RT @StanfordFball: Stanford ranks No. 1 in the nation in scoring defense (4.3 ppg), total defense (204.3 ypg) and passing defense (66.0 ypg…: 2 days ago, Stanford Daily Sport
Stanford 35, Army 0. Final.: 2 days ago, Stanford Daily Sport
Looks like Stanford will preserve the shutout.: 2 days ago, Stanford Daily Sport
Hogan connects with Montgomery for a 32-yard TD pass with 6:09 left: 2 days ago, Stanford Daily Sport
Montgomery was down on the ground for a bit longer than normal. Looks like he's okay though.: 2 days ago, Stanford Daily Sport
Tarpley doing what he's best at: pass coverage: 2 days ago, Stanford Daily Sport
Great block by Johnny Caspers on the TD run.: 2 days ago, Stanford Daily Sport
Montgomery gets into the end zone out of the Wildcat. Stanford up 28-0 with 11:35 left in the game.: 2 days ago, Stanford Daily Sport
Stanford will take over at the Army 35.: 2 days ago, Stanford Daily Sport

Ogwumike wins Capital One Academic All-America Award

Senior Chiney Ogwumike became the first Card women's basketball player to win the Academic All-American of the Year award. (MIKE KHEIR/The Stanford Daily)

Senior Chiney Ogwumike (above) became the first Card women’s basketball player to win the Academic All-American of the Year award. (MIKE KHEIR/The Stanford Daily)

On Thursday, it was announced that senior forward Chiney Ogwumike was named the 2013-14 Capital One Academic All-American of the Year for women’s basketball.

Although Ogwumike is the first member of the women’s basketball team to win the award, she joins other former Cardinal players, including Andrew Luck ’12 for football and Rachel Buehler ’07 for women’s soccer, in winning the award.

Ogwumike has shined on and off the court this year for Stanford and owns a 3.46 cumulative GPA so far in her undergraduate career while working towards a degree in international relations.

Likewise, Ogwumike’s play has powered the Cardinal to its 24-2 record and No. 5 ranking. Ogwumike leads the team with 26.5 points per game and 12.2 rebounds per game. She also ranks third in points per game and eighth in rebounds per game in all of Division I women’s basketball.

About Michael Peterson

Michael Peterson is the football editor at The Stanford Daily. He has served as a beat reporter for football, baseball and men’s soccer and also does play-by-play broadcasting of baseball and men’s soccer for KZSU. Michael is a sophomore from Rancho Santa Margarita, Calif. majoring in computer science. To contact him, please email him at mrpeters ‘at’ stanford.edu.