Parry knew he wasn't going to play all week and he acted as an extra coach and mentor to Phillips as the week progressed.: 2 hours ago, Stanford Daily Sport
Shaw says it's good to see explosive TD strikes again because "that's the kind of players we've got.": 2 hours ago, Stanford Daily Sport
As coaches, the staff was looking to make the game as simple and fun as possible for offense. "Streamlining" was a word that was used: 2 hours ago, Stanford Daily Sport
Shaw attributes the sacks to great coverage forcing Mannion to not get the ball off more than anything else.: 2 hours ago, Stanford Daily Sport
"Point blank: what we had been doing wasn't good enough." Shaw about the offense: 2 hours ago, Stanford Daily Sport
Shaw says that the world was never crashing down for the team inside the locker room. Never felt that way.: 2 hours ago, Stanford Daily Sport
"Washington State was close, but for the first time offensively, it felt like us." - Shaw: 2 hours ago, Stanford Daily Sport
Stanford 38, Oregon State 14. Final.: 2 hours ago, Stanford Daily Sport
Eddie Plantaric in at fullback! Can't remember that happening in the recent past: 2 hours ago, Stanford Daily Sport

Stanford football blankets All-Pac-12 teams

Six Stanford football players were named first-team All-Pac-12 honorees on Monday, tying the Cardinal with upcoming Pac-12 Championship Game foe Arizona State for the most players on the team.

All four of Stanford's captains — Shayne Skov (left), David Yankey (second from left), Ben Gardner (second from right) and Trent Murphy (right) — received first-team All-Pac-12 recognition on Monday. (DAVID BERNAL/isiphotos.com)

All four of Stanford’s captains — Shayne Skov (left), David Yankey (second from left), Ben Gardner (second from right) and Trent Murphy (right) — received first-team All-Pac-12 recognition on Monday. (DAVID BERNAL/isiphotos.com)

Six Stanford players were named to the second team and seven received honorable mention, with junior Ty Montgomery receiving two recognitions (first-team kick returner, second-team wide receiver).

Head coach David Shaw did not receive a third consecutive Pac-12 Coach of the Year award, ceding the mantle to Sun Devils head coach Todd Graham.

Though Shaw was very complementary of ASU’s Will Sutton, who was named the conference’s defensive player of the year, he was surprised that Cardinal outside linebacker Trent Murphy was not selected for the award. Murphy leads the nation in sacks (13) and is among the FBS leaders in tackles for loss (19.5) as well.

“I don’t know that anybody in our conference caused more problems than Murphy,” Shaw said. “There’s a little bit of disappointment.”

There was no disappointment when it came to the Tunnel Workers Union, as all five Stanford starting offensive linemen were selected by the conference’s coaches. Senior left guard David Yankey was named to the first team, while sophomore left tackle Andrus Peat, fifth-year senior center Khalil Wilkes and senior right tackle Cameron Fleming earned second-team recognition. Fifth-year senior right guard Kevin Danser received honorable mention.

Besides the linemen and Montgomery, Stanford’s only other offensive recognition was for senior Tyler Gaffney, who was named one of the conference’s second-team running backs.

On defense, Murphy, fifth-year senior inside linebacker Shayne Skov, senior free safety Ed Reynolds and fifth-year senior defensive end Ben Gardner were all named to the first team. Gardner was recognized despite the fact that he has missed the last four games with a pectoral injury and will not play in the postseason either.

Additionally, senior inside linebacker Joe Hemschoot was named to the second team for his work with the Cardinal’s special teams.

Contact Joseph Beyda at jbeyda ‘at’ stanford.edu.

About Joseph Beyda

Joseph Beyda is the executive editor of The Stanford Daily. Previously he has worked as the football editor, a sports desk editor, the paper's summer managing editor and a beat reporter for football, baseball and women's soccer. He co-authored The Daily's recent football book, "Rags to Roses," and covered the soccer team's national title run for the New York Times. Joseph is a senior from Cupertino, Calif. majoring in Electrical Engineering. To contact him, please email jbeyda "at" stanford.edu.
Advertisment ad adsense adlogger