RT @dohyoungpark: Check out our full coverage of the #2016NFLDraft for the @StanfordFball hopefuls here. Will be updated in real time. http…: 3 days ago, StanfordDaily Sports

Aaron Bright to transfer to St. Mary’s

Two months removed from a season-ending injury that prevented him from completing his senior season with the Cardinal basketball team, guard Aaron Bright announced on Monday that he will be transferring to Saint Mary’s College after his graduation from Stanford in June.

Cardinal senior guard Aaron Bright (right), who has missed most of this season with an injury, will transfer to St. Mary's next year for his final season of eligibility. (ZETONG LI/The Stanford Daily)

Cardinal senior guard Aaron Bright (right), who has missed most of this season with an injury, will transfer to St. Mary’s next year for his final season of eligibility. (ZETONG LI/The Stanford Daily)

Bright is eligible to use a medical redshirt for this season to extend his eligibility. He played only seven games before dislocating his shoulder in practice and electing to undergo season-ending surgery. In those seven contests, he averaged 5.9 points and 2.3 assists per game.

The senior will likely start at guard for the Gaels next season after taking advantage of the NCAA’s graduate transfer rule, which allows for players who complete their undergraduate degree at an institution before their eligibility ends to transfer to another school and play immediately instead of sitting out a year.

Although it had been known since his injury that he would likely transfer from Stanford, Bright hadn’t announced his decision to relocate to Moraga, Calif. after the conclusion of his undergraduate degree until Monday. Bright, the MVP of the 2012 NIT, will leave Stanford as the program’s 10th-place all-time rebounder with his career total of 316.

Contact Do-Hyoung Park at dpark027 ‘at’ stanford.edu.

About Do-Hyoung Park

Do-Hyoung Park '16 is a sports desk editor, copy editor and angry uncle that leads The Daily's football coverage. Do-Hyoung is a proud three-time winner of the "Least Likely to Actually Have Friends Outside The Daily" Award and spends most of his free time being a thorn in the sports editors' side while they attempt to do actual work. He is the Stanford correspondent for Sports Illustrated's Campus Rush, will cover the Twins for MLB.com this summer and is a senior from St. Paul, Minnesota studying chemical engineering and computer science. Contact him at dhpark 'at' stanford.edu.
  • Candid One

Best of luck, Aaron! You definitely have been missed this season.