RT @AndyLucksBeard: I hear Marcus Mariota is taking golf & yoga this quarter. My senior year was more demanding, and I'm just a beard. #go…: 4 hours ago, Stanford Daily Sport
RT @agonzalezAP: Tough blow for former Stanford football/baseball star Tyler Gaffney w/ season-ending knee injury (via @SteveReedAP) http:/…: 14 hours ago, Stanford Daily Sport
RT @wilnerhotline: Stanford WR Ty Montgomery questionable for opener vs UC Davis b/c arm injury. Per HC David Shaw: "It will be close for U…: 3 days ago, Stanford Daily Sport
@treeSIDjorge Yet the Cardinal has won the conference five times over that stretch...: 5 days ago, Stanford Daily Sport
RT @treeSIDjorge: Two-time defending champion Stanford second in Pac-12 preseason media poll ... poll began in 1961, Cardinal not once pick…: 5 days ago, Stanford Daily Sport

Ogwumike wins Capital One Academic All-America Award

Senior Chiney Ogwumike became the first Card women's basketball player to win the Academic All-American of the Year award. (MIKE KHEIR/The Stanford Daily)

Senior Chiney Ogwumike (above) became the first Card women’s basketball player to win the Academic All-American of the Year award. (MIKE KHEIR/The Stanford Daily)

On Thursday, it was announced that senior forward Chiney Ogwumike was named the 2013-14 Capital One Academic All-American of the Year for women’s basketball.

Although Ogwumike is the first member of the women’s basketball team to win the award, she joins other former Cardinal players, including Andrew Luck ’12 for football and Rachel Buehler ’07 for women’s soccer, in winning the award.

Ogwumike has shined on and off the court this year for Stanford and owns a 3.46 cumulative GPA so far in her undergraduate career while working towards a degree in international relations.

Likewise, Ogwumike’s play has powered the Cardinal to its 24-2 record and No. 5 ranking. Ogwumike leads the team with 26.5 points per game and 12.2 rebounds per game. She also ranks third in points per game and eighth in rebounds per game in all of Division I women’s basketball.

About Michael Peterson

Michael Peterson is a sports desk editor at The Stanford Daily. He has served as a beat reporter for football, baseball and men’s soccer and also does play-by-play broadcasting of baseball and men’s soccer for KZSU. Michael is a sophomore from Rancho Santa Margarita, Calif. majoring in computer science. To contact him, please email him at mrpeters ‘at’ stanford.edu.