Breaking News

Johnny Dawkins says post-game that Reid Travis has progressed, may travel and play on @stanfordbball's trip to Washington this weekend.: 2 days ago, Stanford Daily Sport
RT @stanfordbball: Stanford cruises over ASU, 89-70. Matches the most points scored this season. Randle, @TwoShotOne, & Nastic all with 20+…: 2 days ago, Stanford Daily Sport
RT @stanfordbball: Stanford's 70.4% shooting in first half its best mark since torching Harvard for 73.1% shooting (19-26) in the second ha…: 2 days ago, Stanford Daily Sport

Murphy, Montgomery and Yankey named Walter Camp All-Americans

Fifth-year senior linebacker Trent Murphy, junior receiver and kick returner Ty Montgomery and senior guard David Yankey were named to the Walter Camp Football Foundation All-America first team on Thursday.

Trent Murphy (93) leads the nation with 14 sacks, 1½ more than any other player. (Jim Shorin/Stanfordphoto.com)

Trent Murphy (93) leads the nation with 14 sacks, 1½ more than any other player. (JIM SHORIN/Stanfordphoto.com)

On the season, Murphy leads the nation in sacks with 14 to go along with 58 tackles, 21½ tackles for loss and an interception returned for a touchdown. Montgomery ranks first in the nation with 31.2 yards per kick return, including two return touchdowns, and recorded 10 receiving touchdowns. Also a consensus All-American in 2012, Yankey led a bruising offensive line that paved the way for senior running back Tyler Gaffney to rush for 1618 yards, second most in a season in Stanford history.

The three players join Zach Ertz ’13 (2012), David Decastro ’12 (2011), Andrew Luck ’12 (2011), Jonathan Martin ’12 (2011) and Toby Gerhart ’10 (2009) as Cardinal players named to the Walter Camp All-America first team.

The Walter Camp Football Foundation All-America team is the nation’s oldest All-America team, now in its 124th year.

About Michael Peterson

Michael Peterson is the football editor at The Stanford Daily. He has served as a beat reporter for football, baseball and men’s soccer and also does play-by-play broadcasting of baseball and men’s soccer for KZSU. Michael is a sophomore from Rancho Santa Margarita, Calif. majoring in computer science. To contact him, please email him at mrpeters ‘at’ stanford.edu.