Sykes appointed to Board of Trustees

Gene T. Sykes MBA ’84, an investment banker at Goldman Sachs, has been elected to a five-year term on the Stanford University Board of Trustees.

Sykes, who is co-head of global mergers and acquisitions and chairman of global technology, media and telecommunications investment banking at Goldman, has contributed extensively to Graduate School of Business (GSB) activities as an alumnus, including chairing the GSB Advisory Council and co-chairing the campaign steering committee that oversaw the GSB’s participation in the Stanford Challenge.

Sykes attended Harvard as an undergraduate, graduating in 1980 with a bachelor’s degree in government. After earning his MBA in 1984, he joined Goldman’s mergers and acquisition department and eventually moved to the firm’s Los Angeles office in 1987.

He currently co-chairs the School of Earth Sciences Development Task Force and serves as a member of the Task Force for Volunteer Engagement. He and his wife, Tracy Moritz Sykes, have endowed the Sykes Family Emmett Interdisciplinary Program in Environment and Resources Directorship Fund in the School of Earth Sciences.

Sykes’ term on the Board of Trustees began on Feb. 1.

Andrew Vogeley

About Andrew Vogeley

Andrew Vogeley is a desk editor at The Stanford Daily, covering the ASSU and student groups. He is a freshmen from the great state of Texas.