RT @StanfordWVB: .@StanfordWVB (18-0) off to its best start to a season since 1994 (20-0), led today by Morgan Boukather's career high 18 k…: 1 day ago, Stanford Daily Sport
@andi_mcc @MsIngaSpoke @BlockInTheBack Thanks a lot. Never got sent quotes from last night's presser for some reason.: 1 day ago, Stanford Daily Sport
Stanford drops to 4-3, the first time the Cardinal have three regular-season losses since 2009.: 2 days ago, Stanford Daily Sport
Stanford will fall out of the AP top-25 poll for the first time in 73 weeks.: 2 days ago, Stanford Daily Sport
Arizona State 26, Stanford 10, final.: 2 days ago, Stanford Daily Sport
Hogan's 4th and 10 jump ball to Montgomery falls short, and that's going to do it.: 2 days ago, Stanford Daily Sport
3rd and 10 with the game on the line... and why is Montgomery not out there?: 2 days ago, Stanford Daily Sport
This drive again a reminder that Stanford is not a team that plays from behind. This two-minute drill is kind of atrocious.: 2 days ago, Stanford Daily Sport

Cardinal beats Fresno State with season-high 12 three-pointers

Juniors Amber Orrange, Taylor Greenfield and Bonnie Samuelson combined for 11 of 12 three-pointers in the No. 4 Stanford women’s basketball team’s 86-54 victory over Fresno State on Saturday night.

Coming off the heels of a huge win over then-No. 3 ranked Tennessee (now dropped to No. 5), the Cardinal (11-1) was ready to close out non-conference play with a decisive victory. Last year the Card played the Bulldogs in its first regular season game and beat them by only a mere 11 points. This time around was a completely different story, with four players scoring in double digits.

EspnW’s player of the week, senior forward Chiney Ogwumike, had 20 points in the Cardinal’s win along with 10 rebounds for her eighth double-double of the season. Greenfield finished with 18 points, Orrange with 15 and Samuelson with 14. Mikaela Ruef added the final three to Stanford’s season-high 12 three-pointers game, along with five points, seven rebounds and a career-best eight assists.

Junior Guard Amber Orrange (33) scored 15 points on Saturday night with six assists and three steals, sealing a clean victory for the Cardinal. (JOHN TODD/Stanford Photo)

Junior Guard Amber Orrange (33) scored 15 points on Saturday night with six assists and three steals, sealing victory for the Cardinal. (JOHN TODD/Stanford Photo)

The Bulldogs managed to keep the first half relatively close, maintaining early leads at 7-5 and 14-13 until the Card and only trailed by four with 10 minutes to play in the first half.

With a 26-2 Cardinal run to start the second half, however, Stanford increased its 12-point halftime advantage to a solid 36-point lead. The Card hit six 3-pointers to kick off its 26-2 run, shooting an impressive 8-15 from behind the arc during the second half.

“I thought Amber played really well for us, as well as Chiney. Mikaela Ruef [had a good game] and Taylor and Bonnie hit some really big shots,” head coach Tara VanDerveer told GoStanford.com. “It was good to have different people playing and in the game getting experience.”

The Card will begin Pac-12 play and its campaign for a 14th consecutive Pac-12 conference championship on Friday at home against Oregon at 6pm.

Contact Ashley Westhem at awesthem ‘at’ stanford.edu.

About Ashley Westhem

Ashley Westhem is the voice of Stanford women’s basketball for KZSU as well as The Daily’s beat writer for the team and aids in KZSU’s coverage of football. She has been a desk editor for three volumes and now serves as Managing Editor of Sports. She is an American Studies major from Lake Tahoe, Calif., and aspires to work in sports administration, to positively affect the lives of student-athletes and the relationship between the athletic and academic spheres of universities.
Advertisment ad adsense adlogger