RT @wilnerhotline: Stanford WR Ty Montgomery questionable for opener vs UC Davis b/c arm injury. Per HC David Shaw: "It will be close for U…: 1 day ago, Stanford Daily Sport
@treeSIDjorge Yet the Cardinal has won the conference five times over that stretch...: 3 days ago, Stanford Daily Sport
RT @treeSIDjorge: Two-time defending champion Stanford second in Pac-12 preseason media poll ... poll began in 1961, Cardinal not once pick…: 3 days ago, Stanford Daily Sport
RT @CWCameronWalker: By far the hardest decision of my life, but I will spend the next chapter of my life at Stanford University under Coac…: 4 days ago, Stanford Daily Sport
RT @StanfordRivals: Four-star forward Cameron Walker, the nation's No. 61 player, just tweeted that he has committed to #Stanford. Huge get…: 4 days ago, Stanford Daily Sport

Yankey earns unanimous All-American status, Montgomery and Murphy earn consensus recognition

Stanford left guard David Yankey became the eighth unanimous All-American in Stanford history after being selected to all five major All-America first teams, which are chosen by the Associated Press (AP), American Football Coaches Association (AFCA), Football Writers Association of America (FWAA), Sporting News and Walter Camp Foundation (WCFF).

Senior left guard David Yankey (54) is projected to be a late first-round or second-round pick in the 2014 NFL Draft. (Jim Shorin/Stanfordphoto.com_

Senior left guard David Yankey (54) is projected to be a late first-round or second-round pick in the 2014 NFL Draft. (Jim Shorin/Stanfordphoto.com)

The 6-foot-5, 313-pound senior is the first Stanford player in over three decades to earn consensus All-American status or better for two consecutive years — wide receiver Ken Margerum ’81 won consensus All-America honors during the 1979 and 1980 seasons. Yankey is the fourth Stanford player to earn unanimous All-American status since the turn of the century, joining running back Toby Gerhart ’10 in 2009, right guard David DeCastro ’12 in 2011 and tight end Zach Ertz ’13 in 2012.

The heart and soul of the stout Cardinal offensive line, Yankey paved the way for a potent Cardinal running game that averaged 5.0 yards per carry and reached the end zone 29 times this season. The unit is ranked fourth in the nation in fewest tackles for loss allowed (3.68 per game) and also 16th for fewest sacks allowed (1.15).

Junior wideout Ty Montgomery earned consensus All-American status at the kick returner position, as he was named to the AFCA, Sporting News and WCFF All-America first teams. Despite opponents often pooch kicking to prevent Montgomery from getting his hands on the ball, the explosive returner leads the country in kickoff return average (31.2 yards) and also took kickoff returns to the house against Washington and Utah.

Perhaps the most feared defensive player in the Pac-12, fifth-year senior outside linebacker Trent Murphy nabbed consensus recognition as he was named to the AFCA, FWAA and Sporting News All-America first teams. Murphy leads the nation in sacks (14.0) and is fourth in tackles for loss (21.5), but he was inexplicably left off the semifinalist list for the Butkus Award, given annually to the best linebacker in college football.

Fifth-year senior inside linebacker Shayne Skov was named to the FWAA All-America second team and AP All-America third team, while senior free safety Ed Reynolds was selected to the FWAA All-America second team.

Contact George Chen at gchen15 ‘at’ stanford.edu.

About George Chen

George Chen is the President and Editor in Chief of The Stanford Daily. Previously he worked at The Daily as the Executive Editor, Managing Editor of Sports, the football beat reporter and a sports desk editor. George also co-authored The Daily's recent book documenting the rise of Stanford football, "Rags to Roses." He is a junior from Painted Post, NY majoring in Biology. To contact him, please email eic@stanforddaily.com.