RT @StanfordWVB: .@StanfordWVB (18-0) off to its best start to a season since 1994 (20-0), led today by Morgan Boukather's career high 18 k…: 11 hours ago, Stanford Daily Sport
@andi_mcc @MsIngaSpoke @BlockInTheBack Thanks a lot. Never got sent quotes from last night's presser for some reason.: 13 hours ago, Stanford Daily Sport
Stanford drops to 4-3, the first time the Cardinal have three regular-season losses since 2009.: 1 day ago, Stanford Daily Sport
Stanford will fall out of the AP top-25 poll for the first time in 73 weeks.: 1 day ago, Stanford Daily Sport
Arizona State 26, Stanford 10, final.: 1 day ago, Stanford Daily Sport
Hogan's 4th and 10 jump ball to Montgomery falls short, and that's going to do it.: 1 day ago, Stanford Daily Sport
3rd and 10 with the game on the line... and why is Montgomery not out there?: 1 day ago, Stanford Daily Sport
This drive again a reminder that Stanford is not a team that plays from behind. This two-minute drill is kind of atrocious.: 1 day ago, Stanford Daily Sport
Gonzalez knocks it in from 31. ASU takes a 26-10 lead.: 1 day ago, Stanford Daily Sport

Football notes: Depth chart released

Stanford football released its season-opening depth chart on Monday morning with few surprises, as head coach David Shaw had already announced several winners of position battles last Thursday.

Tight end Charlie Hopkins, after switching to offense from defensive line this spring, is now one of the team's tight end starters. (JIM SHORIN/StanfordPhoto.com)

Tight end Charlie Hopkins, after switching to offense from defensive line this spring, is now one of the team’s tight end starters. (JIM SHORIN/StanfordPhoto.com)

The main surprise was the tight end position, where it appears that defensive lineman convert Charlie Hopkins, a rising junior, beat out fifth-year senior Davis Dudchock for the “F” tight end starting job. Hopkins “OR” sophomore Luke Kaumatule is listed at the starter at tight end, but the coaching staff already announced that Kaumatule was the team’s “Y” tight end. (Last year, when standouts Zach Ertz and Levine Toilolo were the tight end starters, they were also listed on the same line.)

Kevin Hogan is listed as the starting quarterback, with fellow redshirt sophomore Evan Crower as the backup.

At tailback, Anthony Wilkerson “OR” Tyler Gaffney is listed at the starter, as Shaw has said that the two seniors will lead the team’s running back by committee this season. Ryan Hewitt will block for the Cardinal as the starting fullback for a third consecutive season.

Juniors Ty Montgomery and Devon Cajuste are the team’s starting receivers, with Michael Rector and Kelsey Young listed as the second-stringers and Kodi Whitfield and Jordan Pratt behind them.

The team’s offensive line, as expected, will consist of tackles Andrus Peat and Cameron Fleming, guards David Yankey and Kevin Danser and center Khalil Wilkes. Four members of Stanford’s elite 2012 offensive line recruiting class cracked the two-deep: Peat, Kyle Murphy (left and right tackle), Joshua Garnett (left guard) and Johnny Caspers (right guard). Caspers is the only one who did not play in 2012.

Eleven of Stanford’s 12 defensive starters are upperclassmen, with sophomore corner Alex Carter being the lone exception. Wayne Lyons will start for the first time across from Carter, while Jordan Richards and Ed Reynolds will look to build off their solid 2012 season as the team’s top safeties. Devon Carrington is listed as the backup to both Lyons and Reynolds.

As expected, fifth-year senior Trent Murphy, junior James Vaughters, fifth-year senior Shayne Skov and redshirt junior A.J. Tarpley will start at linebacker, while redshirt junior Henry Anderson, redshirt junior David Parry and fifth-year senior Ben Gardner will hold down the defensive line.

Kicker Jordan Williamson and punter Ben Rhyne will start on special teams, with Montgomery listed as the primary kick returner. Four candidates (Montgomery, Whitfield, Keanu Nelson and Barry J. Sanders) are still listed as punt returners.

Click here for the complete depth chart.

Contact Joseph Beyda at jbeyda “at” stanford.edu.

About Joseph Beyda

Joseph Beyda is the executive editor of The Stanford Daily. Previously he has worked as the football editor, a sports desk editor, the paper's summer managing editor and a beat reporter for football, baseball and women's soccer. He co-authored The Daily's recent football book, "Rags to Roses," and covered the soccer team's national title run for the New York Times. Joseph is a junior from Cupertino, Calif. majoring in Electrical Engineering. To contact him, please email jbeyda "at" stanford.edu.
  • excited for football

Thanks for the article!

Could you repost the link to the complete depth chart? It doesnt look like its working for me.

• Joseph Beyda

Sorry about that — the link changed after we posted the article. The link has been updated and you should be able to see the depth chart again.

• AMG2013

Link to depth chart is still not working…

• Joseph Beyda

Our apologies — GoStanford’s link keeps changing. We have updated it. If it breaks again, you can find the depth chart on the GoStanford football page. Scroll down to “Cardinal Clips”.