RT @StanfordWVB: .@StanfordWVB (18-0) off to its best start to a season since 1994 (20-0), led today by Morgan Boukather's career high 18 k…: 2 days ago, Stanford Daily Sport
@andi_mcc @MsIngaSpoke @BlockInTheBack Thanks a lot. Never got sent quotes from last night's presser for some reason.: 2 days ago, Stanford Daily Sport
Stanford drops to 4-3, the first time the Cardinal have three regular-season losses since 2009.: 2 days ago, Stanford Daily Sport
Stanford will fall out of the AP top-25 poll for the first time in 73 weeks.: 2 days ago, Stanford Daily Sport
Arizona State 26, Stanford 10, final.: 2 days ago, Stanford Daily Sport
Hogan's 4th and 10 jump ball to Montgomery falls short, and that's going to do it.: 2 days ago, Stanford Daily Sport
3rd and 10 with the game on the line... and why is Montgomery not out there?: 2 days ago, Stanford Daily Sport

Rhyne named Pac-12 Football Scholar-Athlete of the Year

Ben Rhyne (14) had a career-long 58-yard punt against Washington earlier this season. (David Bernal/isiphotos.com )

Ben Rhyne (14) had a career-long 58-yard punt against Washington earlier this season, helping him earn the Pac-12 Football Scholar-Athlete of the Year award. (DAVID BERNAL/isiphotos.com)

On Thursday, the Pac-12 announced that Stanford’s senior punter Ben Rhyne was named the Pac-12 Football Scholar-Athlete of the Year for 2013. This announcement comes just a couple days after Rhyne earned first team All-Academic honors in the Pac-12 and was named All-Pac-12 honorable mention.

A biomechanical engineering major, Rhyne has a 3.88 cumulative GPA in his time at Stanford. His performance on the football field has been just as impressive as he is fourth in the conference with a 42.2 yards per punt average on the season. Fifteen of his 44 total punts have been downed inside the 20-yard line, with only one touchback, and nine of his punts have been for over 50 yards. Against Washington earlier this season, Rhyne posted a career-high 58-yard punt as Stanford defeated the Huskies 31-28.

Rhyne was among 10 players nominated for the award in football. A Scholar-Athlete of the Year award will be presented for each of the Pac-12’s 22 sponsored sports.

About Michael Peterson

Michael Peterson is the football editor at The Stanford Daily. He has served as a beat reporter for football, baseball and men’s soccer and also does play-by-play broadcasting of baseball and men’s soccer for KZSU. Michael is a sophomore from Rancho Santa Margarita, Calif. majoring in computer science. To contact him, please email him at mrpeters ‘at’ stanford.edu.
Advertisment ad adsense adlogger