Turley named NSCA coach of the year

Director of Football Sports Performance Shannon Turley (above) has drastically reduced the Cardinal's injury numbers since he joined the team in 2007. (DON FERIA/isiphotos.com)
Director of Football Sports Performance Shannon Turley (above) has drastically reduced the Cardinal’s injury numbers since he joined the team in 2007. (DON FERIA/isiphotos.com)

Stanford Director of Football Sports Performance Shannon Turley was named the National Strength and Conditioning Association’s coach of the year on Wednesday.

Turley joined the Cardinal when Jim Harbaugh took over as head coach in 2007. Since then, the Cardinal’s injury numbers have dropped dramatically. According to one statistic provided by Turley in April, Stanford suffered 26 injuries in 2006 that required season-ending or postseason surgery, but only 24 of them over a five-season span from 2008 to 2012.

Turley received a standing ovation from the team after its Wednesday practice. He is the first Stanford strength and conditioning coach to receive the honor in its 34-year history.

For more on Turley, see Winston Shi’s three-part feature from last spring.

Contact Joseph Beyda at jbeyda ‘at’ stanford.edu.

Joseph Beyda is the editor in chief of The Stanford Daily. Previously he has worked as the executive editor, webmaster, football editor, a sports desk editor, the paper's summer managing editor and a beat reporter for football, baseball and women's soccer. He co-authored The Daily's recent football book, "Rags to Roses," and covered the soccer team's national title run for the New York Times. Joseph is a senior from Cupertino, Calif. majoring in Electrical Engineering. To contact him, please email jbeyda "at" stanford.edu.