Breaking: David Shaw names junior Keller Chryst starting quarterback for Saturday's tilt in Tucson.: 18 hours ago, StanfordDaily Sports
Shaw on the Burns fumbled snap: "It was a poor center-quarterback exchange. It was supposed to be a pass and I saw two guys open.": 4 days ago, StanfordDaily Sports
Shaw: "We practiced outstanding the last two weeks...It's my job to figure out how to translate that to the game.": 4 days ago, StanfordDaily Sports
Shaw: "I don't know if there's a better football player on defense in the country than Solomon Thomas.": 4 days ago, StanfordDaily Sports

Eight Cardinal players invited to NFL Combine; new running backs, strength and conditioning coaches hired

The Stanford football team will be well-represented at the 2014 NFL Scouting Combine, with eight players receiving invitations to display their skills for scouts as potential draftees in the 2014 NFL Draft.

Fifth-year senior Josh Mauro (above) will perform for NFL scouts at the Scouting Combine in hopes of improving his draft stock. (SAM GIRVIN/The Stanford Daily)

Offensive tackle Cameron Fleming, running back Tyler Gaffney, fullback Ryan Hewitt, defensive end Josh Mauro, outside linebacker Trent Murphy, free safety Ed Reynolds, inside linebacker Shayne Skov and offensive guard David Yankey will represent Stanford at the Combine, which will be held from Feb. 22-25 at Lucas Oil Stadium in Indianapolis.

Stanford has the highest number of invites among Pac-12 teams, ahead of the seven invitations for USC players and six for Oregon players. This will be the largest representation for Stanford at the Combine since 2003, when it sent seven players.

According to CoachingSearch.com, Stanford has filled the void at running backs coach with Carolina Panthers assistant wide receiver coach Lance Taylor. Taylor previously worked with current Stanford offensive coordinator Mike Bloomgren in the New York Jets’ organization. Taylor replaces Tavita Pritchard, who moved to quarterbacks coach after Mike Sanford was hired by Boise State.

On Friday, it was announced that Ryan Cidzik, the Director of Strength and Conditioning for Football and Outdoor Sports at Columbia University, had been hired by Stanford to serve as a sports performance coach under strength and conditioning coach Shannon Turley. Cidzik will replace Bill Hughan, who departed Stanford after just one year. Hughan will become the Director of Football Sports Performance at Vanderbilt under new head coach Derek Mason.

Update: On Feb. 12, the team confirmed that Taylor would take over as running backs coach.

About Do-Hyoung Park

Do-Hyoung Park '16 honestly isn't quite sure what he does for The Stanford Daily anymore, apart from the fact that he still writes a lot about football and gets cranky at the sports editors. He also writes for (or has written for) The Bootleg, Sports Illustrated and MLB.com and has been a four-time Managing Editor at The Daily. After graduating in June with degrees in Chemical Engineering and Computer Science, he's begrudgingly staying on for his master's in Chemical Engineering as well. Please feel free to troll him at dhpark 'at' stanford.edu.