Shaw on how he expects the team to respond: "I've got a locker room full of Stanford guys. They're leaders...I expect them to bounce back.": 16 hours ago, StanfordDaily Sports
Shaw: "We're going to attack like we're 0-12...but not overreact.": 16 hours ago, StanfordDaily Sports
Shaw: "They played extremely well...We got ourselves behind the eight ball." Identified third down and noise as big problems: 16 hours ago, StanfordDaily Sports
Total domination from the Huskies tonight. Chris Petersen and his staff deserve a lot of credit for coming out firing and never letting up: 16 hours ago, StanfordDaily Sports
Isaiah Brandt-Sims records his first career catch in his home state: 17 hours ago, StanfordDaily Sports
Stanford came into this game having allowed 3 total TDs. Cardinal have given up 6 tonight: 17 hours ago, StanfordDaily Sports
Huskies add another touchdown. First time Stanford has surrendered over 40 points since 2014 at Oregon. UW leads 44-6.: 17 hours ago, StanfordDaily Sports
KJ Carta-Samuels in at QB. Inherits a very different situation compares to last year: 17 hours ago, StanfordDaily Sports
Stanford rolling in second unit on the defensive line here: 17 hours ago, StanfordDaily Sports

Ogwumike wins Capital One Academic All-America Award

Senior Chiney Ogwumike became the first Card women's basketball player to win the Academic All-American of the Year award. (MIKE KHEIR/The Stanford Daily)

Senior Chiney Ogwumike (above) became the first Card women’s basketball player to win the Academic All-American of the Year award. (MIKE KHEIR/The Stanford Daily)

On Thursday, it was announced that senior forward Chiney Ogwumike was named the 2013-14 Capital One Academic All-American of the Year for women’s basketball.

Although Ogwumike is the first member of the women’s basketball team to win the award, she joins other former Cardinal players, including Andrew Luck ’12 for football and Rachel Buehler ’07 for women’s soccer, in winning the award.

Ogwumike has shined on and off the court this year for Stanford and owns a 3.46 cumulative GPA so far in her undergraduate career while working towards a degree in international relations.

Likewise, Ogwumike’s play has powered the Cardinal to its 24-2 record and No. 5 ranking. Ogwumike leads the team with 26.5 points per game and 12.2 rebounds per game. She also ranks third in points per game and eighth in rebounds per game in all of Division I women’s basketball.

About Michael Peterson

Michael Peterson is a senior staff writer at The Stanford Daily. He has served as a beat reporter for football, baseball and men’s soccer and also does play-by-play broadcasting of football and baseball for KZSU. Michael is a senior from Rancho Santa Margarita, California majoring in computer science. To contact him, please email him at mrpeters ‘at’ stanford.edu.