79-77 is your final from Provo after a furious comeback falls barely short at the end. Card get No. 9 Texas in Austin next. Tough draw.: 13 hours ago, Stanford Daily Sport
Card looked sloppy and lost at times, but this team's resiliency is really something else. Just won't go away easily.: 13 hours ago, Stanford Daily Sport
Stanford and Randle got the looks that they wanted at the end, and the shots just didn't fall. That happens, not much you can do about that.: 13 hours ago, Stanford Daily Sport
Card get the ball back down 79-77 with 4.8 to go, and Randle misses the buzzer-beater. BYU wins by that final score.: 13 hours ago, Stanford Daily Sport
Randle misses the long 3 on a clean look. Stanford will get the ball back with a chance.: 13 hours ago, Stanford Daily Sport
Travel. Stanford down 2, gets the ball back and can kill the clock.: 13 hours ago, Stanford Daily Sport
Randle with the clutch 3! We have a two-point game, 79-77 with just under a minute to go. ESPNU. Don't miss this ending.: 13 hours ago, Stanford Daily Sport
Two forced turnovers later, it's back to a 77-72 game. Stanford doing whatever it can to stick around.: 13 hours ago, Stanford Daily Sport
Stanford playing sloppy ball, BYU playing clean, foul-free ball on the other end. It's 72-59 Cougars, who have opened it up with 5 to play.: 14 hours ago, Stanford Daily Sport

Women’s, men’s soccer both lose to UCLA

Cardinal women’s soccer drops second straight at home

Just four days after losing its first home match since 2007, No. 5 Stanford women’s soccer fell again at Laird Q. Cagan Stadium, failing to upset No. 2 UCLA on Thursday night in a 2-1 defeat.

Down 1-0 in the 89th minute, Stanford’s Lo’eau LaBonta tied it up with a nifty move in the box, but Lauren Kaskie scored the golden goal for the Bruins in double-overtime. Stanford junior Chioma Ubogagu had a chance to win it in the first overtime, but her close-range shot was blocked at the line.

Stanford (9-2-1, 2-2 Pac-12) will host USC (5-6-1, 0-3) on Sunday.

Men’s soccer shut out by Bruins

Cardinal men’s soccer failed to score at No. 6 UCLA on Thursday night, falling 1-0 after an 89th-minute goal by Bruin defender Aaron Simmons. The two teams combined for 15 shots in the tight matchup, which was televised on Pac-12 Networks just before the women’s showdown.

Stanford slipped to 6-3-1 (1-2 Pac-12) with the loss, with all three defeats coming against top-six opponents. The Bruins stayed a perfect 2-0 in conference play and improved to 7-2-1 overall.The Cardinal will stay in Southern California for this Sunday’s conference matchup at San Diego State (3-5, 0-1), which stayed tough with No. 1 Cal on Thursday before surrendering a late goal as well.

Contact Joseph Beyda at jbeyda ‘at’ stanford.edu.

About Joseph Beyda

Joseph Beyda is the executive editor of The Stanford Daily. Previously he has worked as the football editor, a sports desk editor, the paper's summer managing editor and a beat reporter for football, baseball and women's soccer. He co-authored The Daily's recent football book, "Rags to Roses," and covered the soccer team's national title run for the New York Times. Joseph is a senior from Cupertino, Calif. majoring in Electrical Engineering. To contact him, please email jbeyda "at" stanford.edu.