RT @DavidMLombardi: Stanford opens as a 4-point favorite over USC: 1 day ago, Stanford Daily Sport
RT @StanfordWSoccer: An incredible firework display after the game tonight. We move to 3-0 on the season. #NerdNation #HomeOpenerThursday h…: 1 day ago, Stanford Daily Sport
RT @StanfordWSoccer: Final score: No. 5 @StanfordWSoccer 1, No. 14 Portland 0. Third straight road win over a ranked team!: 1 day ago, Stanford Daily Sport
Cardinal fans have to be pretty happy with Stanford's performance today, even if it was against an FCS opponent.: 2 days ago, Stanford Daily Sport
And that's the ballgame. Stanford routs UC-Davis 45-0.: 2 days ago, Stanford Daily Sport
Crower redeems himself by throwing a strike to Hooper for a 14-yard touchdown. Stanford 45, UC-Davis 0 with 8:22 left in the game: 2 days ago, Stanford Daily Sport
McCaffrey. Wow.: 2 days ago, Stanford Daily Sport

Utah hands Hogan first loss, shocks No. 5 Stanford 27-21

For the first time in his collegiate career, quarterback Kevin Hogan failed to deliver with the game on the line.

On Saturday, Utah (4-2, 1-2 Pac-12) shocked No. 5 Stanford (5-1, 3-1) 27-21 at Rice-Eccles Stadium and handed Hogan his first loss in 11 games as a starting college quarterback. After playing sloppily on both sides of the ball for most of the afternoon, the Cardinal began a furious fourth-quarter rally that fell just short when Hogan’s pass fell incomplete on fourth-and-2 at the Utah 6-yard line with 47 seconds left in the game. The game’s controversial play call, however, came on the previous snap, when Stanford elected to pass the ball on third-and-2 rather than run out of the jumbo package.

Junior quarterback Kevin Hogan (8) was unable to convert third and fourth down passing attempts on Stanford's final drive, sealing his team's 27-21 defeat. (ISIPhotos.com)

Junior quarterback Kevin Hogan (8) was unable to convert third and fourth down passing attempts on Stanford’s final drive, sealing his team’s 27-21 defeat. (ISIPhotos.com)

Though Stanford did itself no favors by committing two turnovers, the Utes gashed the Cardinal defense for 410 yards with quick passes to the perimeter and effective zone blocking. Running back Robert Poole rushed for 111 yards on 20 carries against a Stanford front seven that uncharacteristically missed open-field tackles, and at times seemed confused by the variety of looks Utah was showing. And while Utah’s offensive line dominated for most of the game, its defensive line applied enough pressure to disrupt the Cardinal’s running game — Stanford had a season-low 143 rushing yards — and throw Hogan off-rhythm.

“We knew we were coming into a hornet’s nest,” said head coach David Shaw. “They outplayed us, they out-coached us, they beat us.”

The game had the makings of a shootout when Stanford and Utah traded touchdown drives on the first two possessions of the afternoon. After junior wide receiver Ty Montgomery turned a hook route into a 45-yard pickup on the first snap of the game, sophomore wideout Kodi Whitfield followed suit with a 28-yard reception. Three plays later, senior halfback Tyler Gaffney punched it in from one yard out to put the Cardinal up early.

Utes quarterback Travis Wilson led his team on an eight-play, 75-yard drive to tie things up, but Montgomery picked up right from where he left off against Washington by returning the subsequent kickoff for a touchdown. Barely midway through the first quarter, Stanford led Utah 14-7.

But that’s when things started to collapse for Stanford.

Facing a third-and-17 near midfield, Wilson launched the ball deep toward wideout Dres Anderson, who muscled his way past senior defensive back Devon Carrington to come down with the ball for a 51-yard touchdown.

Stanford’s offense, meanwhile, became stagnant. Senior Jordan Williamson’s 38-yard field goal attempt on the Cardinal’s second drive of the game went wide right, and after that, senior Ben Rhyne punted three straight times to end the first half.

One of Rhyne’s punts pinned Utah at its own 1-yard line, but despite being better known for their big-play capability, the Utes used an impressive 11-play, 99-yard touchdown drive capped by Anderson’s short run to go up 21-14 heading into halftime.

“[Utah] played UCLA to the end, Oregon State to the end,” Gaffney said. “This was definitely not an overlooked team.”

Things didn’t get much better for the Cardinal in the third quarter. Senior inside linebacker Joe Hemschoot came up big when he intercepted a tipped pass to halt Utah’s march deep in Stanford territory at the start of the quarter, but Montgomery gave the ball right back by fumbling near midfield on the following possession. Despite coughing up the ball, Montgomery was still by far Stanford’s most impactful player on the afternoon and would finish the game with eight receptions for 131 yards on top of his touchdown return.

The Cardinal offense, which moved the ball just 28 yards in the third quarter, committed its second turnover of the quarter when Hogan lost the ball after getting hit from behind. The turnovers only dug Stanford into a deeper hole, as two field goals — sandwiching Hogan’s turnover — from Utah kicker Andrew Phillips gave the Utes a 24-14 lead early in the fourth quarter.

“We knew it would be a battle and we didn’t play well enough,” Shaw said. “Our front seven didn’t play well tonight. Some of the pressure was our quarterback’s fault and some wasn’t.”

Fifth-year senior defensive end Ben Gardner

Fifth-year senior defensive end Ben Gardner (49) attempts to corral Utah running back Robert Poole (34) during Saturday’s contest at Rice-Eccles Stadium. Poole finished the game with 111 rushing yards on 20 carries. (ISIPhotos.com)

Not ready to lie down just yet, the Cardinal shrugged off its mistakes on offense to go on a 52-yard touchdown drive in just five plays. Once again, Montgomery proved to be the catalyst with a big 45-yard gain on a screen pass that bailed Stanford out of a tough third-and-10 situation. Hogan overthrew junior wide receiver Devon Cajuste on a back-shoulder fade on first-and-goal, but immediately went back to him on the next snap that would pay off in the form of a 7-yard touchdown.

After forcing a three-and-out from the Utah offense, the Cardinal got the ball back down by six points with 7:53 left in the game. Despite never having found a rhythm for most of the afternoon, Hogan settled down as the Stanford offense reverted to its methodical, efficient style of play. The junior signal-caller completed his first five passes of the drive, three of which went to Montgomery for 10 or more yards, to march the Cardinal down to the Utah 14-yard line.

Rushes by Gaffney and Hogan brought up a third-and-2 at the Utah 6-yard line with about a minute left in the game. But Stanford could not convert when it mattered the most. On third down, Hogan’s pass intended for junior tight end Charlie Hopkins fell incomplete on a play that was designed to get the ball to fifth-year senior fullback Ryan Hewitt, and on the final attempt, Utah brought pressure to force an overthrown ball from Hogan.

“It’s about how we respond from here on out,” said fifth-year senior outside linebacker Trent Murphy, who recorded two tackles for loss on Saturday. “It’s a long season. There are still a lot of games to win.”

Stanford will have to regroup quickly as it hosts No. 9 UCLA next Saturday during Homecoming weekend.

Contact George Chen at gchen15 ‘at’ stanford.edu.

About George Chen

George Chen is the President and Editor in Chief of The Stanford Daily. Previously he worked at The Daily as the Executive Editor, Managing Editor of Sports, the football beat reporter and a sports desk editor. George also co-authored The Daily's recent book documenting the rise of Stanford football, "Rags to Roses." He is a junior from Painted Post, NY majoring in Biology. To contact him, please email eic@stanforddaily.com.
  • JSailor

That cage match was dominated by Utah. The Cardinal didn’t show up. They were outplayed in the air, on the ground. Their defense put more pressure on Hogan than any other team so far. One of two things is going on. The Cardinal is overrated or the Utes are under rated.

• Pete

FYI, our running back is named James (Bubba) Poole. Not Robert Poole. Regardless, great game. Stanford is a great team that could go far this year. Here in Utah we will be cheering for you in the North. No matter what happens, I can’t wait to play more smash mouth football with you guys next year in Palo Alto, I will be there. GO UTES!

• Sean in SLC

As a Utah alum, I was ecstatic for the Utes to beat such a high-quality, tough team like Stanford. This one came down to defense…which is what wins games.

• Sean in SLC

I think the PAC-12 is underrated, but admittedly, as a Ute fan, I think the Utes and the Cardinal are both currently/appropriately ranked where they should be. The team that has really surprised me this year is Oregon State. I believe Sean Mannion, their QB, is one of the top 3 QBs in the country…including Mariota at UO and Bridgewater at Louisville.

It was surprising Oregon St. lost to Eastern Washington and then turned themselves around going for five straight wins. Watch the air assault that Mannion will deliver in Corvallis.

I believe the BCS National C’Ship will come down to Alabama and Oregon. Go Oregon/PAC 12!

• John Driscoll

True Stanford fans know the meaning of pain and suffering, after living through the ordeal of the Buddy Teevens/Walt Harris era, watching reruns of The Play and taking abuse from the other Pac 12 powerhouses (especially the one in LA that just dumped its coach). Our best and most deserving players get passed over for Heismans. My buddy with 50 yard line seats used to get lonely. SRO didn’t exist.
    So when you have a few great years with spirited players, clutch wins, post-season bowl gigs and Top 25 rankings, you really savor it. It will sustain you. The Utah loss hurt but nothing in the world — even losses for the rest of season — can diminish my admiration and respect for this team. I entered Stanford as freshman the year Rod Garcia kicked a winning field goal against Michigan. 40 years is a long time to wait between Rose Bowl wins but I will be eternally grateful to the team that made it happen at least once since my graduation. Ready to hop a 20 hour economy class flight from Singapore during the peak holiday season if they can pull it off again.

• Top5iveAlive

what a game utes, Stanford is still our bar to become. hope to be consistant as them as a ute year in year out.