Over the 5-game win streak in the Big Game, Stanford has outscored Cal 201-75.: 15 hours ago, Stanford Daily Sport
None of Stanford's seniors will leave this school ever having lost the Big Game. Fifth straight claim to the Axe for your Cardinal.: 15 hours ago, Stanford Daily Sport
Stanford is bowl-eligible with its sixth win of the season!: 15 hours ago, Stanford Daily Sport
And it's a final from California Memorial Stadium - Stanford 38, Cal 17 in the 117th Big Game.: 15 hours ago, Stanford Daily Sport
It's a senior victory formation for this Big Game - Eddie Plantaric, Ricky Seale, Jeff Trojan among the seniors out there.: 15 hours ago, Stanford Daily Sport
Stanford will just take knees to end the game instead of running up the score.: 15 hours ago, Stanford Daily Sport
There's turnover number 5 - an easy pick by Terrence Alexander. Almost a pick 6, but knocked out of bounds at the 4.: 15 hours ago, Stanford Daily Sport
Gautam Krishnamurthi got in on that last drive for his final Big Game!: 15 hours ago, Stanford Daily Sport
Lasco hits the perimeter and rolls in for the garbage-time touchdown. It's now a 38-17 ballgame.: 16 hours ago, Stanford Daily Sport

Cardinal blows lead, narrowly takes down Cal

In what appeared at halftime to be a game heading toward disaster for the No. 21 California Golden Bears (14-6, 6-3 Pac-12), the underdogs instead gave the No. 4 Stanford women’s basketball team (20-1, 9-0) its closest game in three weeks when it closed the lead to five points with about 20 seconds to play. The Cardinal came out on top in the end, beating its rivals 70-64.

Stanford senior Chiney Ogwumike (right) recorded her 16th double-double in 21 games this season as the Cardinal held off Cal. (FRANK CHEN/The Stanford Daily)

Stanford went into the half with a comfortable 43-25 lead, capped off by a buzzer-beater 3-pointer by freshman Karlie Samuelson. Samuelson was the second-leading scorer for the Card with 14 points. Senior forward Chiney Ogwumike led all Cardinal scorers with 23 points and 12 rebounds, snagging her 16th double-double of the season. Junior guard Taylor Greenfield had 10 points to round off Stanford’s double-digit scoring performances.

For Cal, junior point guard Brittany Boyd led all scorers with 25 points and two steals, while senior guard Afure Jemerigbe tallied 18 points. It wasn’t enough, however, as Cal’s leading scorer Reshanda Gray (17.3 points per game) didn’t score a single point and didn’t even play half the game.

Cal struggled at the end of the first half and at the beginning of the second in shooting efficiency and transition defense. However, the Bears seemed to shake off the evident frustration and pull it together enough to outscore the Card in the second half 39-27.

Stanford will travel to Cal on Sunday to take on the Golden Bears in the second half of the Battle of the Bay doubleheader and will need to make the necessary adjustments to play consistently dominant basketball if it is to challenge Cal on the Bears’ home court. Tipoff at Haas Pavilion is set for 1 p.m.

About Ashley Westhem

Ashley Westhem is the voice of Stanford women’s basketball for KZSU as well as The Daily’s beat writer for the team and aids in KZSU’s coverage of football. She has been a desk editor for three volumes and now serves as Managing Editor of Sports. She is an American Studies major from Lake Tahoe, Calif., and aspires to work in sports administration, to positively affect the lives of student-athletes and the relationship between the athletic and academic spheres of universities.