RT @StanfordFball: Stanford ranks No. 1 in the nation in scoring defense (4.3 ppg), total defense (204.3 ypg) and passing defense (66.0 ypg…: 2 days ago, Stanford Daily Sport
Stanford 35, Army 0. Final.: 3 days ago, Stanford Daily Sport
Looks like Stanford will preserve the shutout.: 3 days ago, Stanford Daily Sport
Hogan connects with Montgomery for a 32-yard TD pass with 6:09 left: 3 days ago, Stanford Daily Sport
Montgomery was down on the ground for a bit longer than normal. Looks like he's okay though.: 3 days ago, Stanford Daily Sport
Tarpley doing what he's best at: pass coverage: 3 days ago, Stanford Daily Sport
Great block by Johnny Caspers on the TD run.: 3 days ago, Stanford Daily Sport
Montgomery gets into the end zone out of the Wildcat. Stanford up 28-0 with 11:35 left in the game.: 3 days ago, Stanford Daily Sport
Stanford will take over at the Army 35.: 3 days ago, Stanford Daily Sport

Montgomery earns “The Jet” award for best kickoff returner

(SIMON WARBY/The Stanford Daily)

Junior kick returner Ty Montgomery (7) finished his junior year with two returns for touchdowns and led the nation in yards per kickoff return. (SIMON WARBY/The Stanford Daily)

Stanford junior wide receiver and kick returner Ty Montgomery was awarded “The Jet” return specialist award Tuesday.

The award is voted on by college football writers and broadcasters and is named after 1972 Heisman trophy winner Johnny “The Jet” Rodgers. Montgomery will officially receive the award at a ceremony on Thursday, April 10, in Omaha, Neb.

Montgomery is the third winner of the award. The previous two winners were Joe Adams of Arkansas and Tavon Austin of West Virginia.

The junior was an All-American at kick returner this season. Montgomery averaged 31.2 yards per kickoff return and had two returns for touchdowns, including one to open Stanford’s 31-28 win against Washington on Oct. 5.

Montgomery appeared to injure his left knee near the end of the Rose Bowl Game on Jan. 1 against Michigan State. Head coach David Shaw said that Montgomery would have an MRI, but there has been no official word on the results of the test as of yet.

Montgomery, who has not taken a redshirt season, has one year of eligibility remaining for the Cardinal.

About Sam Fisher

Sam Fisher is the managing editor of sports for The Stanford Daily's Vol. 244. Sam also does play-by-play for KZSU's coverage of Stanford football, Stanford baseball and Stanford women's basketball. In 2013, Sam co-authored "Rags to Roses: The Rise of Stanford Football," with Joseph Beyda and George Chen.