RT @StanfordWVB: Final: @UWVolleyball 3, @StanfordWVB 1 (25-18, 25-21, 23-25, 25-20). Card drops first match of the year, falling to 28-1, …: 14 hours ago, Stanford Daily Sport
RT @jwallach12: Of the 17 teams that went undefeated in the reg. season, only 5 went unbeaten in the tourney to become nat'l champs (most r…: 21 hours ago, Stanford Daily Sport
RT @jwallach12: This week, @StanfordWVB will look to become the 18th DI team to go undefeated in the regular season since @NCAAVolleyball b…: 21 hours ago, Stanford Daily Sport
RT @LombardiESPN: Big: Stanford WR Ty Montgomery will NOT play vs UCLA: 2 days ago, Stanford Daily Sport
RT @agonzalezAP: Stanford coach David Shaw said Ty Montgomery out for UCLA. Said after Cal game it was a right shoulder sprain.: 2 days ago, Stanford Daily Sport
Stanford falls to UC Irvine 1-0 in extra time: 4 days ago, Stanford Daily Sport
Batteer offside to end regular time, we're headed to golden goal and extra time: 4 days ago, Stanford Daily Sport
Batteer earns a corner on the counter: 4 days ago, Stanford Daily Sport

Murphy, Montgomery and Yankey named Walter Camp All-Americans

Fifth-year senior linebacker Trent Murphy, junior receiver and kick returner Ty Montgomery and senior guard David Yankey were named to the Walter Camp Football Foundation All-America first team on Thursday.

Trent Murphy (93) leads the nation with 14 sacks, 1½ more than any other player. (Jim Shorin/Stanfordphoto.com)

Trent Murphy (93) leads the nation with 14 sacks, 1½ more than any other player. (JIM SHORIN/Stanfordphoto.com)

On the season, Murphy leads the nation in sacks with 14 to go along with 58 tackles, 21½ tackles for loss and an interception returned for a touchdown. Montgomery ranks first in the nation with 31.2 yards per kick return, including two return touchdowns, and recorded 10 receiving touchdowns. Also a consensus All-American in 2012, Yankey led a bruising offensive line that paved the way for senior running back Tyler Gaffney to rush for 1618 yards, second most in a season in Stanford history.

The three players join Zach Ertz ’13 (2012), David Decastro ’12 (2011), Andrew Luck ’12 (2011), Jonathan Martin ’12 (2011) and Toby Gerhart ’10 (2009) as Cardinal players named to the Walter Camp All-America first team.

The Walter Camp Football Foundation All-America team is the nation’s oldest All-America team, now in its 124th year.

About Michael Peterson

Michael Peterson is the football editor at The Stanford Daily. He has served as a beat reporter for football, baseball and men’s soccer and also does play-by-play broadcasting of baseball and men’s soccer for KZSU. Michael is a sophomore from Rancho Santa Margarita, Calif. majoring in computer science. To contact him, please email him at mrpeters ‘at’ stanford.edu.