Women’s volleyball outlasts Oregon on road 3-1, Oregon State up next

No. 6 Stanford women’s volleyball (19-5) defeated Oregon last night on the road for the second time this season.

Senior outside hitter Rachel Williams
Senior outside hitter Rachel Williams (6) propelled Stanford to a win over the Oregon Ducks Thursday. (ZETONG LI/The Stanford Daily)

Last time, the Cardinal took care of the Ducks in a three-set sweep. This time around, the Ducks managed to take the Card to one more set on their home court. Stanford pulled it together to prevent a fifth set and took the match, 25-15, 20-25, 25-23, 25-15.

Sophomore outside hitter Brittany Howard led the Cardinal on the offensive end with a game-high-tying 15 kills to go with six digs. Senior Carly Wopat trailed with 10 kills, and many other Cardinal players contributed as well. Sophomore Jordan Burgess had nine kills and 14 digs, while senior Rachel Williams recorded nine kills and 17 digs.

Both teams had the same number of total kills at 53; however, whereas the Card only had 15 attack errors, the Ducks tallied 32. The Ducks came alive after a 10-point loss in the first set and rallied for a second-set win. The Card came close to losing the third set, narrowly pulling ahead at the end. The Ducks weren’t able to pull it together in the end, and the Card came up with another decisive set win.

Stanford takes on Oregon State tomorrow at 7 p.m. in Corvallis. The Card is 57-0 against the Beavers all-time, and in their first meeting of the season, the Card blew out the Beavers in a three-set sweep.

In that win, Burgess led the Card with 10 kills and seven digs, hitting .364. Sophomore middle blocker Inky Ajanaku hit an impressive .800 with eight kills on 10 errorless swings. If that match is any indication, along with the match last night, the sophomores will continue to play a big role as the Cardinal looks to dominate against the Beavers.

First serve against the Beavers is set for Saturday at 7 p.m.

Contact Ashley Westhem at awesthem ‘at’ stanford.edu.

Ashley Westhem was Editor in Chief of Vol. 248 after serving as Executive Editor and Managing Editor of Sports. She is the voice of Stanford women’s basketball for KZSU as well as The Daily’s beat writer for the team and aids in KZSU’s coverage of football. She graduated in 2016 and is currently a Communications masters student. Ashley is from Lake Tahoe, California.