Dwight Powell on SportsCenter now as the "other piece" of the Rondo trade: 13 hours ago, Stanford Daily Sport
ICYMI, Dwight Powell was traded from the Celtics to the Mavs as part of the Rajon Rondo deal yesterday.: 21 hours ago, Stanford Daily Sport
RT @StanfordWVB: Final: @PennStateVBALL 3, @StanfordWVB 1 Cardinal ends the season 33-2, tying for the most wins in program history. #gosta: 1 day ago, Stanford Daily Sport
Cardinal within one after block from Bugg and Ajanaku. A hush over the crowd in OKC as it's 20-19 PSU in the fourth, up two sets to one.: 1 day ago, Stanford Daily Sport
It's getting late quickly for the Card. PSU up 18-15 in the fourth set. Another Dunning timeout, this one the most important of the year.: 1 day ago, Stanford Daily Sport
PSU with three straight points to even the fourth set at 13. Timeout Stanford.: 1 day ago, Stanford Daily Sport
Cardinal up 10-7 in the fourth set. Down two sets to one.: 1 day ago, Stanford Daily Sport
Stanford has been down 2-1 three times this season, and it has a 2-1 record in those matches. (W @ Illinois, W @ Colorado, L @ Washington): 1 day ago, Stanford Daily Sport
Card closed to within one point on three occasions towards the end of the 3rd, but couldn't pull it out. PSU wins it 25-22, takes 2-1 lead.: 1 day ago, Stanford Daily Sport
RT @jwallach12: Neither team has been able to get in a rhythm since the beginning of the first set. It's a dogfight out there. Exactly what…: 1 day ago, Stanford Daily Sport

Football notes: Depth chart released

Stanford football released its season-opening depth chart on Monday morning with few surprises, as head coach David Shaw had already announced several winners of position battles last Thursday.

Tight end Charlie Hopkins, after switching to offense from defensive line this spring, is now one of the team's tight end starters. (JIM SHORIN/StanfordPhoto.com)

Tight end Charlie Hopkins, after switching to offense from defensive line this spring, is now one of the team’s tight end starters. (JIM SHORIN/StanfordPhoto.com)

The main surprise was the tight end position, where it appears that defensive lineman convert Charlie Hopkins, a rising junior, beat out fifth-year senior Davis Dudchock for the “F” tight end starting job. Hopkins “OR” sophomore Luke Kaumatule is listed at the starter at tight end, but the coaching staff already announced that Kaumatule was the team’s “Y” tight end. (Last year, when standouts Zach Ertz and Levine Toilolo were the tight end starters, they were also listed on the same line.)

Kevin Hogan is listed as the starting quarterback, with fellow redshirt sophomore Evan Crower as the backup.

At tailback, Anthony Wilkerson “OR” Tyler Gaffney is listed at the starter, as Shaw has said that the two seniors will lead the team’s running back by committee this season. Ryan Hewitt will block for the Cardinal as the starting fullback for a third consecutive season.

Juniors Ty Montgomery and Devon Cajuste are the team’s starting receivers, with Michael Rector and Kelsey Young listed as the second-stringers and Kodi Whitfield and Jordan Pratt behind them.

The team’s offensive line, as expected, will consist of tackles Andrus Peat and Cameron Fleming, guards David Yankey and Kevin Danser and center Khalil Wilkes. Four members of Stanford’s elite 2012 offensive line recruiting class cracked the two-deep: Peat, Kyle Murphy (left and right tackle), Joshua Garnett (left guard) and Johnny Caspers (right guard). Caspers is the only one who did not play in 2012.

Eleven of Stanford’s 12 defensive starters are upperclassmen, with sophomore corner Alex Carter being the lone exception. Wayne Lyons will start for the first time across from Carter, while Jordan Richards and Ed Reynolds will look to build off their solid 2012 season as the team’s top safeties. Devon Carrington is listed as the backup to both Lyons and Reynolds.

As expected, fifth-year senior Trent Murphy, junior James Vaughters, fifth-year senior Shayne Skov and redshirt junior A.J. Tarpley will start at linebacker, while redshirt junior Henry Anderson, redshirt junior David Parry and fifth-year senior Ben Gardner will hold down the defensive line.

Kicker Jordan Williamson and punter Ben Rhyne will start on special teams, with Montgomery listed as the primary kick returner. Four candidates (Montgomery, Whitfield, Keanu Nelson and Barry J. Sanders) are still listed as punt returners.

Click here for the complete depth chart.

Contact Joseph Beyda at jbeyda “at” stanford.edu.

About Joseph Beyda

Joseph Beyda is the executive editor of The Stanford Daily. Previously he has worked as the football editor, a sports desk editor, the paper's summer managing editor and a beat reporter for football, baseball and women's soccer. He co-authored The Daily's recent football book, "Rags to Roses," and covered the soccer team's national title run for the New York Times. Joseph is a senior from Cupertino, Calif. majoring in Electrical Engineering. To contact him, please email jbeyda "at" stanford.edu.
  • excited for football

Thanks for the article!

Could you repost the link to the complete depth chart? It doesnt look like its working for me.

• Joseph Beyda

Sorry about that — the link changed after we posted the article. The link has been updated and you should be able to see the depth chart again.

• AMG2013

Link to depth chart is still not working…

• Joseph Beyda

Our apologies — GoStanford’s link keeps changing. We have updated it. If it breaks again, you can find the depth chart on the GoStanford football page. Scroll down to “Cardinal Clips”.