Football Predictions: 116th Big Game

No. 9 Stanford (8-2, 6-2 Pac-12) vs. Cal (1-10, 0-8)

George Chen: Stanford 41, Cal 13

I know that Stanford’s offense hasn’t played well in its last two games against Cal, but the Bears defense is so bad this year that even if head coach David Shaw dials up the Wildcat every play, the Cardinal will still win the game. Last weekend’s loss to USC was was one of the most disappointing losses in recent memory, but with an at-large BCS bowl still possible, don’t expect the Cardinal players to take tomorrow’s game lightly. I think junior quarterback Kevin Hogan will bounce back in a big way, and the Cardinal defense will force at least three turnovers. Expect Stanford to jump out to an early two-touchdown lead and never look back.

Sam Fisher: Stanford 48, Cal 14

In homage to my first Big Game memory, I’ll take Stanford 48-14. While I think the Cardinal is actually more than 34 points better than the Bears, I just don’t see Stanford running up the score. There hasn’t been much animosity in this rivalry as of late — you have to go back to the pregame “brawl” in 2010 to find anything of the sort. I think Stanford comes out a bit flat due to the disappointment of USC but pulls away in the second and third quarters to win easily. Fifth-year senior linebacker Trent Murphy picks up two more sacks as well, and I’m hoping that will be enough for him to finally earn the national recognition he very much deserves.

Winston Shi: Stanford 56, Cal 10

I find it bizarre how bad Cal is this season. They’ve been a top-25 recruiter for the better part of the last decade, and their skill talent is still outrageous. Bigelow, Treggs, Harper and Muhammad are all stud playmakers that can go off at any time — Cal didn’t just top UCLA last year; it beat the Bruins like the proverbial drum. Anything can happen with the Golden Bears. However, Cal is weak where Stanford is strong: on the lines. Years of poor recruiting on the offensive line has killed Cal’s depth to the point where it lost to Colorado. I don’t just expect Stanford to win. I think the Card will easily cover the spread, which is five scores the last time I checked.

The Daily Sports Staff is the collective moniker of an overworked, beleaguered, underpaid collection of sportswriters that feel comfortable enough with their own self-identities to give up any sense of individualism for the good of the sports section. To contact The Daily Sports Staff, send an email to the managing editor(s) of the sports staff (sports 'at' stanforddaily.com), keepers of the souls of those sportswriters.