RT @StanfordFball: Stanford ranks No. 1 in the nation in scoring defense (4.3 ppg), total defense (204.3 ypg) and passing defense (66.0 ypg…: 17 hours ago, Stanford Daily Sport
Stanford 35, Army 0. Final.: 1 day ago, Stanford Daily Sport
Looks like Stanford will preserve the shutout.: 1 day ago, Stanford Daily Sport
Hogan connects with Montgomery for a 32-yard TD pass with 6:09 left: 1 day ago, Stanford Daily Sport
Montgomery was down on the ground for a bit longer than normal. Looks like he's okay though.: 1 day ago, Stanford Daily Sport
Tarpley doing what he's best at: pass coverage: 1 day ago, Stanford Daily Sport
Great block by Johnny Caspers on the TD run.: 1 day ago, Stanford Daily Sport
Montgomery gets into the end zone out of the Wildcat. Stanford up 28-0 with 11:35 left in the game.: 1 day ago, Stanford Daily Sport
Stanford will take over at the Army 35.: 1 day ago, Stanford Daily Sport

Ogwumike reaches 2,000 career points as Stanford downs UNM

Senior forward Chiney Ogwumike had a National Player of the Year-worthy game Monday night at Maples, scoring 32 points in just 23 minutes of play during No. 6 Stanford’s (9-1) 75-41 victory over New Mexico.

The team’s “concert master,” as head coach Tara VanDerveer referred to Ogwumike after Saturday’s win against Gonzaga, scored her 2,000th career point off of a free throw to put her in the ranks of older sister Nneka Ogwumike ’12, Jayne Appel ’10, Nicole Powell ’04 and Val Whiting ’93 in the 2,000-point and 1,000-rebound club.

“Chiney did such a great job tonight,” VanDerveer said. “She went over 2,000 points, and she’s just such an anchor for us, calling for the ball, rebounding, scoring. She just had a great game for us.”

Senior forward Chiney Ogwumike (13)

Senior forward Chiney Ogwumike (13) puts up a shot against New Mexico during Monday’s contest at Maples Pavilion. Ogwumike scored 32 points in the Cardinal’s 75-41 blowout victory. (stanfordphoto.com)

Ogwumike scored 23 of the Cardinal’s first 25 points to put the team ahead 25-7 before taking a seat to a standing ovation with 9:52 remaining in the half. Although she missed out on a double-double performance, her seven rebounds put her in third on Stanford’s all-time rebounding list with 1,227.

Freshman Erica McCall was the only other Cardinal player to score before Ogwumike went to the bench, finishing with six points and eight rebounds in the game. Dominating the boards, however, was fifth-year senior forward Mikaela Ruef, who picked up 10 rebounds (her sixth double-digit rebound game this season), three assists and three blocks.

The Card went into halftime leading 40-21. Three consecutive three-pointers by the Lobos midway through the second frame weren’t enough to give them momentum, as Stanford junior guard Taylor Greenfield, in her second game back after injury, answered with eight points, going two for two from behind the arc and giving the Card a 52-33 lead with 12:36 left. Junior guard Bonnie Samuelson, also in her second game back from injury, tied Greenfield’s scoring total.

Despite the fact that Ogwumike was the only Stanford player to score in double figures, the Card received scoring contributions from nine of the 10 players who played double-digit minutes to spread the points among starters and those off the bench.

A three-point play by redshirt sophomore Alex Green sparked a 15-5 run that put the Card up 67-38. At that point, the Stanford bench took over to finish the game, with dominant play by Samuelson, freshman Kailee Johnson and junior Jasmine Camp, who combined for the final eight straight points of the game.

“We played a lot of people. We’re just trying to figure out our rotation,” VanDerveer said. “We had a lot of different people contribute. [McCall] came in and did a good job for us, Taylor Greenfield helped us, Alex Green did a really nice job and Mikaela got it done on the boards.”

The Cardinal hosts perennial powerhouse No. 3 Tennessee at Maples Pavilion this Saturday at 1:30 p.m.

Contact Ashley Westhem at awesthem ‘at’ stanford.edu. 

About Ashley Westhem

Ashley Westhem is the voice of Stanford women’s basketball for KZSU as well as The Daily’s beat writer for the team. She has been a desk editor for three volumes and plans to take over as Managing Editor of Sports next volume and aid in KZSU’s coverage of football. She is an American Studies major from Lake Tahoe, Calif., and aspires to work in sports administration, to positively affect the lives of student-athletes and the relationship between the athletic and academic spheres of universities.