Jim Clark donates $60 million to Stanford

Courtesy of Steve Castillo
Courtesy of Steve Castillo

Former Stanford professor and founder of Netscape and Silicon Graphics, Jim Clark, donated $60 million to Stanford for the purpose of interdisciplinary research spanning life sciences, technology and engineering.

Research across disciplines was a cornerstone of Clark’s own experience at Stanford as a professor in the early 1980s, during which he created computer chip technologies that he later used in his first private venture, Silicon Graphics and Netscape.

The donation was announced during a celebration of the 10th anniversary of the James H. Clark Center for Biomedical Engineering and Sciences –  the product of Clark’s previous donation.

Clark withheld part of an original donation of $150 million in 2001 on account of legislation limiting government funding on state research, and, consequently, a lead gift of $90 million went towards the construction of the 146,000 square-foot Clark Center.

“The research and technology that have been produced in the Clark Center over the past 10 years have exceeded my wildest expectations and, it is clear, will continue to make a big impact on human health going forward,” Clark said in an article from the Silicon Valley Business Journal. “My gift to Stanford is one of the best things I have ever done.”