RT @StanfordWVB: .@StanfordWVB (18-0) off to its best start to a season since 1994 (20-0), led today by Morgan Boukather's career high 18 k…: 1 day ago, Stanford Daily Sport
@andi_mcc @MsIngaSpoke @BlockInTheBack Thanks a lot. Never got sent quotes from last night's presser for some reason.: 1 day ago, Stanford Daily Sport
Stanford drops to 4-3, the first time the Cardinal have three regular-season losses since 2009.: 2 days ago, Stanford Daily Sport
Stanford will fall out of the AP top-25 poll for the first time in 73 weeks.: 2 days ago, Stanford Daily Sport
Arizona State 26, Stanford 10, final.: 2 days ago, Stanford Daily Sport
Hogan's 4th and 10 jump ball to Montgomery falls short, and that's going to do it.: 2 days ago, Stanford Daily Sport
3rd and 10 with the game on the line... and why is Montgomery not out there?: 2 days ago, Stanford Daily Sport
This drive again a reminder that Stanford is not a team that plays from behind. This two-minute drill is kind of atrocious.: 2 days ago, Stanford Daily Sport

Cardinal blows lead, narrowly takes down Cal

In what appeared at halftime to be a game heading toward disaster for the No. 21 California Golden Bears (14-6, 6-3 Pac-12), the underdogs instead gave the No. 4 Stanford women’s basketball team (20-1, 9-0) its closest game in three weeks when it closed the lead to five points with about 20 seconds to play. The Cardinal came out on top in the end, beating its rivals 70-64.

Stanford senior Chiney Ogwumike (right) recorded her 16th double-double in 21 games this season as the Cardinal held off Cal. (FRANK CHEN/The Stanford Daily)

Stanford went into the half with a comfortable 43-25 lead, capped off by a buzzer-beater 3-pointer by freshman Karlie Samuelson. Samuelson was the second-leading scorer for the Card with 14 points. Senior forward Chiney Ogwumike led all Cardinal scorers with 23 points and 12 rebounds, snagging her 16th double-double of the season. Junior guard Taylor Greenfield had 10 points to round off Stanford’s double-digit scoring performances.

For Cal, junior point guard Brittany Boyd led all scorers with 25 points and two steals, while senior guard Afure Jemerigbe tallied 18 points. It wasn’t enough, however, as Cal’s leading scorer Reshanda Gray (17.3 points per game) didn’t score a single point and didn’t even play half the game.

Cal struggled at the end of the first half and at the beginning of the second in shooting efficiency and transition defense. However, the Bears seemed to shake off the evident frustration and pull it together enough to outscore the Card in the second half 39-27.

Stanford will travel to Cal on Sunday to take on the Golden Bears in the second half of the Battle of the Bay doubleheader and will need to make the necessary adjustments to play consistently dominant basketball if it is to challenge Cal on the Bears’ home court. Tipoff at Haas Pavilion is set for 1 p.m.

About Ashley Westhem

Ashley Westhem is the voice of Stanford women’s basketball for KZSU as well as The Daily’s beat writer for the team and aids in KZSU’s coverage of football. She has been a desk editor for three volumes and now serves as Managing Editor of Sports. She is an American Studies major from Lake Tahoe, Calif., and aspires to work in sports administration, to positively affect the lives of student-athletes and the relationship between the athletic and academic spheres of universities.
Advertisment ad adsense adlogger