RT @si_soccer: U.S. Soccer announces Aron Johannsson (toe infection) is out for Tuesday's game vs Switzerland. Jordan Morris up from U23s t…: 11 hours ago, Stanford Daily Sport
RT @stanfordmswim: David Nolan steps onto the blocks. Goes 1:39.38 in the 200 IM. Fastest ever. NCAA title. Drops mic.: 3 days ago, Stanford Daily Sport
RT @RuleofTree: Quarterback KJ Costello commits to Stanford. 4-star rated as the 33rd best player in the country: 3 days ago, Stanford Daily Sport
RT @treeSIDjorge: Stanford's home tilt with Vanderbilt in 2024 will mark the first ever visit to Stanford Stadium by an SEC program: 4 days ago, Stanford Daily Sport
Stanford announces football series with Vanderbilt (2021/4/5/7) and TCU (2024/7).: 4 days ago, Stanford Daily Sport

Rhyne named Pac-12 Football Scholar-Athlete of the Year

Ben Rhyne (14) had a career-long 58-yard punt against Washington earlier this season. (David Bernal/isiphotos.com )

Ben Rhyne (14) had a career-long 58-yard punt against Washington earlier this season, helping him earn the Pac-12 Football Scholar-Athlete of the Year award. (DAVID BERNAL/isiphotos.com)

On Thursday, the Pac-12 announced that Stanford’s senior punter Ben Rhyne was named the Pac-12 Football Scholar-Athlete of the Year for 2013. This announcement comes just a couple days after Rhyne earned first team All-Academic honors in the Pac-12 and was named All-Pac-12 honorable mention.

A biomechanical engineering major, Rhyne has a 3.88 cumulative GPA in his time at Stanford. His performance on the football field has been just as impressive as he is fourth in the conference with a 42.2 yards per punt average on the season. Fifteen of his 44 total punts have been downed inside the 20-yard line, with only one touchback, and nine of his punts have been for over 50 yards. Against Washington earlier this season, Rhyne posted a career-high 58-yard punt as Stanford defeated the Huskies 31-28.

Rhyne was among 10 players nominated for the award in football. A Scholar-Athlete of the Year award will be presented for each of the Pac-12’s 22 sponsored sports.

About Michael Peterson

Michael Peterson is the football editor at The Stanford Daily. He has served as a beat reporter for football, baseball and men’s soccer and also does play-by-play broadcasting of football and baseball for KZSU. Michael is a junior from Rancho Santa Margarita, Calif. majoring in computer science. To contact him, please email him at mrpeters ‘at’ stanford.edu.