RT @StanfordFH: What a comeback by the Card! After going down 2-0, Stanford rallies for 3 unanswered goals to get the W! #GoStanford: 10 hours ago, Stanford Daily Sport
.@StanfordWVB sweeps Minnesota to cap off a 2-0 opening weekend. Big tests next week vs. current No. 1 PSU and No. 8 Ill. at State College: 11 hours ago, Stanford Daily Sport
Stanford block coming up big today: 5 in the 1st, 5 in the 2nd set so far. Card up 19-17 in the second set, up 1-0 in the match.: 12 hours ago, Stanford Daily Sport
Langsdorf's header is saved and that'll do it. Santa Barbara defeats @StanfordMSoccer 1-0.: 2 days ago, Stanford Daily Sport
Bashti has a header go just wide. Only a minute left.: 2 days ago, Stanford Daily Sport

Gibbs to compete at U.S. Open

It was announced Wednesday that former Cardinal tennis star Nicole Gibbs had been awarded one of eight wild-card entries into the main draw of the U.S. Open. Gibbs’ entrance into the tournament represents an opportunity for her to re-establish herself on an international stage after a discouraging early exit from the Bank of the West Classic almost a month ago.

(MIKE KHEIR/The Stanford Daily)

Nicole Gibbs will be competing in the U.S. Open, which kicks off on August 26th. (MIKE KHEIR/The Stanford Daily)

During her time competing for the Cardinal, Gibbs quickly established herself as one of the strongest players in the country. As a freshman, she advanced all the way to the semifinals of the NCAA Singles Championships and finished the season ranked 12th in the nation.

However, it was in her sophomore and junior years that she truly cemented her elite status as she cruised to two straight NCAA singles titles, a doubles title and a team title during those two seasons combined. In doing so, she became only the second player in Stanford history to claim all three titles in a career.

After Gibbs forwent her senior year at Stanford to turn pro, the three-time All-American rose to as high as No. 166 in the Women’s Tennis Association (WTA) rankings. She recently claimed a championship at a professional tournament in Yakima, Wash. and will look to make a deeper run into a Grand Slam tournament after a second-round exit in the Australian Open and a first-round exit at Wimbledon earlier this year.

About Do-Hyoung Park

Do-Hyoung Park '16 is a Managing Editor of Staff Development, lead football writer and copy editor at The Stanford Daily. He also writes about Stanford football for Sports Illustrated's new college football site, Campus Rush. In his three years, he has written primarily football, baseball, soccer, tennis, swimming and water polo, and has covered a Rose Bowl, a Super Regional run and three national championships. Do-Hyoung is a senior that is obnoxiously proud of being from Saint Paul, Minnesota studying chemical engineering and computer science. To contact him, please email him at dpark027 'at' stanford.edu.