RT @StanfordWSoccer: Congratulations @kohara19 and @ChristenPress !! World Cup champions!!!!: 15 hours ago, Stanford Daily Sport
RT @ussoccer_wnt: Corner headed half clear and it sits up for @kohara19! She absolutely leathers it on the volley but puts it over from 16 …: 15 hours ago, Stanford Daily Sport
.@StanfordWSoccer alum @kohara19 enters the game for Team USA #GoStanford: 15 hours ago, Stanford Daily Sport
.@ussoccer_wnt, @kohara19 and @ChristenPress 45 minutes away from winning the World Cup! #GoStanford #GoUSA: 16 hours ago, Stanford Daily Sport
WOW! USA up 4-0 after 18 minutes, and Carli Lloyd with a hat trick. Simply UNBELIEVABLE! #USWNT #GoUSA: 16 hours ago, Stanford Daily Sport

Bright sidelined for season after dislocating shoulder

Stanford men’s basketball head coach Johnny Dawkins announced on Friday that senior guard Aaron Bright will miss the rest of the season after suffering a dislocated right shoulder in practice and opting to undergo a season-ending surgery.

(GRANT SHORIN/stanfordphoto.com)

Senior guard Aaron Bright (above) will miss the remainder of his senior season after electing to undergo season-ending surgery to help remedy a dislocated shoulder suffered in practice last week. (GRANT SHORIN/stanfordphoto.com)

The injury, which occurred in practice last week, sidelined the senior after he averaged 5.9 points in seven games off the bench at the beginning of the Cardinal’s 2013-14 campaign. He ranked third on the team with 16 assists in those games, bringing his career total to 316 — the tenth-best mark in Stanford basketball history.

“It’s a very tough blow,” said Bright to gostanford.com. “I can guarantee you that I wouldn’t want to play and battle on the court with anyone else other than the guys in that locker room. We have created such a bond…I just want to thank the entire basketball staff, athletic trainer Tomoo Yamada, sports performance coach Pablo Reggiardo and all the fans for their support. It’s been a lot of fun.”

Bright made an immediate impact in his freshman season, finishing second on the team in assists and third in three-pointers made. He would go on to lead the team in assists in both his sophomore and junior seasons and was a significant contributor due to his ball control and shooting consistency.

Bright’s career was highlighted by his standout performance in the Cardinal’s 2012 NIT championship run, for which he earned tournament Most Valuable Player honors as a sophomore. He averaged a team-best 16.8 points per game and shot 64.1 percent overall, including a 66.7 percent mark from three-point territory.

“Aaron has been a leader for us on and off the court,” said Dawkins to gostanford.com. “We are committed in assisting Aaron in every way possible to ensure he makes necessary progress in the classroom towards finishing his degree. We also hope that surgery goes well and wish him a speedy recovery.”

Contact Do-Hyoung Park at dpark027 ‘at’ stanford.edu.

About Do-Hyoung Park

Do-Hyoung Park '16 is the Managing Editor of Sports at The Daily. He's been around the newspaper for far too long and now just grumpily corrects the improper grammar of everybody around him (seriously guys, we're a newspaper -- it can't be that hard). Do-Hyoung is a junior from Saint Paul, Minnesota studying chemical engineering and computer science. To contact him, please email him at dpark027 'at' stanford.edu.