@treeSIDjorge Yet the Cardinal has won the conference five times over that stretch...: 1 day ago, Stanford Daily Sport
RT @treeSIDjorge: Two-time defending champion Stanford second in Pac-12 preseason media poll ... poll began in 1961, Cardinal not once pick…: 1 day ago, Stanford Daily Sport
RT @CWCameronWalker: By far the hardest decision of my life, but I will spend the next chapter of my life at Stanford University under Coac…: 3 days ago, Stanford Daily Sport
RT @StanfordRivals: Four-star forward Cameron Walker, the nation's No. 61 player, just tweeted that he has committed to #Stanford. Huge get…: 3 days ago, Stanford Daily Sport

Gibbs to compete at U.S. Open

It was announced Wednesday that former Cardinal tennis star Nicole Gibbs had been awarded one of eight wild-card entries into the main draw of the U.S. Open. Gibbs’ entrance into the tournament represents an opportunity for her to re-establish herself on an international stage after a discouraging early exit from the Bank of the West Classic almost a month ago.

(MIKE KHEIR/The Stanford Daily)

Nicole Gibbs will be competing in the U.S. Open, which kicks off on August 26th. (MIKE KHEIR/The Stanford Daily)

During her time competing for the Cardinal, Gibbs quickly established herself as one of the strongest players in the country. As a freshman, she advanced all the way to the semifinals of the NCAA Singles Championships and finished the season ranked 12th in the nation.

However, it was in her sophomore and junior years that she truly cemented her elite status as she cruised to two straight NCAA singles titles, a doubles title and a team title during those two seasons combined. In doing so, she became only the second player in Stanford history to claim all three titles in a career.

After Gibbs forwent her senior year at Stanford to turn pro, the three-time All-American rose to as high as No. 166 in the Women’s Tennis Association (WTA) rankings. She recently claimed a championship at a professional tournament in Yakima, Wash. and will look to make a deeper run into a Grand Slam tournament after a second-round exit in the Australian Open and a first-round exit at Wimbledon earlier this year.

About Do-Hyoung Park

Do-Hyoung Park is the Head Copy Editor at The Stanford Daily. Even though he is finally able to get into R-rated movies now, he instead chooses to spend his time writing half the sports section every week. Do-Hyoung is a sophomore originally from Seoul, South Korea and raised in Saint Paul, Minnesota pursuing a major in chemical engineering. To contact him, please email him at dpark027 'at' stanford.edu.