RT @StanfordWVB: .@StanfordWVB (18-0) off to its best start to a season since 1994 (20-0), led today by Morgan Boukather's career high 18 k…: 1 day ago, Stanford Daily Sport
@andi_mcc @MsIngaSpoke @BlockInTheBack Thanks a lot. Never got sent quotes from last night's presser for some reason.: 1 day ago, Stanford Daily Sport
Stanford drops to 4-3, the first time the Cardinal have three regular-season losses since 2009.: 2 days ago, Stanford Daily Sport
Stanford will fall out of the AP top-25 poll for the first time in 73 weeks.: 2 days ago, Stanford Daily Sport
Arizona State 26, Stanford 10, final.: 2 days ago, Stanford Daily Sport
Hogan's 4th and 10 jump ball to Montgomery falls short, and that's going to do it.: 2 days ago, Stanford Daily Sport
3rd and 10 with the game on the line... and why is Montgomery not out there?: 2 days ago, Stanford Daily Sport
This drive again a reminder that Stanford is not a team that plays from behind. This two-minute drill is kind of atrocious.: 2 days ago, Stanford Daily Sport

Track and field sprints past previous records

Stanford’s track and field teams toppled four previous school records as Cardinal athletes raced to several eye-popping individual performances at the Penn State National Invitational over the weekend.

A four-person team of sophomores Amy Weissenbach, Kristyn Williams and Claudia Saunders along with fifth-year senior Justine Fedronic finished the women’s distance medley relay in 10:54.04 on Friday — a full four seconds faster than the previous school record of 10:58.49 set in 2009. The time also marks the fastest distance medley relay time in the country so far this year.

(SHIRLEY PEFLEY/stanfordphoto.com)

Senior Justine Fedronic (right) was a part of the distance medley relay that beat the previous Stanford relay time by four seconds and is the fastest time in the country thus far this year. (SHIRLEY PEFLEY/stanfordphoto.com)

It was the second school-record performance of the year for Williams, who gave the relay team good separation with her strong 400-meter leg of the relay on Friday after having set a Stanford record in the 400 at the UW Indoor Preview in January. She went on to add a third school-record time on Saturday.

In Saturday’s races, the Cardinal continued to build off of its momentum from Friday as Fedronic and Williams claimed two more school records in the women’s 800-meter and 500-meter invitationals, respectively. In addition, sophomore Steven Solomon contributed a record-breaking performance for the men’s team in the men’s 500-meter invitational.

Fedronic led the Cardinal to a sweep of the top three spots in the 800 with her time of 2:03.25, with sophomores Amy Weissenbach and Claudia Saunders clocking in at 2:05.50 and 2:07.17, respectively, to claim second and third. Both Fedronic’s and Weissenbach’s times topped the previous Stanford record of 2:05.56, which was set by Weissenbach last year. In addition, Fedronic’s time set a new meet record and a new track record, both of which previously stood at 2:03.51.

In the men’s 500 invitational, Solomon ran a 1:01.44 to beat the previous school record of 1:03.40 that had stood since 1983, partly due to the rarity of the 500 event. Williams’ time of 1:10.82 in the women’s 500 invitational will go down as a school record despite the lack of an official list for the event.

At the Razorback Invitational in Fayetteville, Ark., freshman pole-vaulter Dylan Duvio tied a personal record and won the men’s pole vault event with his vault of 17-4½, which also marks the second-best freshman vault in Stanford history.

With the new school records being set and several Cardinal athletes setting new personal records, Stanford’s teams look to be in excellent physical condition moving forward into the U.S. Indoor Championships later this month.

Contact Do-Hyoung Park at dpark027 ‘at’ stanford.edu.

About Do-Hyoung Park

Do-Hyoung Park '16 is the head copy editor and a sports desk editor at The Stanford Daily. He has previously served as managing editor of sports and still writes for the football, women's soccer and men's water polo beats. Do-Hyoung is a junior originally from Seoul, South Korea and raised in Saint Paul, Minnesota pursuing a major in chemical engineering. To contact him, please email him at dpark027 'at' stanford.edu.