RT @StanfordWVB: .@StanfordWVB (18-0) off to its best start to a season since 1994 (20-0), led today by Morgan Boukather's career high 18 k…: 15 hours ago, Stanford Daily Sport
@andi_mcc @MsIngaSpoke @BlockInTheBack Thanks a lot. Never got sent quotes from last night's presser for some reason.: 16 hours ago, Stanford Daily Sport
Stanford drops to 4-3, the first time the Cardinal have three regular-season losses since 2009.: 1 day ago, Stanford Daily Sport
Stanford will fall out of the AP top-25 poll for the first time in 73 weeks.: 1 day ago, Stanford Daily Sport
Arizona State 26, Stanford 10, final.: 1 day ago, Stanford Daily Sport
Hogan's 4th and 10 jump ball to Montgomery falls short, and that's going to do it.: 1 day ago, Stanford Daily Sport
3rd and 10 with the game on the line... and why is Montgomery not out there?: 1 day ago, Stanford Daily Sport
This drive again a reminder that Stanford is not a team that plays from behind. This two-minute drill is kind of atrocious.: 1 day ago, Stanford Daily Sport
Gonzalez knocks it in from 31. ASU takes a 26-10 lead.: 1 day ago, Stanford Daily Sport

Strong field welcomes Cardinal to Amer Ari Invitational

Offseasons for athletes have their ups and downs. Sure, there’s the relaxation time, the opportunity to pursue other endeavors and improve on one’s game. On the other hand, extended time away from competition can be boring and tedious for an athlete. For the No. 9 Stanford men’s golf team, the long wait between the fall and spring seasons is finally over, as the Card is scheduled to compete at the Amer Ari Invitational in Kona, Hawaii starting Thursday.

Senior Cameron Wilson (above) placed fourth in the Master of the Amateurs event in Australia this past offseason. He’ll lead the Cardinal’s five-man lineup in Kona as the Cardinal resumes its season. (John Todd/isiphotos.com)

“We were excited about our offseason, and our training is something we’ve placed a lot of focus on over the last month or two,” said head coach Conrad Ray ‘97. “The guys all had very productive winter breaks, and the scores reflected that in our qualifying event. We shot some really solid scores on some tough golf courses. And the weather’s been very cooperative in our prep, so that’s been nice.”

However, weather conducive to solid play may not follow the Cardinal across the Pacific. While the temperatures are forecasted to be in the low eighties, there is a significant chance of rain throughout the week, which could affect the squad’s preparation time on the Waikoloa Kings’ Course. As with nearly all golf tournaments on the Big Island, wind will also play a key role in the scoring, with Ray calling it “always an unpredictable factor.”

Senior Cameron Wilson knows all too well the challenges on the picturesque Kings’ Course. He has never scored under par at the tournament in each of the last three years. However, the seasoned and confident veteran doesn’t believe that he has to adjust too much to be successful this week.

“Last year, I played nicely, save for one to two bad holes each day,” Wilson said. “My game plan [this week] won’t be any different but I need to keep my concentration better to avoid a few slip-ups.”

Wilson, who had a solid offseason capped by a fourth-place finish at the prestigious Master of the Amateurs event in Australia, will be joined in Stanford’s five-man lineup by sophomore David Boote, junior Patrick Rodgers and freshmen Maverick McNealy and Viraat Badhwar. Boote will play in the No. 1 slot this week by virtue of his win at the team’s intrasquad qualifying event a few weekends ago in Monterrey, and the sophomore from England will certainly be looking to improve upon his even-par performance at Amer Ari last year. Ray will also bring along junior Patrick Grimes and freshman Jim Liu to play as individuals.

While the weather may or may not give the Card a break, the field will undoubtedly not. No. 2 Georgia Tech and No. 4 Oklahoma State headline Stanford’s opponents, with No. 14 Washington and No. 15 UCLA also making appearances. The 20-team field also contains eight Pac-12 schools, which will give the Cardinal an excellent feel for how it stacks up within the conference.

“The field at the Amer Ari is the strongest, if not one of the strongest, events we’ll see all year,” Ray said. “We’ll have to be on top of our games.”

Not only will this tournament give Stanford a good test against quality opponents, it could be the springboard the Cardinal needs for a successful spring campaign.

“Starting the spring on the right foot is huge,” Wilson said. “Winning in the postseason will be tough unless it becomes a habit and we are used to being in contention. These next few tournaments are perfect opportunities to contend and make it something we are used to come springtime.”

Contact Cameron Miller at cmiller6 ‘at’ stanford.edu.

About Cameron Miller

Cameron Miller is a sports desk editor for The Stanford Daily's Vol. 246 and is the men's and women's golf writer. He also writes on NCAA-related matters. Cameron is also a Stanford student-athlete, competing on the cross country and track and field teams. He is originally from Bakersfield, California, but spends most of his time away from the Farm on the state's Central Coast. Contact him at cmiller6@stanford.edu.