Shaw on the Burns fumbled snap: "It was a poor center-quarterback exchange. It was supposed to be a pass and I saw two guys open.": 1 day ago, StanfordDaily Sports
Shaw: "We practiced outstanding the last two weeks...It's my job to figure out how to translate that to the game.": 1 day ago, StanfordDaily Sports
Shaw: "I don't know if there's a better football player on defense in the country than Solomon Thomas.": 1 day ago, StanfordDaily Sports
Shaw: "We're not playing at the level we need at the quarterback.": 1 day ago, StanfordDaily Sports
Shaw: "Offensively, there's a lot of questions we have to answer as a staff...that's on me.": 1 day ago, StanfordDaily Sports
Shaw: "The defense was outstanding...Coach Lance Anderson did a fantastic job.": 1 day ago, StanfordDaily Sports
This is the first time Stanford failed to score a touchdown since the game-that-must-not-named (i.e. 2015 Northwestern): 1 day ago, StanfordDaily Sports
Burns hits Irwin who laterals it to McCaffrey who drops the ball before Love falls on it. Appropriate ending for a mess of a game.: 1 day ago, StanfordDaily Sports
Stanford will have four seconds to make some magic happen. Unlikely but, hey, it's college football.: 1 day ago, StanfordDaily Sports

Solid individual showings not enough for Cardinal in Corvallis

Despite personal collegiate-best showings for senior Kristina Vaculik on vault and for freshman Nicolette McNair on bars, Stanford’s women’s gymnastics team fell just short of a win against defending Pac-12 champion No. 16 Oregon State (3-1, 1-1 Pac-12) in Corvallis, Ore. on Monday night. The No. 12 Cardinal (10-1, 2-1), which suffered its first loss of the season, had early gains in the meet, but was ultimately edged 197.100 to 195.750.

Senior Kristina Vaculik (above) tied her collegiate-highs with a 9.875 score for the vault and a 9.925 score for her floor routine in the Cardinal’s loss to Oregon State. (ZETONG LI/The Stanford Daily)

Stanford performed well initially, with a start on bars that had the first three gymnasts each scoring 9.750 or higher, including two scores of 9.875 from Vaculik and McNair. However, a missed routine and two falls by gymnasts on the back end of the rotation allowed the Beavers to recover from their deficit to take a 49.075-48.500 lead.

“There were great individual performances, but as a team we came up short,” Stanford head coach Kristen Smyth told GoStanford.com. “We have to be able to put a complete performance together.”

With strong performances on vault by Vaculik and McNair, who both posted scores of 9.900, Stanford pulled closer to Oregon State ahead of the floor routines. Strong second rotation floor performances by freshman Rachel Daum, Vaculik and junior Pauline Hanset helped pull Stanford closer with scores of 9.850, 9.925 and 9.700 respectively. Vaculik’s 9.925 matched her previous collegiate best in the event. This was offset, however, by the first three gymnasts on the floor, who each scored 9.650 or lower.

Stanford started the final rotation on the beam trailing by 1.075, and although five team members marked higher than 9.775, Oregon State scored a total of 49.475 in its final rotation, edging past Stanford’s final rotation score of 49.200.

The Cardinal will try to bounce back from its first defeat of the season on Saturday, when it stays on the road to take on No. 24 Washington in Seattle at 4 p.m.

Contact Nitish Kulkami at nitishk2 ‘at’ stanford.edu.

About Nitish Kulkarni

Nitish Kulkarni '16 is a senior majoring in Mechanical Engineering. He writes about technology and breaking news, and runs online content sections. Email him at nitishk2 'at' stanford.edu.