Dwight Powell on SportsCenter now as the "other piece" of the Rondo trade: 3 hours ago, Stanford Daily Sport
ICYMI, Dwight Powell was traded from the Celtics to the Mavs as part of the Rajon Rondo deal yesterday.: 10 hours ago, Stanford Daily Sport
RT @StanfordWVB: Final: @PennStateVBALL 3, @StanfordWVB 1 Cardinal ends the season 33-2, tying for the most wins in program history. #gosta: 21 hours ago, Stanford Daily Sport
Cardinal within one after block from Bugg and Ajanaku. A hush over the crowd in OKC as it's 20-19 PSU in the fourth, up two sets to one.: 22 hours ago, Stanford Daily Sport
It's getting late quickly for the Card. PSU up 18-15 in the fourth set. Another Dunning timeout, this one the most important of the year.: 22 hours ago, Stanford Daily Sport
PSU with three straight points to even the fourth set at 13. Timeout Stanford.: 22 hours ago, Stanford Daily Sport
Cardinal up 10-7 in the fourth set. Down two sets to one.: 22 hours ago, Stanford Daily Sport
Stanford has been down 2-1 three times this season, and it has a 2-1 record in those matches. (W @ Illinois, W @ Colorado, L @ Washington): 22 hours ago, Stanford Daily Sport
Card closed to within one point on three occasions towards the end of the 3rd, but couldn't pull it out. PSU wins it 25-22, takes 2-1 lead.: 22 hours ago, Stanford Daily Sport
RT @jwallach12: Neither team has been able to get in a rhythm since the beginning of the first set. It's a dogfight out there. Exactly what…: 22 hours ago, Stanford Daily Sport

Track and field sprints past previous records

Stanford’s track and field teams toppled four previous school records as Cardinal athletes raced to several eye-popping individual performances at the Penn State National Invitational over the weekend.

A four-person team of sophomores Amy Weissenbach, Kristyn Williams and Claudia Saunders along with fifth-year senior Justine Fedronic finished the women’s distance medley relay in 10:54.04 on Friday — a full four seconds faster than the previous school record of 10:58.49 set in 2009. The time also marks the fastest distance medley relay time in the country so far this year.

(SHIRLEY PEFLEY/stanfordphoto.com)

Senior Justine Fedronic (right) was a part of the distance medley relay that beat the previous Stanford relay time by four seconds and is the fastest time in the country thus far this year. (SHIRLEY PEFLEY/stanfordphoto.com)

It was the second school-record performance of the year for Williams, who gave the relay team good separation with her strong 400-meter leg of the relay on Friday after having set a Stanford record in the 400 at the UW Indoor Preview in January. She went on to add a third school-record time on Saturday.

In Saturday’s races, the Cardinal continued to build off of its momentum from Friday as Fedronic and Williams claimed two more school records in the women’s 800-meter and 500-meter invitationals, respectively. In addition, sophomore Steven Solomon contributed a record-breaking performance for the men’s team in the men’s 500-meter invitational.

Fedronic led the Cardinal to a sweep of the top three spots in the 800 with her time of 2:03.25, with sophomores Amy Weissenbach and Claudia Saunders clocking in at 2:05.50 and 2:07.17, respectively, to claim second and third. Both Fedronic’s and Weissenbach’s times topped the previous Stanford record of 2:05.56, which was set by Weissenbach last year. In addition, Fedronic’s time set a new meet record and a new track record, both of which previously stood at 2:03.51.

In the men’s 500 invitational, Solomon ran a 1:01.44 to beat the previous school record of 1:03.40 that had stood since 1983, partly due to the rarity of the 500 event. Williams’ time of 1:10.82 in the women’s 500 invitational will go down as a school record despite the lack of an official list for the event.

At the Razorback Invitational in Fayetteville, Ark., freshman pole-vaulter Dylan Duvio tied a personal record and won the men’s pole vault event with his vault of 17-4½, which also marks the second-best freshman vault in Stanford history.

With the new school records being set and several Cardinal athletes setting new personal records, Stanford’s teams look to be in excellent physical condition moving forward into the U.S. Indoor Championships later this month.

Contact Do-Hyoung Park at dpark027 ‘at’ stanford.edu.

About Do-Hyoung Park

Do-Hyoung Park '16 is the head copy editor, a sports desk editor and a former Managing Editor of Sports at The Daily. He fills the "Crazy Old Uncle" role at The Daily, occasionally being allowed to throw up football stories and rant-y columns. Do-Hyoung is a junior from Saint Paul, Minnesota studying chemical engineering and computer science. To contact him, please email him at dpark027 'at' stanford.edu.