Dwight Powell on SportsCenter now as the "other piece" of the Rondo trade: 11 hours ago, Stanford Daily Sport
ICYMI, Dwight Powell was traded from the Celtics to the Mavs as part of the Rajon Rondo deal yesterday.: 18 hours ago, Stanford Daily Sport
RT @StanfordWVB: Final: @PennStateVBALL 3, @StanfordWVB 1 Cardinal ends the season 33-2, tying for the most wins in program history. #gosta: 1 day ago, Stanford Daily Sport
Cardinal within one after block from Bugg and Ajanaku. A hush over the crowd in OKC as it's 20-19 PSU in the fourth, up two sets to one.: 1 day ago, Stanford Daily Sport
It's getting late quickly for the Card. PSU up 18-15 in the fourth set. Another Dunning timeout, this one the most important of the year.: 1 day ago, Stanford Daily Sport
PSU with three straight points to even the fourth set at 13. Timeout Stanford.: 1 day ago, Stanford Daily Sport
Cardinal up 10-7 in the fourth set. Down two sets to one.: 1 day ago, Stanford Daily Sport
Stanford has been down 2-1 three times this season, and it has a 2-1 record in those matches. (W @ Illinois, W @ Colorado, L @ Washington): 1 day ago, Stanford Daily Sport
Card closed to within one point on three occasions towards the end of the 3rd, but couldn't pull it out. PSU wins it 25-22, takes 2-1 lead.: 1 day ago, Stanford Daily Sport
RT @jwallach12: Neither team has been able to get in a rhythm since the beginning of the first set. It's a dogfight out there. Exactly what…: 1 day ago, Stanford Daily Sport

Ed Reynolds, Cam Fleming to enter NFL Draft

Stanford senior free safety Ed Reynolds and senior right tackle Cam Fleming announced on Tuesday that they would forego their fifth years of eligibility and enter the NFL Draft. Some analysts project Reynolds to be as high as a second-round pick, while Fleming will probably be a mid- to late-round selection.

Senior free safety Ed Reynolds (left) announced on Tuesday that he would enter the 2014 NFL Draft. (SAM GIRVIN/The Stanford Daily)

Senior free safety Ed Reynolds (29) announced on Tuesday that he would enter the 2014 NFL Draft. (SAM GIRVIN/The Stanford Daily)

“I would [like] to thank the Stanford football family for putting me in this position and preparing me for the next level,” Reynolds said in a statement. “A very special thanks to our coaching staff, support staff and my teammates for making the memories of these past four years last a lifetime … A better script could not have been written for my experience at Stanford as a student-athlete.”

Reynolds earned first-team All-Pac-12 and CBSSports.com first-team All-America honors this year, and he will return to school this spring and in the offseason to finish his Political Science degree.

After sitting out the 2011 season with an ACL/MCL tear, the Stoneville, N.C., native burst onto the scene in 2012, intercepting six passes and leading the country in pick-sixes (three) and interception return yards (301). Had he not been marked down at the 1-yard line on his final interception return of the season yet not overturned — a ruling that was seemingly contradicted by instant replay — Reynolds would have tied FBS records in both categories.

Reynolds’ 2013 season was certainly less impressive from a statistical standpoint, as his only interception came in the first game of the season against San Jose State. In large part, however, that downturn was a result of the respect he commanded from opposing teams, as the All-American was rarely targeted with downfield passes in 2013. Despite that fact, Reynolds finished third on the team with 87 tackles.

Though Reynolds’ departure was expected, it leaves the Cardinal with serious questions to answer at the free safety position. His primary backup, classmate Devon Carrington, is out of eligibility and will not return in 2014, while former free safety Drew Madhu was forced to retire before last season for medical reasons. Stanford is so thin at safety that sophomore quarterback Dallas Lloyd joined the position group during the team’s Rose Bowl practices.

Fleming’s departure will also hit the Cardinal hard. A second-team All-Pac-12 selection this season and a two-time All-Pac-12 honorable mention recipient, Fleming played in 39 games for the Cardinal — all starts — in the last three seasons after redshirting his freshman year, as he quietly became one of the cornerstones of a formidable Stanford offensive line.

Senior offensive tackle Cameron Fleming (left) rounded out Stanford's 2014 draft class by declaring his intention to enter the NFL Draft on Tuesday. (LUIS AGUILAR/The Stanford Daily)

Senior offensive tackle Cameron Fleming (73) rounded out Stanford’s 2014 draft class by declaring his intention to enter the NFL Draft on Tuesday. (LUIS AGUILAR/The Stanford Daily)

Fleming, along with center Sam Schwartzstein ’12 and senior guard David Yankey, burst onto Stanford’s offensive line scene in 2011 as part of a younger corps that maintained the lofty standards of the departed 2010 graduating class of linemen. He started 11 out of the Cardinal’s 13 games in 2011 as a redshirt freshman — missing two games with an ankle injury — and was key in run blocking and pass protection for one of the most dominant offenses in school history.

In the next two seasons, Fleming started all 28 games at right tackle and helped anchor a Stanford offensive line that quickly became acknowledged as one of the best in the nation. His large size — 6-foot-6, 318 pounds — and solid fundamentals meant that he was rarely beaten on the edge by his blocking assignments, and also helped him pave the way for both Stepfan Taylor ‘12 and senior Tyler Gaffney to have historic rushing seasons.

Fleming’s departure will mark a fundamental changing of the guard on the offensive line for the Cardinal. Left guard David Yankey, fifth-year senior center Khalil Wilkes and fifth-year senior right guard Kevin Danser are all leaving the team as well, paving the way for the linemen of the highly touted 2012 recruiting class to take their places. Sophomore Kyle Murphy—a five-star recruit—and junior Brendon Austin will likely compete to replace Fleming at right tackle, while sophomore guards Johnny Caspers and Joshua Garnett will look to take on starting roles as well.

Fleming, who will earn his undergraduate degree in aeronautics and astronautics this spring, joins Yankey and Reynolds in electing to enter the draft. Linebacker A.J. Tarpley and defensive linemen Henry Anderson and David Parry have announced that they will return for one more season.

Contact Joseph Beyda at jbeyda ‘at’ stanford.edu and Do-Hyoung Park at dpark027 ‘at’ stanford.edu.

About Joseph Beyda

Joseph Beyda is the executive editor of The Stanford Daily. Previously he has worked as the football editor, a sports desk editor, the paper's summer managing editor and a beat reporter for football, baseball and women's soccer. He co-authored The Daily's recent football book, "Rags to Roses," and covered the soccer team's national title run for the New York Times. Joseph is a senior from Cupertino, Calif. majoring in Electrical Engineering. To contact him, please email jbeyda "at" stanford.edu.