Aaron Bright to transfer to St. Mary’s

Two months removed from a season-ending injury that prevented him from completing his senior season with the Cardinal basketball team, guard Aaron Bright announced on Monday that he will be transferring to Saint Mary’s College after his graduation from Stanford in June.

Cardinal senior guard Aaron Bright (right), who has missed most of this season with an injury, will transfer to St. Mary's next year for his final season of eligibility. (ZETONG LI/The Stanford Daily)

Cardinal senior guard Aaron Bright (right), who has missed most of this season with an injury, will transfer to St. Mary’s next year for his final season of eligibility. (ZETONG LI/The Stanford Daily)

Bright is eligible to use a medical redshirt for this season to extend his eligibility. He played only seven games before dislocating his shoulder in practice and electing to undergo season-ending surgery. In those seven contests, he averaged 5.9 points and 2.3 assists per game.

The senior will likely start at guard for the Gaels next season after taking advantage of the NCAA’s graduate transfer rule, which allows for players who complete their undergraduate degree at an institution before their eligibility ends to transfer to another school and play immediately instead of sitting out a year.

Although it had been known since his injury that he would likely transfer from Stanford, Bright hadn’t announced his decision to relocate to Moraga, Calif. after the conclusion of his undergraduate degree until Monday. Bright, the MVP of the 2012 NIT, will leave Stanford as the program’s 10th-place all-time rebounder with his career total of 316.

Contact Do-Hyoung Park at dpark027 ‘at’ stanford.edu.

About Do-Hyoung Park

Do-Hyoung Park '16 is the head copy editor and a sports desk editor at The Daily. He has previously served as the Vol. 245 Managing Editor of Sports and primarily writes football, women's soccer and columns that he's pretty sure nobody reads except for him. Do-Hyoung is a junior originally from Seoul, South Korea and raised in Saint Paul, Minnesota pursuing a major in chemical engineering. To contact him, please email him at dpark027 'at' stanford.edu.
  • Candid One

Best of luck, Aaron! You definitely have been missed this season.

Advertisment ad adsense adlogger