Dwight Powell on SportsCenter now as the "other piece" of the Rondo trade: 15 hours ago, Stanford Daily Sport
ICYMI, Dwight Powell was traded from the Celtics to the Mavs as part of the Rajon Rondo deal yesterday.: 22 hours ago, Stanford Daily Sport
RT @StanfordWVB: Final: @PennStateVBALL 3, @StanfordWVB 1 Cardinal ends the season 33-2, tying for the most wins in program history. #gosta: 1 day ago, Stanford Daily Sport
Cardinal within one after block from Bugg and Ajanaku. A hush over the crowd in OKC as it's 20-19 PSU in the fourth, up two sets to one.: 1 day ago, Stanford Daily Sport
It's getting late quickly for the Card. PSU up 18-15 in the fourth set. Another Dunning timeout, this one the most important of the year.: 1 day ago, Stanford Daily Sport
PSU with three straight points to even the fourth set at 13. Timeout Stanford.: 1 day ago, Stanford Daily Sport
Cardinal up 10-7 in the fourth set. Down two sets to one.: 1 day ago, Stanford Daily Sport
Stanford has been down 2-1 three times this season, and it has a 2-1 record in those matches. (W @ Illinois, W @ Colorado, L @ Washington): 1 day ago, Stanford Daily Sport
Card closed to within one point on three occasions towards the end of the 3rd, but couldn't pull it out. PSU wins it 25-22, takes 2-1 lead.: 1 day ago, Stanford Daily Sport
RT @jwallach12: Neither team has been able to get in a rhythm since the beginning of the first set. It's a dogfight out there. Exactly what…: 1 day ago, Stanford Daily Sport

Mochalski aims to help extend Stanford’s winning streak

After a dominating performance at home last week against UC-Irvine, No. 8 Stanford men’s volleyball (7-4, 4-4 MPSF) will play its first February road game tonight at Pacific before returning home to host No. 4 BYU on Friday at Maples Pavilion. The Cardinal will look to extend its current three-match winning streak, in which it has shut out its last three opponents at Maples Pavilion.

sen

Senior opposite Eric Mochalski (right) was named the AVCA Division I-II National Player of the Week for his play last weekend against UC-San Diego and UC-Irvine. In his two matches starting at opposite, he hit .448 and averaged 3.60 kills per set. (ZETONG LI/The Stanford Daily)

Pacific (2-9, 1-7) is coming off of a victory over UC-San Diego on Saturday just a day after Stanford defeated UC-San Diego in straight sets at Maples. Pacific was led in that match by freshman outside hitter Thomas Hodges, who enjoyed a career-high 23 kills. He hit .354 — recording only six errors — and had 11 digs for the match. With Stanford having won three of its last four games at home after winning only one of four away from Maples, it will be interesting to see how the Cardinal handles returning to the road, even for a short trip like this one.

After its match against Pacific, Stanford will host the fourth-ranked Cougars (8-3, 8-1), which currently lead the MPSF standings by a half game over UCLA. The Cardinal has already faced the Cougars once this season in a tough four-set defeat on the road. After that game, head coach John Kosty noted that the crowd in Provo, Utah played a significant role in key moments of the match the last time around. Home-court advantage for the Cardinal could make a difference in this key conference matchup against the leaders of the MPSF.

Furthermore, BYU is coming off a 10-day break from playing and could thus be slightly rusty, in stark contrast to the Cardinal, which will be coming off of a stretch of five matches in 14 days.

BYU’s offense is led by outside hitter Taylor Sander, who ranks fourth in the nation with 4.33 kills per set.  He also ranks fifth in the country with his 22 aces so far this season. The Cardinal, which has limited its opponents’ hitting games and has out-blocked its opponents in each of its last two matches, must find a way to return Sander’s serves and limit his kill opportunities.

Stanford senior opposite Eric Mochalski will look to continue his hot streak after being named the AVCA Men’s Division I-II National Player of the Week. In last weekend’s matches, which marked the first times he started at opposite this season, Mochalski averaged 3.60 kills per set and hit .448. While the honor demonstrates his tangible significance to the team, his leadership over the past few weeks has been equally important while the Cardinal has regained confidence and momentum. He will look to build on his success at the outside position in the upcoming matches this week.

First serve for Wednesday’s match against Pacific is set for 7 p.m. in Stockton, Calif.

Contact Eliza Thompson at elizat ‘at’ stanford.edu.