RT @StanfordWVB: Final: @PennStateVBALL 3, @StanfordWVB 1 Cardinal ends the season 33-2, tying for the most wins in program history. #gosta: 11 hours ago, Stanford Daily Sport
Cardinal within one after block from Bugg and Ajanaku. A hush over the crowd in OKC as it's 20-19 PSU in the fourth, up two sets to one.: 11 hours ago, Stanford Daily Sport
It's getting late quickly for the Card. PSU up 18-15 in the fourth set. Another Dunning timeout, this one the most important of the year.: 11 hours ago, Stanford Daily Sport
PSU with three straight points to even the fourth set at 13. Timeout Stanford.: 11 hours ago, Stanford Daily Sport
Cardinal up 10-7 in the fourth set. Down two sets to one.: 11 hours ago, Stanford Daily Sport
Stanford has been down 2-1 three times this season, and it has a 2-1 record in those matches. (W @ Illinois, W @ Colorado, L @ Washington): 11 hours ago, Stanford Daily Sport
Card closed to within one point on three occasions towards the end of the 3rd, but couldn't pull it out. PSU wins it 25-22, takes 2-1 lead.: 11 hours ago, Stanford Daily Sport
RT @jwallach12: Neither team has been able to get in a rhythm since the beginning of the first set. It's a dogfight out there. Exactly what…: 12 hours ago, Stanford Daily Sport
RT @dohyoungpark: This just feels like another one of those five-set marathon matches. Par for the course between these two teams.: 12 hours ago, Stanford Daily Sport
Two straight points for the Lions after the timeout, take first lead in the set since 6-5. Dunning calls another timeout.: 12 hours ago, Stanford Daily Sport

Football notes: Practices begin to taper down; a few players still sidelined

While most football teams across the nation are itching to kick off the 2013 season this weekend, Stanford will remain on the practice field as the team anxiously waits for its Sept. 7 season opener against San Jose State.

Head coach David Shaw sees the delay as both a blessing and a curse.

Nickelback Usua Amanam (15), co-MVP of the 2012 Rose Bowl Game, sat out both Saturday's scrimmage and Monday's practice.(Grant Shorin/Stanfordphoto.com)

Nickelback Usua Amanam (left), co-MVP of the 2013 Rose Bowl Game along with now-graduated halfback Stepfan Taylor (right), sat out both Saturday’s scrimmage and Monday’s practice. (Grant Shorin/Stanfordphoto.com)

“We get a chance to see other people, and as I told the guys, we get a chance to see them have their first-game jitters,” Shaw said. “Maybe lose some games that they shouldn’t because of turnovers, penalties and being sloppy, so hopefully we can learn a lesson from watching other people. Negatives are that we basically got 12 games in 13 weeks after this bye.”

After sitting out Saturday’s open scrimmage, senior running back Ricky Seale returned to the field on Monday while senior tailback Anthony Wilkerson caught the end of the afternoon practice session. Fifth-year senior nickelback Usua Amanam, junior wideout Ty Montgomery and senior free safety Ed Reynolds were sidelined today with minor injuries, though Shaw stated that the measure was mostly precautionary.

Under the watchful eyes of sports performance coordinator Shannon Turley, it’s hardly a coincidence that no Stanford player has suffered a major injury thus far in camp. Still, Shaw wasn’t a fan of answering injury-related questions when he was swarmed with them by reporters on Monday.

“It’s a little early to be worried about injuries, isn’t it? We don’t play for two weeks,” Shaw said.

The intensity of fall camp has already reached its peak. Though the players still have two more two-a-days this week, Shaw stated that the afternoon practices will be shortened and geared towards more situation-specific plays.

Contact George Chen at gchen15 “at” stanford.edu.

About George Chen

George Chen is a senior staff writer at The Stanford Daily who writes football, football and more football. Previously he worked at The Daily as the President and Editor in Chief, Executive Editor, Managing Editor of Sports, the football beat reporter and a sports desk editor. George also co-authored The Daily's recent book documenting the rise of Stanford football, "Rags to Roses." He is a senior from Painted Post, NY majoring in Biology. To contact him, please email at gchen15@stanford.edu.