RT @Gibbsyyyy: First slam win at the US OPEN!!!!!!! Whaaat 😁: 15 hours ago, Stanford Daily Sport
RT @JB_Long: Party in backfield? More like rave. @StanfordFball NATIONAL ranks under Shaw: Sacks - 1 Sack Differential-1 TFLs - 1 TFL Diffe…: 15 hours ago, Stanford Daily Sport
RT @StanfordRivals: Starting ILB Blake Martinez said his body fat percentage has decreased by 50% since the beginning of his #Stanford care…: 19 hours ago, Stanford Daily Sport
RT @DavidMLombardi: Ronnie Harris will likely start at CB for Stanford on Saturday vs. UC Davis as Alex Carter works back into things: 20 hours ago, Stanford Daily Sport
RT @StanfordFball: "We just got the last clearance from the doctors. He (@TyMontgomery2) will play this week." - @CoachDavidShaw on @KNBR #…: 21 hours ago, Stanford Daily Sport

Montgomery earns “The Jet” award for best kickoff returner

(SIMON WARBY/The Stanford Daily)

Junior kick returner Ty Montgomery (7) finished his junior year with two returns for touchdowns and led the nation in yards per kickoff return. (SIMON WARBY/The Stanford Daily)

Stanford junior wide receiver and kick returner Ty Montgomery was awarded “The Jet” return specialist award Tuesday.

The award is voted on by college football writers and broadcasters and is named after 1972 Heisman trophy winner Johnny “The Jet” Rodgers. Montgomery will officially receive the award at a ceremony on Thursday, April 10, in Omaha, Neb.

Montgomery is the third winner of the award. The previous two winners were Joe Adams of Arkansas and Tavon Austin of West Virginia.

The junior was an All-American at kick returner this season. Montgomery averaged 31.2 yards per kickoff return and had two returns for touchdowns, including one to open Stanford’s 31-28 win against Washington on Oct. 5.

Montgomery appeared to injure his left knee near the end of the Rose Bowl Game on Jan. 1 against Michigan State. Head coach David Shaw said that Montgomery would have an MRI, but there has been no official word on the results of the test as of yet.

Montgomery, who has not taken a redshirt season, has one year of eligibility remaining for the Cardinal.

About Sam Fisher

Sam Fisher is the managing editor of sports for The Stanford Daily's Vol. 244. Sam also does play-by-play for KZSU's coverage of Stanford football, Stanford baseball and Stanford women's basketball. In 2013, Sam co-authored "Rags to Roses: The Rise of Stanford Football," with Joseph Beyda and George Chen.