Stanford at 11th in the first coaches poll of the season.: 15 hours ago, Stanford Daily Sport
RT @DavidMLombardi: Also, coach Shaw’s and Ty Montgomery’s comments today had a much more optimistic vibe re: Montgomery’s arm injury than …: 1 day ago, Stanford Daily Sport
RT @jjarcega_22: Blessed to officially be committed to Stanford University!! #GoCard #NerdGang #Cali 🌲♦️🏈🙏: 1 day ago, Stanford Daily Sport
RT @StanfordWTennis: .@CarolZhao95 is moving on at the @BOTWClassic! With Zhao leading 6-2, 1-0, @wickytennis retires and the match is done…: 2 days ago, Stanford Daily Sport
Upset alert at Bank of the West Classic: rising Stanford sophomore Carol Zhao takes 1st set against world's No. 65 player, Yanina Wickmayer.: 3 days ago, Stanford Daily Sport
#FullbackU RT @RWilliams_6: I am very blessed and honored to announce my commitment to STANFORD UNIVERSITY. #GoCardinal 🌲🌲🌲: 3 days ago, Stanford Daily Sport

Murphy awarded Pac-12 Defensive Player of the Week

Fifth-year senior outside linebacker Trent Murphy was the recipient of this week’s Pac-12 Defensive Player of the Week award, his second of the season.

Against Oregon State on Saturday, Murphy recorded a total of 3.5 tackles for loss, including 2.5 sacks, logged eight tackles, forced two quarterback hurries, and even blocked an extra point on special teams. On the season, Murphy ranks third out of all Football Bowl Subdivision players with 9.5 sacks.

Stanford’s defense held the nation’s leading passer, junior quarterback Sean Mannion, to only 271 yards and a touchdown, as he was manhandled by the Card’s defensive front. Murphy’s efforts led the way on defense as the Cardinal clinched the 20-12 victory over the Beavers with a late goal-line stand.

About Michael Peterson

Michael Peterson is a sports desk editor at The Stanford Daily. He has served as a beat reporter for football, baseball and men’s soccer and also does play-by-play broadcasting of baseball and men’s soccer for KZSU. Michael is a sophomore from Rancho Santa Margarita, Calif. majoring in computer science. To contact him, please email him at mrpeters ‘at’ stanford.edu.