Parry knew he wasn't going to play all week and he acted as an extra coach and mentor to Phillips as the week progressed.: 27 mins ago, Stanford Daily Sport
Shaw says it's good to see explosive TD strikes again because "that's the kind of players we've got.": 28 mins ago, Stanford Daily Sport
As coaches, the staff was looking to make the game as simple and fun as possible for offense. "Streamlining" was a word that was used: 31 mins ago, Stanford Daily Sport
Shaw attributes the sacks to great coverage forcing Mannion to not get the ball off more than anything else.: 33 mins ago, Stanford Daily Sport
"Point blank: what we had been doing wasn't good enough." Shaw about the offense: 35 mins ago, Stanford Daily Sport
Shaw says that the world was never crashing down for the team inside the locker room. Never felt that way.: 40 mins ago, Stanford Daily Sport
"Washington State was close, but for the first time offensively, it felt like us." - Shaw: 42 mins ago, Stanford Daily Sport
Stanford 38, Oregon State 14. Final.: 57 mins ago, Stanford Daily Sport
Eddie Plantaric in at fullback! Can't remember that happening in the recent past: 1 hour ago, Stanford Daily Sport

Men’s volleyball hosts Lewis, Grand Canyon to begin home schedule

No. 4 Stanford men’s volleyball (1-0) will face No. 8 Lewis University (1-1) Friday night in the team’s home opener before preparing to host Grand Canyon University on Saturday.

Senior outside hitter Steven Irvin (above) had 14 kills in Stanford's season-opening win against No. 2 UCLA. (MADELINE SIDES/The Stanford Daily)

Senior outside hitter Steven Irvin (above) had 14 kills in Stanford’s season-opening win against No. 2 UCLA. (MADELINE SIDES/The Stanford Daily)

Fresh off a commanding performance in which it beat No. 2 UCLA, the Cardinal has moved up in the national rankings, but Stanford will still have its work cut out for it in the home opener. The Flyers have already had a tough schedule, losing to defending national champion UC-Irvine in their season opener in four very close sets (21-25, 25-19, 26-24, 25-23). Four days later, Lewis faced No. 3 Brigham Young and defeated the Cougars in four sets (25-22, 23-25, 25-21, 25-23).

The Cardinal’s offense looked strong against UCLA, hitting .433 for the match. Senior outside hitters Brian Cook and Steven Irvin had very solid offensive performances, taking their place early on as the leaders of Stanford’s offense.

Stanford will also look toward its four returning seniors for leadership and the ability to play consistently and with poise in a stressful situation. Furthermore, Stanford will be helped if sophomore setter James Shaw can follow up his 53-assist match against UCLA with another stellar performance.

Lewis’ main offensive threat against Stanford will come from juniors Greg Petty and Geoff Powell, who both have averaged at least 3.5 kills per set so far this season. Lewis setter BJ Boldog finished 10thin the nation last season, averaging 10.29 assists per set. Boldog and Powell were named to the 2014 Preseason All-MIVA Team.

Stanford will also face Grand Canyon in the only match at Burnham Pavilion this season. The match will be Grand Canyon’s season opener. GCU’s offense will be led by senior outside hitter Ben Ponnet, who is a two-time all-conference selection.

Friday’s match against the Flyers and Saturday’s against the Antelopes will both be held at 7 p.m.

Contact Eliza Thompson at elizat ‘at’ stanford.edu.

Advertisment ad adsense adlogger