Three Stanford alumni named Gates Cambridge Scholars

Three Stanford alumni–David “Wei” Jai ’13, Andrew Parker ‘11 and Eric Tuan ’12–have been selected as recipients of the 2014 Gates Cambridge Scholarship, granting them full scholarships to pursue graduate studies at the University of Cambridge.

The three recipients, who will join 37 other Americans in this year’s class, plan to study a variety of disciplines at Cambridge, ranging from biological science (Jai) to philosophy in public policy (Parker) to music in choral studies (Tuan).

Jia, a 2014 Marshall Scholar, plans to study neuroscience at the University of Oxford before he attends Cambridge.

Parker, a recipient of the 2012 John Gardener Public Service Fellowship, recently completed a two-year stay in Washington, D.C. during which he worked at the White House and the Pentagon. He also plans to work as the campaign manager for a state legislative race in Maryland.

Since graduating, Tuan has worked with both the Christ Episcopal Church in Los Altos and Convivum, a choir he founded. He has also worked with Stanford’s Department of Music and performed for regional musical organizations.

Though the recipients hold diverse interests, all three said they look forward to studying at Cambridge.

“I’m thrilled to have received this unique opportunity,” Jia told the Stanford News Service. “I’m especially grateful for all those who have supported me throughout the years and helped to shape who I am today.”

Seunghwa Madeleine Han '17 is a sophomore at Stanford interested in English, international relations and the intersection of technology and human communication. She is currently a contributing writer for music and a former news desk editor at The Daily. Contact her at mhan95 'at' stanford.edu to find out more.