Faculty Senate approves new schedule for 2015-16 school year

The Faculty Senate approved reforms to class scheduling practices by unanimous voice vote on Thursday, concluding a protracted and occasionally contentious debate over details of the proposed changes.

The revised schedule, which will take effect during the 2015-16 academic year, aims to reduce the probability of conflicting or overlapping classes by breaking down each day into hour-long and hour-and-a-half-long blocks. Although classes may end at different times, start times will be standardized.

While much of the debate over the proposal focused on the potentially detrimental impact of earlier class times on students, most students’ days will not begin earlier than 9:30 a.m. on Mondays, Wednesdays and Fridays and 9 a.m. on Tuesdays and Thursdays. The 8:30 a.m. to 9:20 a.m. time block will be primarily occupied by discussion groups, labs and language classes.

According to the Stanford News Service, Vice Provost for Undergraduate Education Harry Elam framed the reforms as adhering to a recommendation of the Study of Undergraduate Education at Stanford.

About Kylie Jue

Kylie Jue is a desk editor at The Stanford Daily and has previously worked as a staff writer and summer intern for the paper. She is a freshman from Cupertino, California and plans to study computer science and English during her time at Stanford.