Shaw on the Burns fumbled snap: "It was a poor center-quarterback exchange. It was supposed to be a pass and I saw two guys open.": 2 days ago, StanfordDaily Sports
Shaw: "We practiced outstanding the last two weeks...It's my job to figure out how to translate that to the game.": 2 days ago, StanfordDaily Sports
Shaw: "I don't know if there's a better football player on defense in the country than Solomon Thomas.": 2 days ago, StanfordDaily Sports
Shaw: "We're not playing at the level we need at the quarterback.": 2 days ago, StanfordDaily Sports
Shaw: "Offensively, there's a lot of questions we have to answer as a staff...that's on me.": 2 days ago, StanfordDaily Sports
Shaw: "The defense was outstanding...Coach Lance Anderson did a fantastic job.": 2 days ago, StanfordDaily Sports
This is the first time Stanford failed to score a touchdown since the game-that-must-not-named (i.e. 2015 Northwestern): 2 days ago, StanfordDaily Sports

Stanford releases 2014 football schedule

The Pac-12 released Stanford football’s full 2014 schedule on Wednesday afternoon, featuring nine conference matchups and six home games. As was the case in 2012, Stanford will have three consecutive home games to open the season before most of the student body arrives on campus for the new school year.

The Cardinal will open the season against UC-Davis in place of the annual Bill Walsh Legacy Game against San Jose State, which was discontinued after the schools’ athletic departments failed to reach an agreement.

Stanford will then host its annual rivalry game against a new-look USC team looking to make a resurgence in the Pac-12 after the hiring of new head coach Steve Sarkisian and win at Stanford Stadium for the first time since 2008. The Cardinal will end its homestand with a non-conference game against Army before a bye week that will coincide with the arrival of most students on campus.

Back-to-back road trips to Seattle to face Washington and South Bend to battle Notre Dame will serve as a stiff early-season test given the Cardinal’s road woes in 2013, the hostile environment of Husky Stadium and the return of quarterback Everett Golson to the helm of the Fighting Irish offense. Stanford will be looking to avenge its losses to Washington and Notre Dame in its previous road games against the two teams.

A Friday night home game against a resurgent Washington State team is followed by perhaps the toughest stretch of the season: a rematch of the 2013 Pac-12 Championship Game in Tempe against Arizona State, a home matchup with an experienced quarterback in Sean Mannion and Oregon State and, of course, the annual matchup against fellow Pac-12 North powerhouse Oregon.

As has been the case in the last few years, the contest between the Ducks and Cardinal has the potential to be the de facto Pac-12 North championship game. With quarterback Marcus Mariota and cornerback Ifo Ekpre-Olomu both returning to the Ducks for another season, the Cardinal will face the toughest challenge of its season at Autzen Stadium.

After another bye week, the Cardinal hopes to avenge last season’s heartbreaking loss to Utah when it hosts the Utes at home before it travels across the Bay for the 117th Big Game, facing a Cal team that is looking to bounce back from one of the worst seasons in recent memory.

For the second time in three seasons, Stanford will wrap up its regular season at the Rose Bowl Stadium against UCLA. The Bruins, led by returning quarterback Brett Hundley, will be looking to snap a six-game losing streak against the Cardinal in another unusual Friday night game.

If the Cardinal can win its third consecutive Pac-12 North crown, it will play in its third Friday night game of the 2014 season in the Pac-12 Championship Game on Dec. 5.

Full schedule:

Aug. 30 – UC-Davis
Sept. 6 – USC
Sept. 13 – Army
Sept. 20 – BYE
Sept. 27 – at Washington (Seattle)
Oct. 4 – at Notre Dame (South Bend, Ind.)
Oct. 10 (Fri.) – Washington State
Oct. 18 – at Arizona State (Tempe, Ariz.)
Oct. 25 – Oregon State
Nov. 1 – at Oregon (Eugene, Ore.)
Nov. 8 – BYE
Nov. 15 – Utah
Nov. 22 – at California (Berkeley)
Nov. 28 (Fri.) – at UCLA (Pasadena, Calif.)

Contact Do-Hyoung Park at dpark027 ‘at’ stanford.edu.

About Do-Hyoung Park

Do-Hyoung Park '16 honestly isn't quite sure what he does for The Stanford Daily anymore, apart from the fact that he still writes a lot about football and gets cranky at the sports editors. He also writes for (or has written for) The Bootleg, Sports Illustrated and MLB.com and has been a four-time Managing Editor at The Daily. After graduating in June with degrees in Chemical Engineering and Computer Science, he's begrudgingly staying on for his master's in Chemical Engineering as well. Please feel free to troll him at dhpark 'at' stanford.edu.
  • CardinalFan

Tough as hell. Don’t see us winning more than 9 of those games next year.