RT @StanfordWVB: .@StanfordWVB (18-0) off to its best start to a season since 1994 (20-0), led today by Morgan Boukather's career high 18 k…: 1 day ago, Stanford Daily Sport
@andi_mcc @MsIngaSpoke @BlockInTheBack Thanks a lot. Never got sent quotes from last night's presser for some reason.: 1 day ago, Stanford Daily Sport
Stanford drops to 4-3, the first time the Cardinal have three regular-season losses since 2009.: 2 days ago, Stanford Daily Sport
Stanford will fall out of the AP top-25 poll for the first time in 73 weeks.: 2 days ago, Stanford Daily Sport
Arizona State 26, Stanford 10, final.: 2 days ago, Stanford Daily Sport
Hogan's 4th and 10 jump ball to Montgomery falls short, and that's going to do it.: 2 days ago, Stanford Daily Sport
3rd and 10 with the game on the line... and why is Montgomery not out there?: 2 days ago, Stanford Daily Sport
This drive again a reminder that Stanford is not a team that plays from behind. This two-minute drill is kind of atrocious.: 2 days ago, Stanford Daily Sport

NFL Notes: Luck’s epic comeback earns him first playoff win

With Andrew Luck ’12 at quarterback, no deficit is too large.

Despite trailing the Kansas City Chiefs 38-10 early in the third quarter this Saturday, Luck and the Colts maintained a calm confidence and rallied to defeat the Chiefs 45-44 in the second-largest playoff comeback of all time.

Indianapolis Colts quarterback Andrew Luck '12 (above) led the second-biggest playoff comeback in NFL history Saturday. (MICHAEL LIU/The Stanford Daily)

Indianapolis Colts quarterback Andrew Luck ’12 (above) led the second-biggest playoff comeback in NFL history Saturday. (MICHAEL LIU/The Stanford Daily)

The comeback is even more unfathomable considering the fact that Luck threw three interceptions, including two in the second half, with the Colts committing a total of four turnovers on the day. While Luck may have not played the best game of his career, he made the plays he needed to in order to guide the Colts to victory.

“He’s as advertised,” said Chiefs cornerback Sean Smith about Luck. “He went out there and definitely avoided some pressure and made big plays down the field.”

The defining moment of the comeback came with just under 11 minutes remaining and the Colts trailing 41-31. Lined up in the shotgun at the Chiefs 1-yard line, Luck handed the ball off to running back Donald Brown who was hit by Chiefs all-pro safety Eric Berry and subsequently fumbled the ball. The ball popped out of Brown’s arms and fell right in front of Luck, who scooped up the fumble, dove though a pile of lineman and extended his arm into the end zone for a touchdown.

On the Colts’ next possession, Luck hit Indianapolis receiver T.Y. Hilton on a 64-yard touchdown pass to complete the comeback and put the Colts ahead for good. The victory was Luck’s first career playoff win and his 11th game-winning drive in the fourth quarter or overtime.

Luck finished the game 29-for-45 with 443 passing yards and four touchdowns. He also ran for 45 yards on seven carries. After again leading the Colts to an 11-5 regular season, Luck leveled his career record in the playoffs at 1-1 after Indianapolis fell in his first playoff contest last year against the Ravens.

Colts tight end Coby Fleener ’11 recorded five receptions for 46 yards and caught a 12-yard touchdown pass in the third quarter to bring the Colts within 10 at 41-31. Luck’s other former Cardinal target, Griff Whalen ‘12, caught two passes for 26 yards.

***

San Diego linebacker Thomas Keiser ’11 was arrested last Sunday night on suspicion of misdemeanor battery. Keiser was involved in a bar fight in San Diego and did not play in the Chargers 27-10 victory over the Bengals this Sunday. Before the incident, Keiser was in the midst of a breakout season with the Chargers finishing with career-highs in tackles (21) and sacks (4.5).

In another playoff contest, Eagles tight end Zach Ertz ’13 caught what could have been a game-winning 3-yard touchdown pass against the Saints to put the Eagles up 24-23 with just under five minutes remaining. The Eagles were thwarted shortly after, however, when Saints kicker Shayne Graham kicked a 32-yard field goal to give the Saints the 26-24 win.

Contact Michael Peterson at mrpeters ‘at’ stanford.edu.

About Michael Peterson

Michael Peterson is the football editor at The Stanford Daily. He has served as a beat reporter for football, baseball and men’s soccer and also does play-by-play broadcasting of baseball and men’s soccer for KZSU. Michael is a sophomore from Rancho Santa Margarita, Calif. majoring in computer science. To contact him, please email him at mrpeters ‘at’ stanford.edu.
Advertisment ad adsense adlogger