Over the 5-game win streak in the Big Game, Stanford has outscored Cal 201-75.: 8 hours ago, Stanford Daily Sport
None of Stanford's seniors will leave this school ever having lost the Big Game. Fifth straight claim to the Axe for your Cardinal.: 8 hours ago, Stanford Daily Sport
Stanford is bowl-eligible with its sixth win of the season!: 8 hours ago, Stanford Daily Sport
And it's a final from California Memorial Stadium - Stanford 38, Cal 17 in the 117th Big Game.: 8 hours ago, Stanford Daily Sport
It's a senior victory formation for this Big Game - Eddie Plantaric, Ricky Seale, Jeff Trojan among the seniors out there.: 8 hours ago, Stanford Daily Sport
Stanford will just take knees to end the game instead of running up the score.: 8 hours ago, Stanford Daily Sport
There's turnover number 5 - an easy pick by Terrence Alexander. Almost a pick 6, but knocked out of bounds at the 4.: 8 hours ago, Stanford Daily Sport
Gautam Krishnamurthi got in on that last drive for his final Big Game!: 8 hours ago, Stanford Daily Sport
Lasco hits the perimeter and rolls in for the garbage-time touchdown. It's now a 38-17 ballgame.: 8 hours ago, Stanford Daily Sport

Montgomery earns “The Jet” award for best kickoff returner

(SIMON WARBY/The Stanford Daily)

Junior kick returner Ty Montgomery (7) finished his junior year with two returns for touchdowns and led the nation in yards per kickoff return. (SIMON WARBY/The Stanford Daily)

Stanford junior wide receiver and kick returner Ty Montgomery was awarded “The Jet” return specialist award Tuesday.

The award is voted on by college football writers and broadcasters and is named after 1972 Heisman trophy winner Johnny “The Jet” Rodgers. Montgomery will officially receive the award at a ceremony on Thursday, April 10, in Omaha, Neb.

Montgomery is the third winner of the award. The previous two winners were Joe Adams of Arkansas and Tavon Austin of West Virginia.

The junior was an All-American at kick returner this season. Montgomery averaged 31.2 yards per kickoff return and had two returns for touchdowns, including one to open Stanford’s 31-28 win against Washington on Oct. 5.

Montgomery appeared to injure his left knee near the end of the Rose Bowl Game on Jan. 1 against Michigan State. Head coach David Shaw said that Montgomery would have an MRI, but there has been no official word on the results of the test as of yet.

Montgomery, who has not taken a redshirt season, has one year of eligibility remaining for the Cardinal.

About Sam Fisher

Sam Fisher is the managing editor of sports for The Stanford Daily's Vol. 244. Sam also does play-by-play for KZSU's coverage of Stanford football, Stanford baseball and Stanford women's basketball. In 2013, Sam co-authored "Rags to Roses: The Rise of Stanford Football," with Joseph Beyda and George Chen.