RT @StanfordWVB: Final: @PennStateVBALL 3, @StanfordWVB 1 Cardinal ends the season 33-2, tying for the most wins in program history. #gosta: 6 hours ago, Stanford Daily Sport
Cardinal within one after block from Bugg and Ajanaku. A hush over the crowd in OKC as it's 20-19 PSU in the fourth, up two sets to one.: 6 hours ago, Stanford Daily Sport
It's getting late quickly for the Card. PSU up 18-15 in the fourth set. Another Dunning timeout, this one the most important of the year.: 6 hours ago, Stanford Daily Sport
PSU with three straight points to even the fourth set at 13. Timeout Stanford.: 6 hours ago, Stanford Daily Sport
Cardinal up 10-7 in the fourth set. Down two sets to one.: 6 hours ago, Stanford Daily Sport
Stanford has been down 2-1 three times this season, and it has a 2-1 record in those matches. (W @ Illinois, W @ Colorado, L @ Washington): 6 hours ago, Stanford Daily Sport
Card closed to within one point on three occasions towards the end of the 3rd, but couldn't pull it out. PSU wins it 25-22, takes 2-1 lead.: 7 hours ago, Stanford Daily Sport
RT @jwallach12: Neither team has been able to get in a rhythm since the beginning of the first set. It's a dogfight out there. Exactly what…: 7 hours ago, Stanford Daily Sport
RT @dohyoungpark: This just feels like another one of those five-set marathon matches. Par for the course between these two teams.: 7 hours ago, Stanford Daily Sport
Two straight points for the Lions after the timeout, take first lead in the set since 6-5. Dunning calls another timeout.: 7 hours ago, Stanford Daily Sport

Rhyne named Pac-12 Football Scholar-Athlete of the Year

Ben Rhyne (14) had a career-long 58-yard punt against Washington earlier this season. (David Bernal/isiphotos.com )

Ben Rhyne (14) had a career-long 58-yard punt against Washington earlier this season, helping him earn the Pac-12 Football Scholar-Athlete of the Year award. (DAVID BERNAL/isiphotos.com)

On Thursday, the Pac-12 announced that Stanford’s senior punter Ben Rhyne was named the Pac-12 Football Scholar-Athlete of the Year for 2013. This announcement comes just a couple days after Rhyne earned first team All-Academic honors in the Pac-12 and was named All-Pac-12 honorable mention.

A biomechanical engineering major, Rhyne has a 3.88 cumulative GPA in his time at Stanford. His performance on the football field has been just as impressive as he is fourth in the conference with a 42.2 yards per punt average on the season. Fifteen of his 44 total punts have been downed inside the 20-yard line, with only one touchback, and nine of his punts have been for over 50 yards. Against Washington earlier this season, Rhyne posted a career-high 58-yard punt as Stanford defeated the Huskies 31-28.

Rhyne was among 10 players nominated for the award in football. A Scholar-Athlete of the Year award will be presented for each of the Pac-12’s 22 sponsored sports.

About Michael Peterson

Michael Peterson is the football editor at The Stanford Daily. He has served as a beat reporter for football, baseball and men’s soccer and also does play-by-play broadcasting of baseball and men’s soccer for KZSU. Michael is a sophomore from Rancho Santa Margarita, Calif. majoring in computer science. To contact him, please email him at mrpeters ‘at’ stanford.edu.