Over the 5-game win streak in the Big Game, Stanford has outscored Cal 201-75.: 20 hours ago, Stanford Daily Sport
None of Stanford's seniors will leave this school ever having lost the Big Game. Fifth straight claim to the Axe for your Cardinal.: 20 hours ago, Stanford Daily Sport
Stanford is bowl-eligible with its sixth win of the season!: 20 hours ago, Stanford Daily Sport
And it's a final from California Memorial Stadium - Stanford 38, Cal 17 in the 117th Big Game.: 20 hours ago, Stanford Daily Sport
It's a senior victory formation for this Big Game - Eddie Plantaric, Ricky Seale, Jeff Trojan among the seniors out there.: 20 hours ago, Stanford Daily Sport
Stanford will just take knees to end the game instead of running up the score.: 20 hours ago, Stanford Daily Sport
There's turnover number 5 - an easy pick by Terrence Alexander. Almost a pick 6, but knocked out of bounds at the 4.: 20 hours ago, Stanford Daily Sport
Gautam Krishnamurthi got in on that last drive for his final Big Game!: 20 hours ago, Stanford Daily Sport
Lasco hits the perimeter and rolls in for the garbage-time touchdown. It's now a 38-17 ballgame.: 21 hours ago, Stanford Daily Sport

Rice, Vaculik power gymnastics squad to victory in season opener

The No. 9 Stanford women’s gymnastics team started off its 2014 season with a bang, taking first place at the five-team NorCal Meet in Sacramento on Sunday.

Stanford edged out No. 22 Cal, the only other ranked team in the meet, 194.825 to 194.650, with Sacramento State, UC-Davis and San Jose State trailing from third to fifth respectively.

Redshirt junior Kristina Vaculik

Senior Kristina Vaculik (above) recorded three top-6 finishes for the Stanford women’s gymnastics team in its NorPac Meet victory on Sunday, including a win on the uneven parallel bars. (ROB ERICSON/Stanford Athletics)

The Cardinal had 13 team members compete in the event, with only sophomore Taylor Rice attempting all four events.

The key event for the Cardinal was the uneven parallel bars. On the bars, Stanford scored a 49.050 — the best score in the meet and .375 clear of Cal, which more than accounted for the final score difference — propelled by a first-place finish from senior Kristina Vaculik and a second-place finish from freshman Nicolette McNair. Freshman Danielle McNair, senior Shona Morgan and junior Samantha Shapiro all finished in a tie for seventh with a score of 9.775 to finish out the scoring for the Cardinal.

Stanford also had a meet-high score of 48.875 in vault. Freshman Sophia Lee and sophomore Melissa Chuang tied for first with Serena Leong of Cal to lead the Stanford charge. Freshman Rachel Daum also grabbed a top-five finish while Rice and Nicolette McNair tied for 10th.

The young Cardinal team will look to build off its first-place finish as the competition heats up in the weeks to come. Stanford will host four teams currently ranked in the top 25 during the regular season, starting with tough matchups during the next two weeks.

Stanford hosts No. 8 Georgia this Sunday in the Card’s season opener, which will provide an opportunity for the standout underclassmen to show how they can perform under the pressure of stiff competition. The following Sunday, Stanford will host another tough meet when No. 17 Arizona and Sacramento State come to the Farm.

The dual meet between Stanford and Georgia is scheduled to begin at 2 p.m. on Sunday at Burnham Pavilion.

Contact Sam Fisher at safisher ‘at’ stanford.edu.

About Sam Fisher

Sam Fisher is the managing editor of sports for The Stanford Daily's Vol. 244. Sam also does play-by-play for KZSU's coverage of Stanford football, Stanford baseball and Stanford women's basketball. In 2013, Sam co-authored "Rags to Roses: The Rise of Stanford Football," with Joseph Beyda and George Chen.