Dwight Powell on SportsCenter now as the "other piece" of the Rondo trade: 16 hours ago, Stanford Daily Sport
ICYMI, Dwight Powell was traded from the Celtics to the Mavs as part of the Rajon Rondo deal yesterday.: 24 hours ago, Stanford Daily Sport
RT @StanfordWVB: Final: @PennStateVBALL 3, @StanfordWVB 1 Cardinal ends the season 33-2, tying for the most wins in program history. #gosta: 1 day ago, Stanford Daily Sport
Cardinal within one after block from Bugg and Ajanaku. A hush over the crowd in OKC as it's 20-19 PSU in the fourth, up two sets to one.: 1 day ago, Stanford Daily Sport
It's getting late quickly for the Card. PSU up 18-15 in the fourth set. Another Dunning timeout, this one the most important of the year.: 1 day ago, Stanford Daily Sport
PSU with three straight points to even the fourth set at 13. Timeout Stanford.: 1 day ago, Stanford Daily Sport
Cardinal up 10-7 in the fourth set. Down two sets to one.: 1 day ago, Stanford Daily Sport
Stanford has been down 2-1 three times this season, and it has a 2-1 record in those matches. (W @ Illinois, W @ Colorado, L @ Washington): 1 day ago, Stanford Daily Sport
Card closed to within one point on three occasions towards the end of the 3rd, but couldn't pull it out. PSU wins it 25-22, takes 2-1 lead.: 1 day ago, Stanford Daily Sport
RT @jwallach12: Neither team has been able to get in a rhythm since the beginning of the first set. It's a dogfight out there. Exactly what…: 1 day ago, Stanford Daily Sport

Montgomery earns “The Jet” award for best kickoff returner

(SIMON WARBY/The Stanford Daily)

Junior kick returner Ty Montgomery (7) finished his junior year with two returns for touchdowns and led the nation in yards per kickoff return. (SIMON WARBY/The Stanford Daily)

Stanford junior wide receiver and kick returner Ty Montgomery was awarded “The Jet” return specialist award Tuesday.

The award is voted on by college football writers and broadcasters and is named after 1972 Heisman trophy winner Johnny “The Jet” Rodgers. Montgomery will officially receive the award at a ceremony on Thursday, April 10, in Omaha, Neb.

Montgomery is the third winner of the award. The previous two winners were Joe Adams of Arkansas and Tavon Austin of West Virginia.

The junior was an All-American at kick returner this season. Montgomery averaged 31.2 yards per kickoff return and had two returns for touchdowns, including one to open Stanford’s 31-28 win against Washington on Oct. 5.

Montgomery appeared to injure his left knee near the end of the Rose Bowl Game on Jan. 1 against Michigan State. Head coach David Shaw said that Montgomery would have an MRI, but there has been no official word on the results of the test as of yet.

Montgomery, who has not taken a redshirt season, has one year of eligibility remaining for the Cardinal.

About Sam Fisher

Sam Fisher is the managing editor of sports for The Stanford Daily's Vol. 244. Sam also does play-by-play for KZSU's coverage of Stanford football, Stanford baseball and Stanford women's basketball. In 2013, Sam co-authored "Rags to Roses: The Rise of Stanford Football," with Joseph Beyda and George Chen.