RT @DavidMLombardi: Stanford opens as a 4-point favorite over USC: 16 hours ago, Stanford Daily Sport
RT @StanfordWSoccer: An incredible firework display after the game tonight. We move to 3-0 on the season. #NerdNation #HomeOpenerThursday h…: 23 hours ago, Stanford Daily Sport
RT @StanfordWSoccer: Final score: No. 5 @StanfordWSoccer 1, No. 14 Portland 0. Third straight road win over a ranked team!: 23 hours ago, Stanford Daily Sport
Cardinal fans have to be pretty happy with Stanford's performance today, even if it was against an FCS opponent.: 2 days ago, Stanford Daily Sport
And that's the ballgame. Stanford routs UC-Davis 45-0.: 2 days ago, Stanford Daily Sport
Crower redeems himself by throwing a strike to Hooper for a 14-yard touchdown. Stanford 45, UC-Davis 0 with 8:22 left in the game: 2 days ago, Stanford Daily Sport
McCaffrey. Wow.: 2 days ago, Stanford Daily Sport
Both Hooper and Cotton have made nice catches in the middle of the field today. Could be a huge help to Hogan as season progresses.: 2 days ago, Stanford Daily Sport

Women’s, men’s soccer both lose to UCLA

Cardinal women’s soccer drops second straight at home

Just four days after losing its first home match since 2007, No. 5 Stanford women’s soccer fell again at Laird Q. Cagan Stadium, failing to upset No. 2 UCLA on Thursday night in a 2-1 defeat.

Down 1-0 in the 89th minute, Stanford’s Lo’eau LaBonta tied it up with a nifty move in the box, but Lauren Kaskie scored the golden goal for the Bruins in double-overtime. Stanford junior Chioma Ubogagu had a chance to win it in the first overtime, but her close-range shot was blocked at the line.

Stanford (9-2-1, 2-2 Pac-12) will host USC (5-6-1, 0-3) on Sunday.

Men’s soccer shut out by Bruins

Cardinal men’s soccer failed to score at No. 6 UCLA on Thursday night, falling 1-0 after an 89th-minute goal by Bruin defender Aaron Simmons. The two teams combined for 15 shots in the tight matchup, which was televised on Pac-12 Networks just before the women’s showdown.

Stanford slipped to 6-3-1 (1-2 Pac-12) with the loss, with all three defeats coming against top-six opponents. The Bruins stayed a perfect 2-0 in conference play and improved to 7-2-1 overall.The Cardinal will stay in Southern California for this Sunday’s conference matchup at San Diego State (3-5, 0-1), which stayed tough with No. 1 Cal on Thursday before surrendering a late goal as well.

Contact Joseph Beyda at jbeyda ‘at’ stanford.edu.

About Joseph Beyda

Joseph Beyda is the executive editor of The Stanford Daily. Previously he has worked as the football editor, a sports desk editor, the paper's summer managing editor and a beat reporter for football, baseball and women's soccer. He co-authored The Daily's recent football book, "Rags to Roses," and covered the soccer team's national title run for the New York Times. Joseph is a junior from Cupertino, Calif. majoring in Electrical Engineering. To contact him, please email jbeyda "at" stanford.edu.