Kelly on Clemson, Stanford losses: "We're two plays away from being undefeated and the number one team in the country.": 33 mins ago, StanfordDaily Sports
Brian Kelly: "We had a number of opportunities in the red zone. It's never about one series or one play, it's a culmination of the game.": 34 mins ago, StanfordDaily Sports
"One word: gritty." -Shaw on Shittu, Thomas and Scarlett and the way the DL has played this year: 37 mins ago, StanfordDaily Sports
Shaw on receiving corps: "They've been blocking extremely well, and they know when called upon, they're gonna make plays.": 39 mins ago, StanfordDaily Sports
Hogan to Shaw after getting the game ball: "Thanks coach. We gotta play USC next week.": 42 mins ago, StanfordDaily Sports
"Kevin did a great job of keeping his emotions in check and just playing great football. I can't say how proud of him I am." -Shaw: 42 mins ago, StanfordDaily Sports
"You're talking about a walk-on kicker that came in, earned his stripes. He's become one of the best kickers in the nation."Shaw on Ukropina: 43 mins ago, StanfordDaily Sports
"I challenge anybody to find a better two-minute quarterback in the nation than Kevin Hogan." -Shaw: 45 mins ago, StanfordDaily Sports
"We kept our minds in it. We got up, we didn't change. We got down, we didn't change." -David Shaw: 46 mins ago, StanfordDaily Sports

Women’s swimming makes TV appearance in SoCal trip

The No. 4 Cardinal women’s swimming team (7-0, 4-0 Pac-12) will journey into the television spotlight on Friday as it travels south to No. 16 UCLA for a meet that will be broadcast on the Pac-12 Networks.

Stanford senior Maya DiRado (center) holds the nation's best 200 IM time, but she faces her toughest competition of the season yet in USC's Stina Gardell. (Daily File Photo)

Stanford senior Maya DiRado (center) holds the nation’s best 200 IM time, but she faces her toughest competition of the season yet in USC’s Stina Gardell. (Stanford Daily File Photo)

The showdown with the Bruins at noon is only one of two Stanford women’s swimming dual meets that will be televised this year, with the other one coming against five-time Olympic medalist Missy Franklin and Cal in two weeks.

Although the matchup with UCLA (8-1, 5-1) is a rare chance to catch the Cardinal in action away from Avery Aquatics Center, it sets up as a likely win for Stanford. The Cardinal has fended off the Bruins by identical 30-point margins in each of the teams’ last two meetings, and UCLA has no swimmers with top-20 times in any of the freestyle or individual medley (IM) events, two of Stanford’s strongest areas.

The Cardinal’s visit to No. 5 USC (5-0, 4-0) on Sunday, meanwhile, appears much more intriguing. Ten different events boast a top-20 swimmer from each team, with three of those races featuring the swimmers that own the top times in the country in those events. And the competition is toughest in some of Stanford’s best races.

Cardinal junior Maddy Schaefer and freshman Lia Neal will take center stage in two hotly contested freestyle races on which the meet could pivot. That duo will go up against the Trojans’ record-holder in the 50-yard and 100-yard free, Kasey Carlson, who ranks third and first in the nation in those events, respectively. Schaefer’s nation-leading 50 free time of 21.78 seconds is just ahead of Carlson’s 21.90, while Carlson’s No. 1 mark in the 100 free (47.22) gives her the advantage on paper, at least, against the fourth-ranked Neal (47.48).

In the IM, meanwhile, Stanford’s Maya DiRado will duke it out against another senior, USC’s Stina Gardell. DiRado holds a two-second edge in the 200 IM — her time of 1:53.50 is the best in the country — and an edge of nearly three seconds in the 400 IM, but Gardell ranks in the top 10 in both races and will be the toughest competition DiRado has faced all season.

Stanford may be able to find some separation in the relays, as it has posted the best 400-yard and 800-yard freestyle relay times in the country this season and boasts a multi-second advantage over the Trojans in each event.

Friday’s meet against UCLA and Sunday’s against USC both begin at noon.

Contact Joseph Beyda at jbeyda ‘at’

About Joseph Beyda

Joseph Beyda is the editor in chief of The Stanford Daily. Previously he has worked as the executive editor, webmaster, football editor, a sports desk editor, the paper's summer managing editor and a beat reporter for football, baseball and women's soccer. He co-authored The Daily's recent football book, "Rags to Roses," and covered the soccer team's national title run for the New York Times. Joseph is a senior from Cupertino, Calif. majoring in Electrical Engineering. To contact him, please email jbeyda "at"