Breaking News

Bloomgren named offensive line coach of the year

The college football coaching experts at FootballScoop announced on Monday that Stanford offensive coordinator Mike Bloomgren has earned the honor of offensive line coach of the year for the 2013 season.

Stanford offensive coordinator Mike Bloomgren

Stanford offensive coordinator Mike Bloomgren (above) was named offensive line coach of the year by FootballScoop. The offensive line committed only two holding penalties all season. (DAVID BERNAL/isiphotos.com)

Under Bloomgren’s coaching, the Cardinal offensive line featured a unanimous All-American selection in senior left guard David Yankey and three All-Pac-12 second team selections in senior tackle Cameron Fleming, sophomore tackle Andrus Peat and fifth-year senior center Khalil Wilkes.

The line proved to be disciplined and ready for critical situations throughout the entire season, finishing the regular season with only two holding penalties and playing a key role in Stanford’s third-down conversion rate of 49.75 percent, good for tenth in the nation. It also played a key role in the victory over Oregon as the Cardinal used an overwhelming advantage on the lines to possess the ball for over 42 minutes.

Bloomgren joins strength coach Shannon Turley, defensive line coach Randy Hart and director of football operations Matt Doyle as Stanford personnel recently awarded honors by FootballScoop.

About Do-Hyoung Park

Do-Hyoung Park '16 is the head copy editor, a sports desk editor and a former Managing Editor of Sports at The Daily. Ever since he lost the election for Vol. 247 Editor in Chief, he has been a shell of his former self. Even so, the other editors on the staff still just input instructions into him and push a button, getting neatly packed football and tennis articles out in return. Do-Hyoung is a junior from Saint Paul, Minnesota studying chemical engineering and computer science. To contact him, please email him at dpark027 'at' stanford.edu.