To cap off the day, @StanfordWSoccer in OT right now against Florida in NCAA Tournament Elite 8 Match: 4 mins ago, Stanford Daily Sport
RT @AJTarpley: Just repaying the favor @ArizonaFBall: 5 hours ago, Stanford Daily Sport
RT @ksvoboda: Stanford @khoagie8 becomes 1st @StanfordFball QB to defeat UCLA 4 times. #GoStanford: 5 hours ago, Stanford Daily Sport
RT @DavidParry58: Our debt to Arizona is paid: 5 hours ago, Stanford Daily Sport
Hey Arizona, let's call it even, okay?: 5 hours ago, Stanford Daily Sport
RT @StanfordRivals: Off the top of my head, this was the best performance by a Stanford quarterback since Andrew Luck in the Fiesta Bowl ag…: 5 hours ago, Stanford Daily Sport
Stanford 31, UCLA 10. Final.: 5 hours ago, Stanford Daily Sport
The Rose Bowl empties in earnest.: 6 hours ago, Stanford Daily Sport
Stanford leads in yardage 416-179.: 6 hours ago, Stanford Daily Sport
UCLA is effectively done - 21 points in 10:40 against this Stanford defense is probably too much for any non-Oregon offense in the country.: 6 hours ago, Stanford Daily Sport

Stanford referenced in Jonathan Martin’s alleged texts to Incognito

A transcript containing more than 1,000 text messages reportedly exchanged between former Miami Dolphins offensive linemen Jonathan Martin ‘12 and Richie Incognito from October 2012 to November 2013 was published by The Big Lead on Monday, just a few days before the NFL plans to release its findings on the controversial bullying scandal surrounding the two ex-teammates.

Jonathan Martin ’12 made multiple references to Stanford in his text messages to Richie Incognito, the transcript of which was published by The Big Lead on Monday. (Rob Ericson/Stanford Athletics)

Most of the reported conversations between Martin and Incognito revolved around parties, nightclubs and sex, but Martin — who returned to Stanford for winter quarter to finish his degree — also made multiple references to Stanford in his text messages to Incognito.

The first of these texts referencing Stanford came on Nov. 30, 2012, when in response to an explicit remark by Incognito regarding the small crowd at Pac-12 Championship Game between Stanford and UCLA, Martin texted Incognito “Stanford fans are weak…It’ll be full at game time [though].” Following that conversation, Martin bantered with Incognito about the 2013 Rose Bowl Game and then told Incognito in February that he was training at Stanford in the offseason.

The messages obtained by The Big Lead are reportedly from a league source, but Incognito’s attorney, Mark Schamel, also provided a transcript to CBS4 News in Miami last week.

The text message transcript is the latest development in the heavily debated bullying incident. Three months ago, ESPN reported that Incognito used racial slurs and profanity in his cellular communications with Martin on multiple occasions. Martin left the Dolphins to seek help in dealing with emotional issues, drawing criticisms from some NFL players for the way he handled the situation. He was placed on the non-football illness list on Nov. 30, while Dolphins owner Stephen Ross offered his public support for Martin and cut ties with Incognito.

But last week, Incognito’s attorney claimed that Martin’s texts to Incognito had been equally vulgar and derogatory, reigniting the debate surrounding the NFL’s locker room culture and bringing to question whether Martin had played a role in fueling the exchange of insulting epithets between the two players.

The NFL expects that its investigation will be completed this week.

Throughout the process, many of Martin’s former Stanford teammates and coaches, including David DeCastro ‘12, Andrew Luck ‘12, Coby Fleener ‘11, Zach Ertz ‘13 and head coach David Shaw, rallied around him. Martin was seen at a Stanford tailgate party before the USC game in mid-November and also watched the game from the Stanford sideline.

“We’re talking about something that, as more comes out, we’re finding out this is not just Jon being oversensitive,” Shaw told the San Jose Mercury News in early November. “This is Jonathan being the first person to speak about what’s been going on.”

A two-time All-American left tackle at Stanford, Martin was selected by the Dolphins in the second round of the 2012 NFL Draft. Martin started at right tackle during the first 12 games of his rookie season before moving to left tackle at the start of the 2013 season.

Contact George Chen at gchen15 ‘at’ stanford.edu.

About George Chen

George Chen is a senior staff writer at The Stanford Daily who writes football, football and more football. Previously he worked at The Daily as the President and Editor in Chief, Executive Editor, Managing Editor of Sports, the football beat reporter and a sports desk editor. George also co-authored The Daily's recent book documenting the rise of Stanford football, "Rags to Roses." He is a senior from Painted Post, NY majoring in Biology. To contact him, please email at gchen15@stanford.edu.
  • Bill
  • Sarah

Wow, Martin may be the next one found dead with a heroin needle in his arm or just found dead!

• James TG

I’m a huge Stanford fan and the pac-12 championship game showing by the fans in 2012 was extremely embarrassing. Nothing to dispute with Incognito’s comments there.

• Richie

Any chance the pic with Martin in the Booty Sandwich gets used as a recruiting tool?