RT @si_soccer: U.S. Soccer announces Aron Johannsson (toe infection) is out for Tuesday's game vs Switzerland. Jordan Morris up from U23s t…: 4 hours ago, Stanford Daily Sport
RT @stanfordmswim: David Nolan steps onto the blocks. Goes 1:39.38 in the 200 IM. Fastest ever. NCAA title. Drops mic.: 3 days ago, Stanford Daily Sport
RT @RuleofTree: Quarterback KJ Costello commits to Stanford. 4-star rated as the 33rd best player in the country: 3 days ago, Stanford Daily Sport
RT @treeSIDjorge: Stanford's home tilt with Vanderbilt in 2024 will mark the first ever visit to Stanford Stadium by an SEC program: 4 days ago, Stanford Daily Sport
Stanford announces football series with Vanderbilt (2021/4/5/7) and TCU (2024/7).: 4 days ago, Stanford Daily Sport

Bloomgren named offensive line coach of the year

The college football coaching experts at FootballScoop announced on Monday that Stanford offensive coordinator Mike Bloomgren has earned the honor of offensive line coach of the year for the 2013 season.

Stanford offensive coordinator Mike Bloomgren

Stanford offensive coordinator Mike Bloomgren (above) was named offensive line coach of the year by FootballScoop. The offensive line committed only two holding penalties all season. (DAVID BERNAL/isiphotos.com)

Under Bloomgren’s coaching, the Cardinal offensive line featured a unanimous All-American selection in senior left guard David Yankey and three All-Pac-12 second team selections in senior tackle Cameron Fleming, sophomore tackle Andrus Peat and fifth-year senior center Khalil Wilkes.

The line proved to be disciplined and ready for critical situations throughout the entire season, finishing the regular season with only two holding penalties and playing a key role in Stanford’s third-down conversion rate of 49.75 percent, good for tenth in the nation. It also played a key role in the victory over Oregon as the Cardinal used an overwhelming advantage on the lines to possess the ball for over 42 minutes.

Bloomgren joins strength coach Shannon Turley, defensive line coach Randy Hart and director of football operations Matt Doyle as Stanford personnel recently awarded honors by FootballScoop.

About Do-Hyoung Park

Do-Hyoung Park '16 is a Managing Editor of Sports at The Daily. He is currently serving his second non-consecutive term in that role, making him the new Miles Bennett-Smith of sorts. He's still not quite sure how to feel about this. He's also a two-time sports desk editor, a former head copy editor and proud winner of the "Least Likely to Actually Have Friends Outside The Daily" Award. Do-Hyoung is a junior from Saint Paul, Minnesota studying chemical engineering and computer science. To contact him, please email him at dpark027 'at' stanford.edu.