Fashion Spotlight: Radiant Orchid

Let’s talk about the it-color of the year: Radiant Orchid. This gorgeous purple hue is nothing less than everything for 2014, at least for Pantone, the nationwide authority on color. They’re so serious about this color that you can buy anything from a pillow to a flash drive in the perfected radiant orchid hue. But for the average fashionista, matching this color with a pretty similar hue will suffice. Look for a lighter, pinker purple and you’re there.

Finishing off an outfit can be as simple as a Radiant Orchid-colored coat! (CLIFF OWL/The Stanford Daily)

To help you start the New Year right in the fashion world, here’s some inspiration to keep you looking up-to-date (emerald green is so 2013, don’t you agree?):

1. I’ll start with the Stretch-jersey Mini Dress from Splendid. Simple, cute, and comfortable; this dress has it all. Wear it on its own, or add a belt or some jewelry. But no matter what you do, you’ll be sure to be the most fashionably up-to-date person on campus the second you slip this frock on. It’s available on Net-A-Porter.

2. Another great way to incorporate radiant orchid into your style (without being too flashy) is the Nars nail polish “Chinatown” available at Lord and Taylor. It not only looks like a perfect match to radiant orchid, but also is flattering on almost any skin tone. It’s a subtle way of saying, “Yes, I do know that it’s now 2014.”

3. Finally, pants. Now I know the prospect of purple pants may sound like too much for some of you, but let me present the “deep garnet” Sloans from Banana Republic. No, they’re not exactly radiant orchid, but they are a festive way to add some color to your wardrobe while staying in the same color family as this year’s top hue. And regardless of color, the Sloan pants are definitely a worthwhile investment. If you haven’t already heard of them, I recommend dropping everything and making your way over to Banana Republic immediately. They may just be the most comfortable and flattering pants in the world, and can very easily be dressed up or down. Get the deep garnet ones fast, as they’re already on sale.

If none of these strike your fancy, don’t fret —

there are thousands of purple fashion options out there, and there’s nothing a little shopping can’t fix. Just remember: what’s the easiest way to be fashionable this year? Add a little orchid into your wardrobe, and see how life changing it just might be.