79-77 is your final from Provo after a furious comeback falls barely short at the end. Card get No. 9 Texas in Austin next. Tough draw.: 2 hours ago, Stanford Daily Sport
Card looked sloppy and lost at times, but this team's resiliency is really something else. Just won't go away easily.: 2 hours ago, Stanford Daily Sport
Stanford and Randle got the looks that they wanted at the end, and the shots just didn't fall. That happens, not much you can do about that.: 2 hours ago, Stanford Daily Sport
Card get the ball back down 79-77 with 4.8 to go, and Randle misses the buzzer-beater. BYU wins by that final score.: 2 hours ago, Stanford Daily Sport
Randle misses the long 3 on a clean look. Stanford will get the ball back with a chance.: 2 hours ago, Stanford Daily Sport
Travel. Stanford down 2, gets the ball back and can kill the clock.: 2 hours ago, Stanford Daily Sport
Randle with the clutch 3! We have a two-point game, 79-77 with just under a minute to go. ESPNU. Don't miss this ending.: 2 hours ago, Stanford Daily Sport
Two forced turnovers later, it's back to a 77-72 game. Stanford doing whatever it can to stick around.: 2 hours ago, Stanford Daily Sport
Stanford playing sloppy ball, BYU playing clean, foul-free ball on the other end. It's 72-59 Cougars, who have opened it up with 5 to play.: 2 hours ago, Stanford Daily Sport
Miscues and sloppy passing from Stanford cue another BYU run, and the lead is back to 9 at 68-59 with 6 minutes to go.: 2 hours ago, Stanford Daily Sport

Mike Sanford hired as Boise State offensive coordinator

Stanford quarterbacks and wide receivers coach Mike Sanford, who also serves as the Cardinal’s recruiting coordinator, has been hired by Boise State to be the Broncos’ next offensive coordinator, in a move originally reported by Football Scoop. Sanford is expected to coach the Cardinal in the 100th Rose Bowl Game on Jan. 1 against Michigan State, according to Chadd Cripe of the Idaho Statesman.

Current Stanford running backs coach Tavita Pritchard ’09, who just four years ago was the Cardinal’s starting quarterback in the Sun Bowl, will take over as the quarterbacks and wide receivers coach after the Rose Bowl Game. Pritchard was a volunteer assistant and defensive assistant before being promoted to running backs coach last season.

Recruiting coordinator Mike Sanford (above) has been hired as the next offensive coordinator at Boise State. (GRANT SHORIN/Stanfordphoto.com)

Sanford originally came to Stanford as an offensive assistant in 2007. Sanford then became the recruiting coordinator at Yale for the 2009 season and the quarterbacks coach and passing game coordinator for Western Kentucky during the 2010 season.

Sanford came back to the Farm as the running backs coach for the 2011 and 2012 seasons. He moved into his latest role after the departure of offensive coordinator Pep Hamilton to the Indianapolis Colts, which led to an upward rise by Sanford and current offensive coordinator Mike Bloomgren.

Sanford is widely regarded as one of the top young recruiters in college football. He replaced outside linebackers coach Lance Anderson as recruiting coordinator in 2012, which was a sign of confidence in Sanford considering Anderson’s status as one of the top recruiters on the West Coast. Among the early signs of Sanford’s recruiting ability was his success in bringing now-sophomore running back Barry J. Sanders to Stanford.

Sanford has strong ties to Boise State. Sanford played quarterback for the Broncos from 2001-4 and graduated from Boise State in 2005. Sanford lost a tight competition for the starting quarterback job to Jared Zabransky before the 2004 season, which saw the Broncos finish 11-0 in regular season play.

Sanford comes from a decorated coaching family. His father, also named Mike Sanford, has been a college coach since 1977 and is currently the head coach of the Indiana State Sycamores. While the elder Sanford never coached at Boise State, he was the head coach at two other Mountain West Conference schools: Utah State and UNLV.

Contact Sam Fisher at safisher ‘at’ Stanford.edu.

About Sam Fisher

Sam Fisher is the managing editor of sports for The Stanford Daily's Vol. 244. Sam also does play-by-play for KZSU's coverage of Stanford football, Stanford baseball and Stanford women's basketball. In 2013, Sam co-authored "Rags to Roses: The Rise of Stanford Football," with Joseph Beyda and George Chen.