School of Medicine dean to lead NIH diversity efforts

Hannah Valantine, senior associate dean for diversity and leadership at the School of Medicine, has been named the National Institute of Health’s (NIH) first-ever chief officer for scientific workforce diversity.

Valantine, who has held her position since 2005 and who also serves as a professor of cardiovascular medicine, will oversee the NIH’s attempts to diversify its researching corps by advancing strategies to increase minority recruitment and retention while simultaneously creating a culture of inclusivity.

Under Valantine’s leadership, the School of Medicine reported an increase in the number of female faculty members to levels above national averages. The number of faculty from under-represented minority groups has also increased, from 34 in 2004 to 96 in 2014.

“Recruiting and retaining the brightest minds regardless of race, ethnicity, gender, disability and socioeconomic status is critically important not only to NIH, but to the entire U.S. scientific enterprise,” said NIH Director Francis Collins in a press release. “Hannah possesses the experience, dedication and tenacity needed to move the NIH forward on this critically important issue.”

Andrew Vogeley

About Andrew Vogeley

Andrew Vogeley ‘17 is a sophomore majoring in political science. Andrew hails from the great state of Texas (and he’ll be sure to let you know it) and serves as a news desk editor, covering the different student groups on campus. Besides editing and writing for The Daily, Andrew is President of RUF, a Christian fellowship group. To contact Andrew, email him at avogeley ‘at’ stanford.edu
Advertisment ad adsense adlogger