RT @wilnerhotline: Stanford WR Ty Montgomery questionable for opener vs UC Davis b/c arm injury. Per HC David Shaw: "It will be close for U…: 19 hours ago, Stanford Daily Sport
@treeSIDjorge Yet the Cardinal has won the conference five times over that stretch...: 2 days ago, Stanford Daily Sport
RT @treeSIDjorge: Two-time defending champion Stanford second in Pac-12 preseason media poll ... poll began in 1961, Cardinal not once pick…: 2 days ago, Stanford Daily Sport
RT @CWCameronWalker: By far the hardest decision of my life, but I will spend the next chapter of my life at Stanford University under Coac…: 4 days ago, Stanford Daily Sport
RT @StanfordRivals: Four-star forward Cameron Walker, the nation's No. 61 player, just tweeted that he has committed to #Stanford. Huge get…: 4 days ago, Stanford Daily Sport

Rhyne named Pac-12 Football Scholar-Athlete of the Year

Ben Rhyne (14) had a career-long 58-yard punt against Washington earlier this season. (David Bernal/isiphotos.com )

Ben Rhyne (14) had a career-long 58-yard punt against Washington earlier this season, helping him earn the Pac-12 Football Scholar-Athlete of the Year award. (DAVID BERNAL/isiphotos.com)

On Thursday, the Pac-12 announced that Stanford’s senior punter Ben Rhyne was named the Pac-12 Football Scholar-Athlete of the Year for 2013. This announcement comes just a couple days after Rhyne earned first team All-Academic honors in the Pac-12 and was named All-Pac-12 honorable mention.

A biomechanical engineering major, Rhyne has a 3.88 cumulative GPA in his time at Stanford. His performance on the football field has been just as impressive as he is fourth in the conference with a 42.2 yards per punt average on the season. Fifteen of his 44 total punts have been downed inside the 20-yard line, with only one touchback, and nine of his punts have been for over 50 yards. Against Washington earlier this season, Rhyne posted a career-high 58-yard punt as Stanford defeated the Huskies 31-28.

Rhyne was among 10 players nominated for the award in football. A Scholar-Athlete of the Year award will be presented for each of the Pac-12’s 22 sponsored sports.

About Michael Peterson

Michael Peterson is a sports desk editor at The Stanford Daily. He has served as a beat reporter for football, baseball and men’s soccer and also does play-by-play broadcasting of baseball and men’s soccer for KZSU. Michael is a sophomore from Rancho Santa Margarita, Calif. majoring in computer science. To contact him, please email him at mrpeters ‘at’ stanford.edu.