RT @StanfordSports: PSA: student tickets are now available to be claimed for Saturday's matchup against USC: 2 hours ago, The Stanford Daily

No threat found at Tresidder

At 12:31 p.m., the University announced that the police had determined that there was no threat found at Tresidder Union and that the area would be slowly reopened.

Earlier this morning, the University issued a alert asking the campus community to stay away from the Tresidder area, including Tresidder, Old Union and Dinkelspiel Auditorium while the police investigated a report of a suspicious backpack near Tresidder Union.

A bomb squad was called in to aid the investigation, “out of the abundance of caution.” Tresidder, Old Union and Dinkelspiel were closed, while surrounding buildings including the Faculty Club and the Humanities Center were evacuated.

The first alert issued by the University came at 9:28 a.m., when the campus community was informed of a police investigation underway at Dinkelspiel and was asked to stay away from the White Plaza area. Half an hour later, another issued alert stated that the police was investigating a suspicious backpack near Tresidder Union. The same alert also said that a bomb squad was called in for precautionary reasons while Tresidder, Dinkelspiel and Old Union were closed.

The next two updates asked the community to stay away from the Tresidder area and advised people in buildings along Salvatierra Walk to shelter in place as the evacuation of Tresidder continued.

Just after 12:30 p.m, a final alert was released stating that police had found no threat.

The University will continue to post updates on the situation on emergency.stanford.edu.

This post will be updated.

About George Chen

George Chen is the President and Editor in Chief of The Stanford Daily. Previously he worked at The Daily as the Executive Editor, Managing Editor of Sports, the football beat reporter and a sports desk editor. George also co-authored The Daily's recent book documenting the rise of Stanford football, "Rags to Roses." He is a junior from Painted Post, NY majoring in Biology. To contact him, please email eic@stanforddaily.com.
  • somethingfunny

phew. glad everyone is safe.