Dwight Powell on SportsCenter now as the "other piece" of the Rondo trade: 15 hours ago, Stanford Daily Sport
ICYMI, Dwight Powell was traded from the Celtics to the Mavs as part of the Rajon Rondo deal yesterday.: 22 hours ago, Stanford Daily Sport
RT @StanfordWVB: Final: @PennStateVBALL 3, @StanfordWVB 1 Cardinal ends the season 33-2, tying for the most wins in program history. #gosta: 1 day ago, Stanford Daily Sport
Cardinal within one after block from Bugg and Ajanaku. A hush over the crowd in OKC as it's 20-19 PSU in the fourth, up two sets to one.: 1 day ago, Stanford Daily Sport
It's getting late quickly for the Card. PSU up 18-15 in the fourth set. Another Dunning timeout, this one the most important of the year.: 1 day ago, Stanford Daily Sport
PSU with three straight points to even the fourth set at 13. Timeout Stanford.: 1 day ago, Stanford Daily Sport
Cardinal up 10-7 in the fourth set. Down two sets to one.: 1 day ago, Stanford Daily Sport
Stanford has been down 2-1 three times this season, and it has a 2-1 record in those matches. (W @ Illinois, W @ Colorado, L @ Washington): 1 day ago, Stanford Daily Sport
Card closed to within one point on three occasions towards the end of the 3rd, but couldn't pull it out. PSU wins it 25-22, takes 2-1 lead.: 1 day ago, Stanford Daily Sport
RT @jwallach12: Neither team has been able to get in a rhythm since the beginning of the first set. It's a dogfight out there. Exactly what…: 1 day ago, Stanford Daily Sport

Modi’s spectacular debut powers Stanford past Cal

Stanford men’s gymnastics opened its season in the best possible way for a Cardinal athletic team: beating Cal in Berkeley. The Cardinal, powered by the remarkable debut of freshman Akash Modi and five individual victories in the six events, beat the Bears in their home gym for the second consecutive season.

Freshman Akash Modi

Freshman Akash Modi (above) made a strong collegiate debut, scoring two individual victories and taking the all-around title. (DON FERIA/isiphotos.com)

As a team, the Cardinal won five out of the six events, but the meet did not start out auspiciously. Cal slightly edged out Stanford in the floor exercise to begin the afternoon, 72.300 to 72.000. Modi won the event in his collegiate debut with a 16.350, a remarkable .550 clear of second place, to keep Stanford in striking distance.

Stanford took the lead for the first time on the pommel horse behind the winning effort of senior Chris Turner. Turner executed on a high-difficulty routine to be the only gymnast to break the 15-point mark on the pommel horse, finishing with a 15.050.

The Cardinal and the Golden Bears traded narrow wins over the next two events: the rings and the vault. Sophomore Dennis Zaremski picked up the individual victory on the rings with a score of 15.100, and Modi led the Cardinal with a second-place 15.000 in the vault.

Stanford pulled away for good on the parallel bars, dominating Cal by over a full point, 71.300 to 70.200. Modi again led the way for Stanford, picking up his third team-high score and second individual victory of the afternoon with a 15.250.

With a comfortable lead already in hand, Stanford didn’t settle in the final event: the high bar. The Cardinal pummeled the Bears by 2.300 points, led by fifth-year senior Paul Hichwa, who won the event with a score of 15.000.

Only four gymnasts competed in every event of the meet: Modi of Stanford and three Cal gymnasts. Modi had the highest score of the four, finishing what will surely be an unforgettable collegiate debut with an all-around score of 88.150, just clear of Cal’s Donothan Bailey, who scored an 87.800.

Cal will have its chance for revenge this Saturday, when the Cardinal hosts the Golden Bears at 4 p.m. Cal will also return to the Farm the following Saturday as one of the four teams at the Stanford Open.

Contact Sam Fisher at safisher ‘at’ stanford.edu.

About Sam Fisher

Sam Fisher is the managing editor of sports for The Stanford Daily's Vol. 244. Sam also does play-by-play for KZSU's coverage of Stanford football, Stanford baseball and Stanford women's basketball. In 2013, Sam co-authored "Rags to Roses: The Rise of Stanford Football," with Joseph Beyda and George Chen.