RT @DavidMLombardi: Stanford opens as a 4-point favorite over USC: 11 hours ago, Stanford Daily Sport
RT @StanfordWSoccer: An incredible firework display after the game tonight. We move to 3-0 on the season. #NerdNation #HomeOpenerThursday h…: 17 hours ago, Stanford Daily Sport
RT @StanfordWSoccer: Final score: No. 5 @StanfordWSoccer 1, No. 14 Portland 0. Third straight road win over a ranked team!: 17 hours ago, Stanford Daily Sport
Cardinal fans have to be pretty happy with Stanford's performance today, even if it was against an FCS opponent.: 1 day ago, Stanford Daily Sport
And that's the ballgame. Stanford routs UC-Davis 45-0.: 1 day ago, Stanford Daily Sport
Crower redeems himself by throwing a strike to Hooper for a 14-yard touchdown. Stanford 45, UC-Davis 0 with 8:22 left in the game: 1 day ago, Stanford Daily Sport
McCaffrey. Wow.: 1 day ago, Stanford Daily Sport
Both Hooper and Cotton have made nice catches in the middle of the field today. Could be a huge help to Hogan as season progresses.: 1 day ago, Stanford Daily Sport
That's the end of the third quarter. Stanford 38, UC-Davis 0. The Cardinal playing its third-stringers.: 1 day ago, Stanford Daily Sport

Murphy awarded Pac-12 Defensive Player of the Week

Fifth-year senior outside linebacker Trent Murphy was the recipient of this week’s Pac-12 Defensive Player of the Week award, his second of the season.

Against Oregon State on Saturday, Murphy recorded a total of 3.5 tackles for loss, including 2.5 sacks, logged eight tackles, forced two quarterback hurries, and even blocked an extra point on special teams. On the season, Murphy ranks third out of all Football Bowl Subdivision players with 9.5 sacks.

Stanford’s defense held the nation’s leading passer, junior quarterback Sean Mannion, to only 271 yards and a touchdown, as he was manhandled by the Card’s defensive front. Murphy’s efforts led the way on defense as the Cardinal clinched the 20-12 victory over the Beavers with a late goal-line stand.

About Michael Peterson

Michael Peterson is the football editor at The Stanford Daily. He has served as a beat reporter for football, baseball and men’s soccer and also does play-by-play broadcasting of baseball and men’s soccer for KZSU. Michael is a sophomore from Rancho Santa Margarita, Calif. majoring in computer science. To contact him, please email him at mrpeters ‘at’ stanford.edu.