RT @StanfordFH: What a comeback by the Card! After going down 2-0, Stanford rallies for 3 unanswered goals to get the W! #GoStanford: 19 hours ago, Stanford Daily Sport
.@StanfordWVB sweeps Minnesota to cap off a 2-0 opening weekend. Big tests next week vs. current No. 1 PSU and No. 8 Ill. at State College: 20 hours ago, Stanford Daily Sport
Stanford block coming up big today: 5 in the 1st, 5 in the 2nd set so far. Card up 19-17 in the second set, up 1-0 in the match.: 21 hours ago, Stanford Daily Sport
Langsdorf's header is saved and that'll do it. Santa Barbara defeats @StanfordMSoccer 1-0.: 3 days ago, Stanford Daily Sport
Bashti has a header go just wide. Only a minute left.: 3 days ago, Stanford Daily Sport

Ogwumike wins Capital One Academic All-America Award

Senior Chiney Ogwumike became the first Card women's basketball player to win the Academic All-American of the Year award. (MIKE KHEIR/The Stanford Daily)

Senior Chiney Ogwumike (above) became the first Card women’s basketball player to win the Academic All-American of the Year award. (MIKE KHEIR/The Stanford Daily)

On Thursday, it was announced that senior forward Chiney Ogwumike was named the 2013-14 Capital One Academic All-American of the Year for women’s basketball.

Although Ogwumike is the first member of the women’s basketball team to win the award, she joins other former Cardinal players, including Andrew Luck ’12 for football and Rachel Buehler ’07 for women’s soccer, in winning the award.

Ogwumike has shined on and off the court this year for Stanford and owns a 3.46 cumulative GPA so far in her undergraduate career while working towards a degree in international relations.

Likewise, Ogwumike’s play has powered the Cardinal to its 24-2 record and No. 5 ranking. Ogwumike leads the team with 26.5 points per game and 12.2 rebounds per game. She also ranks third in points per game and eighth in rebounds per game in all of Division I women’s basketball.

About Michael Peterson

Michael Peterson is a senior staff writer at The Stanford Daily. He has served as a beat reporter for football, baseball and men’s soccer and also does play-by-play broadcasting of football and baseball for KZSU. Michael is a senior from Rancho Santa Margarita, California majoring in computer science. To contact him, please email him at mrpeters ‘at’ stanford.edu.