Men’s soccer ends season with win over rival No. 5 Cal

Stanford men’s soccer (9-6-3) may not make it into the NCAA tournament with last night’s win, but at least the seniors can be satisfied that they beat No. 5 ranked Cal in overtime on their Senior Night.

(SEAN CHRISTOFFERSON/The Stanford Daily)
Sophomore midfielder Aaron Kovar (left) came through in the Card’s final game of the season by scoring the game-winning goal in overtime on Senior Night. (SEAN CHRISTOFFERSON/The Stanford Daily)

Going into halftime Stanford led 1-0 due to a goal by junior forward Zach Batteer in the 19th minute of the first half. Stanford had outshot the Golden Bears 11-1, with five shots on goal to Cal’s zero.

Cal then came alive in the second half, scoring in the 57th minute. Cal’s senior Alec Sundley tied the game at 1-1 on a penalty kick.

With 10:40 left Stanford came through with a huge save after Cal had two opportunities to score. Cal was on the attack, keeping the Card on its heels — a sharp comparison to the first half, which was dominated by Stanford.

Stanford finally had the opportunity to score with a minute left, controlling possession of the ball for the remainder of regulation time, but couldn’t come through and sent the game into overtime.

Just 1:14 into overtime, sophomore midfielder Aaron Kovar scored the game-winning goal.

Stanford now has a slight chance to make into postseason play and will now just have to wait to hear its fate.

Ashley Westhem was Editor in Chief of Vol. 248 after serving as Executive Editor and Managing Editor of Sports. She is the voice of Stanford women’s basketball for KZSU as well as The Daily’s beat writer for the team and aids in KZSU’s coverage of football. She graduated in 2016 and is currently a Communications masters student. Ashley is from Lake Tahoe, California.