Shaw on how he expects the team to respond: "I've got a locker room full of Stanford guys. They're leaders...I expect them to bounce back.": 9 hours ago, StanfordDaily Sports
Shaw: "We're going to attack like we're 0-12...but not overreact.": 9 hours ago, StanfordDaily Sports
Shaw: "They played extremely well...We got ourselves behind the eight ball." Identified third down and noise as big problems: 9 hours ago, StanfordDaily Sports
Total domination from the Huskies tonight. Chris Petersen and his staff deserve a lot of credit for coming out firing and never letting up: 10 hours ago, StanfordDaily Sports
Isaiah Brandt-Sims records his first career catch in his home state: 10 hours ago, StanfordDaily Sports
Stanford came into this game having allowed 3 total TDs. Cardinal have given up 6 tonight: 10 hours ago, StanfordDaily Sports
Huskies add another touchdown. First time Stanford has surrendered over 40 points since 2014 at Oregon. UW leads 44-6.: 10 hours ago, StanfordDaily Sports
KJ Carta-Samuels in at QB. Inherits a very different situation compares to last year: 10 hours ago, StanfordDaily Sports
Stanford rolling in second unit on the defensive line here: 10 hours ago, StanfordDaily Sports

Solid individual showings not enough for Cardinal in Corvallis

Despite personal collegiate-best showings for senior Kristina Vaculik on vault and for freshman Nicolette McNair on bars, Stanford’s women’s gymnastics team fell just short of a win against defending Pac-12 champion No. 16 Oregon State (3-1, 1-1 Pac-12) in Corvallis, Ore. on Monday night. The No. 12 Cardinal (10-1, 2-1), which suffered its first loss of the season, had early gains in the meet, but was ultimately edged 197.100 to 195.750.

Senior Kristina Vaculik (above) tied her collegiate-highs with a 9.875 score for the vault and a 9.925 score for her floor routine in the Cardinal’s loss to Oregon State. (ZETONG LI/The Stanford Daily)

Stanford performed well initially, with a start on bars that had the first three gymnasts each scoring 9.750 or higher, including two scores of 9.875 from Vaculik and McNair. However, a missed routine and two falls by gymnasts on the back end of the rotation allowed the Beavers to recover from their deficit to take a 49.075-48.500 lead.

“There were great individual performances, but as a team we came up short,” Stanford head coach Kristen Smyth told GoStanford.com. “We have to be able to put a complete performance together.”

With strong performances on vault by Vaculik and McNair, who both posted scores of 9.900, Stanford pulled closer to Oregon State ahead of the floor routines. Strong second rotation floor performances by freshman Rachel Daum, Vaculik and junior Pauline Hanset helped pull Stanford closer with scores of 9.850, 9.925 and 9.700 respectively. Vaculik’s 9.925 matched her previous collegiate best in the event. This was offset, however, by the first three gymnasts on the floor, who each scored 9.650 or lower.

Stanford started the final rotation on the beam trailing by 1.075, and although five team members marked higher than 9.775, Oregon State scored a total of 49.475 in its final rotation, edging past Stanford’s final rotation score of 49.200.

The Cardinal will try to bounce back from its first defeat of the season on Saturday, when it stays on the road to take on No. 24 Washington in Seattle at 4 p.m.

Contact Nitish Kulkami at nitishk2 ‘at’ stanford.edu.

About Nitish Kulkarni

Nitish Kulkarni '16 is a senior majoring in Mechanical Engineering. He writes about technology and breaking news, and runs online content sections. Email him at nitishk2 'at' stanford.edu.