RT @samfisher908: Huge props to @davidcohn4 whose call of the @TyMontgomery2 PR TD won him @NCAAFootball student-radio call of the week htt…: 4 hours ago, Stanford Daily Sport
RT @DavidMLombardi: Stanford opens as a 4-point favorite over USC: 1 day ago, Stanford Daily Sport
RT @StanfordWSoccer: An incredible firework display after the game tonight. We move to 3-0 on the season. #NerdNation #HomeOpenerThursday h…: 2 days ago, Stanford Daily Sport
RT @StanfordWSoccer: Final score: No. 5 @StanfordWSoccer 1, No. 14 Portland 0. Third straight road win over a ranked team!: 2 days ago, Stanford Daily Sport
Cardinal fans have to be pretty happy with Stanford's performance today, even if it was against an FCS opponent.: 2 days ago, Stanford Daily Sport
And that's the ballgame. Stanford routs UC-Davis 45-0.: 2 days ago, Stanford Daily Sport
Crower redeems himself by throwing a strike to Hooper for a 14-yard touchdown. Stanford 45, UC-Davis 0 with 8:22 left in the game: 2 days ago, Stanford Daily Sport

Ogwumike wins Capital One Academic All-America Award

Senior Chiney Ogwumike became the first Card women's basketball player to win the Academic All-American of the Year award. (MIKE KHEIR/The Stanford Daily)

Senior Chiney Ogwumike (above) became the first Card women’s basketball player to win the Academic All-American of the Year award. (MIKE KHEIR/The Stanford Daily)

On Thursday, it was announced that senior forward Chiney Ogwumike was named the 2013-14 Capital One Academic All-American of the Year for women’s basketball.

Although Ogwumike is the first member of the women’s basketball team to win the award, she joins other former Cardinal players, including Andrew Luck ’12 for football and Rachel Buehler ’07 for women’s soccer, in winning the award.

Ogwumike has shined on and off the court this year for Stanford and owns a 3.46 cumulative GPA so far in her undergraduate career while working towards a degree in international relations.

Likewise, Ogwumike’s play has powered the Cardinal to its 24-2 record and No. 5 ranking. Ogwumike leads the team with 26.5 points per game and 12.2 rebounds per game. She also ranks third in points per game and eighth in rebounds per game in all of Division I women’s basketball.

About Michael Peterson

Michael Peterson is the football editor at The Stanford Daily. He has served as a beat reporter for football, baseball and men’s soccer and also does play-by-play broadcasting of baseball and men’s soccer for KZSU. Michael is a sophomore from Rancho Santa Margarita, Calif. majoring in computer science. To contact him, please email him at mrpeters ‘at’ stanford.edu.