RT @StanfordSports: Our recap of Stanford's 45-0 win. Key takeways: McCaffrey has a bright future and the O-line still needs to gel http://…: 7 hours ago, The Stanford Daily
RT @StanfordSports: And that's the ballgame. Stanford routs UC-Davis 45-0.: 8 hours ago, The Stanford Daily
Suspect "described as a white male adult, in his 30's, approx. 5' 7" and 140 lbs., fit build with short brown hair and wearing black shorts": 1 day ago, The Stanford Daily
Alert: "A female adult reported that she was...struck from behind with an unknown object that she believed to be a stick.": 1 day ago, The Stanford Daily
AlertSU system reporting a physical assault nearby Palm Drive and Campus Drive at 9:11 p.m.: 1 day ago, The Stanford Daily

“Shelter in place” alert activated due to Redwood City fire

San Mateo County issued an order on Sunday for residents to shelter in place and close all windows to avoid spreading smoke from a fire at a Redwood City metals-recycling plant.

Tonight, a Stanford University community alert encouraged residents and persons working in the area to keep their windows closed and to avoid heavy exercise outdoors.

Personnel from the Stanford University Department of Public Safety (SUDPS) are reportedly inspecting the campus for areas of poor air quality and have reached out to the Redwood City fire authorities, said Bill Larson, public spokesman for SUDPS.

According to the Palo Alto Weekly, the fire was reported at 1:21 p.m. with firefighters expected to contain the flames by 7 p.m. Some smoke could be seen earlier today from University Ave. and U.S. Hwy 101 in Palo Alto.

About Ileana Najarro

Ileana Najarro is the Managing Editor of News at The Stanford Daily. She previously worked as a News Desk Editor and Staff Writer.