Shaw: No-call on Owusu hit was "questionable": 24 hours ago, StanfordDaily Sports
In the span of 25 seconds, Stanford scores 13 points to win the game. Cardinal escape a tough one in the Rose Bowl, 22-13.: 1 day ago, StanfordDaily Sports
It's Hail Mary time in Pasadena.: 1 day ago, StanfordDaily Sports
Ten seconds left, UCLA needs 25 yards for a field goal attempt.: 1 day ago, StanfordDaily Sports
Stanford leads 16-13, UCLA has 24 seconds to break their eight game losing streak to the Cardinal.: 1 day ago, StanfordDaily Sports
Arcega-Whiteside had no catches before this game. Huge day is an understatement.: 1 day ago, StanfordDaily Sports
First and goal Stanford with 29 seconds remaining. Let's see which team wants it more.: 1 day ago, StanfordDaily Sports
Another catch for Arcega-Whiteside, who is now Stanford's second leading reciver: 1 day ago, StanfordDaily Sports
Trenton Irwin has 20 more yards than the rest of Stanford combined.: 1 day ago, StanfordDaily Sports
Stanford gets the stop. Cardinal have 2:05, no timeouts, need a touchdown.: 1 day ago, StanfordDaily Sports

Football notes: Stanford ranked No. 4 in AP Poll, concludes first week of fall camp with scrimmage

Stanford football was ranked No. 4 in the preseason Associated Press (AP) Poll released Saturday morning, marking the 48th consecutive week that the Cardinal has been ranked in the AP Poll. During this stretch, Stanford was in the top ten for a total of 30 weeks. The AP top-five preseason ranking comes on the heels of the Cardinal being ranked No. 4 in the USA Today Coaches’ Poll, No. 4 in ESPN’S Power Rankings and No. 2 by Sports Illustrated.

As usual, head coach David Shaw deflected the hype.

“We haven’t changed one bit,” Shaw said after the team’s Saturday practice. “It can’t ever affect our preparation, it can’t affect how we play on game day and it can’t affect our approach to how we play the game. We’re not going to play harder or less hard because people say we’re going to be good or people say we’re going to be terrible.”

“While it’s nice to have a favorable ranking, that’s something the media and fans pay attention to much more than us,” added fifth-year senior outside linebacker Trent Murphy. “We control our own destiny.”

(David Elkinson/isiphotos.com)

Senior nose tackle David Parry has impressed head coach David Shaw early in fall camp. (DAVID ELKINSON/isiphotos.com)

Fittingly enough, the Cardinal players were on the practice field for the first day of full tackling under scrimmage conditions as the AP poll was announced. As today’s practice showed, not much has changed in the battle between the offense and defense since spring ball.

“As usual, when you’re this early [in practice], the defense is ahead, which is great,” Shaw said. “It’s just nice to see guys flying around and attacking the ball…making tackles. We still popped a couple of runs but for the most part the defense had the edge today.”

With the first week of fall practices nearly over, Shaw noted two players — fifth-year inside linebacker Shayne Skov and senior nose tackle David Parry — who have especially impressed, pointing out that both defensive players have been difficult to block.

Meanwhile, the competition at key positions, including center, outside linebacker and cornerback, is still ongoing.

“[It’s been] even,” said Shaw, when asked about the center competition. “I would love for there to be some movement there. We’re going to keep rotating guys through, and I’d imagine it will be another week before we have a clear-cut leader. They’re all doing well; we just need someone to do great.”

The clock is ticking for the players who are fighting for a starting role, as the season opener against San Jose State is just three weeks away. For older veterans, it’s about staying both hungry and meticulous throughout camp.

“We’ll never be truly satisfied with how we play,” said fifth-year senior inside linebacker A.J. Tarpley. “We always want to have perfect practices — that’s our goal — and strive for perfection, but we have seen some good things and things we need to work on. It’s a good start, and we need to keep on playing fast.”

Contact George Chen at gchen15 “at” stanford.edu.

About George Chen

George Chen is a senior staff writer at The Stanford Daily who writes football, football and more football. Previously he worked at The Daily as the President and Editor in Chief, Executive Editor, Managing Editor of Sports, the football beat reporter and a sports desk editor. George also co-authored The Daily's recent book documenting the rise of Stanford football, "Rags to Roses." He is a senior from Painted Post, NY majoring in Biology. To contact him, please email at gchen15@stanford.edu.