal team for Collins, who is familiar with their defensive system and played with current Nets Paul Pierce and Kevin Garnett in Boston.

Per NBA rules, the Nets will be allowed to sign Collins to another 10-day deal before deciding whether or not to retain his services for the remainder of the season. While the Northridge, Calif. native sports paltry career averages of 3.6 points and 3.8 rebounds per game, he is a playoff-tested veteran, having made back-to-back NBA Finals appearances with the Nets in 2002 and 2003.

About Cameron Miller

Cameron Miller is a sports desk editor for The Stanford Daily's Vol. 246 and is the men's and women's golf writer. He also writes on NCAA-related matters. Cameron is also a Stanford student-athlete, competing on the cross country and track and field teams. He is originally from Bakersfield, California, but spends most of his time away from the Farm on the state's Central Coast. Contact him at cmiller6@stanford.edu.