RT @StanfordWVB: Final: @UWVolleyball 3, @StanfordWVB 1 (25-18, 25-21, 23-25, 25-20). Card drops first match of the year, falling to 28-1, …: 3 hours ago, Stanford Daily Sport
RT @jwallach12: Of the 17 teams that went undefeated in the reg. season, only 5 went unbeaten in the tourney to become nat'l champs (most r…: 11 hours ago, Stanford Daily Sport
RT @jwallach12: This week, @StanfordWVB will look to become the 18th DI team to go undefeated in the regular season since @NCAAVolleyball b…: 11 hours ago, Stanford Daily Sport
RT @LombardiESPN: Big: Stanford WR Ty Montgomery will NOT play vs UCLA: 1 day ago, Stanford Daily Sport
RT @agonzalezAP: Stanford coach David Shaw said Ty Montgomery out for UCLA. Said after Cal game it was a right shoulder sprain.: 1 day ago, Stanford Daily Sport
Stanford falls to UC Irvine 1-0 in extra time: 3 days ago, Stanford Daily Sport
Batteer offside to end regular time, we're headed to golden goal and extra time: 3 days ago, Stanford Daily Sport
Batteer earns a corner on the counter: 3 days ago, Stanford Daily Sport

Bright sidelined for season after dislocating shoulder

Stanford men’s basketball head coach Johnny Dawkins announced on Friday that senior guard Aaron Bright will miss the rest of the season after suffering a dislocated right shoulder in practice and opting to undergo a season-ending surgery.

(GRANT SHORIN/stanfordphoto.com)

Senior guard Aaron Bright (above) will miss the remainder of his senior season after electing to undergo season-ending surgery to help remedy a dislocated shoulder suffered in practice last week. (GRANT SHORIN/stanfordphoto.com)

The injury, which occurred in practice last week, sidelined the senior after he averaged 5.9 points in seven games off the bench at the beginning of the Cardinal’s 2013-14 campaign. He ranked third on the team with 16 assists in those games, bringing his career total to 316 — the tenth-best mark in Stanford basketball history.

“It’s a very tough blow,” said Bright to gostanford.com. “I can guarantee you that I wouldn’t want to play and battle on the court with anyone else other than the guys in that locker room. We have created such a bond…I just want to thank the entire basketball staff, athletic trainer Tomoo Yamada, sports performance coach Pablo Reggiardo and all the fans for their support. It’s been a lot of fun.”

Bright made an immediate impact in his freshman season, finishing second on the team in assists and third in three-pointers made. He would go on to lead the team in assists in both his sophomore and junior seasons and was a significant contributor due to his ball control and shooting consistency.

Bright’s career was highlighted by his standout performance in the Cardinal’s 2012 NIT championship run, for which he earned tournament Most Valuable Player honors as a sophomore. He averaged a team-best 16.8 points per game and shot 64.1 percent overall, including a 66.7 percent mark from three-point territory.

“Aaron has been a leader for us on and off the court,” said Dawkins to gostanford.com. “We are committed in assisting Aaron in every way possible to ensure he makes necessary progress in the classroom towards finishing his degree. We also hope that surgery goes well and wish him a speedy recovery.”

Contact Do-Hyoung Park at dpark027 ‘at’ stanford.edu.

About Do-Hyoung Park

Do-Hyoung Park '16 is the head copy editor and a sports desk editor at The Daily. He has previously served as the Vol. 245 Managing Editor of Sports and primarily writes football, women's soccer and columns that he's pretty sure nobody reads except for him. Do-Hyoung is a junior originally from Seoul, South Korea and raised in Saint Paul, Minnesota pursuing a major in chemical engineering. To contact him, please email him at dpark027 'at' stanford.edu.