Next up for @StanfordMBB: No. 4 Kansas on Saturday.: 4 days ago, StanfordDaily Sports
Haase: "We need multiple guys on the offensive end to be efficient...We're not to that point yet.": 4 days ago, StanfordDaily Sports

Bloomgren named offensive line coach of the year

The college football coaching experts at FootballScoop announced on Monday that Stanford offensive coordinator Mike Bloomgren has earned the honor of offensive line coach of the year for the 2013 season.

Stanford offensive coordinator Mike Bloomgren

Stanford offensive coordinator Mike Bloomgren (above) was named offensive line coach of the year by FootballScoop. The offensive line committed only two holding penalties all season. (DAVID BERNAL/isiphotos.com)

Under Bloomgren’s coaching, the Cardinal offensive line featured a unanimous All-American selection in senior left guard David Yankey and three All-Pac-12 second team selections in senior tackle Cameron Fleming, sophomore tackle Andrus Peat and fifth-year senior center Khalil Wilkes.

The line proved to be disciplined and ready for critical situations throughout the entire season, finishing the regular season with only two holding penalties and playing a key role in Stanford’s third-down conversion rate of 49.75 percent, good for tenth in the nation. It also played a key role in the victory over Oregon as the Cardinal used an overwhelming advantage on the lines to possess the ball for over 42 minutes.

Bloomgren joins strength coach Shannon Turley, defensive line coach Randy Hart and director of football operations Matt Doyle as Stanford personnel recently awarded honors by FootballScoop.

About Do-Hyoung Park

Do-Hyoung Park '16 honestly isn't quite sure what he does for The Stanford Daily anymore, apart from the fact that he still writes a lot about football, gets cranky at the sports editors and scares away the new freshmen. He also writes for (or has written for) The Bootleg, Sports Illustrated and MLB.com and has been a four-time Managing Editor at The Daily. After graduating in June with degrees in Chemical Engineering and Computer Science, he's begrudgingly staying on for his master's in Chemical Engineering as well. Please feel free to bother him at dhpark 'at' stanford.edu.