RT @DavidMLombardi: Also, coach Shaw’s and Ty Montgomery’s comments today had a much more optimistic vibe re: Montgomery’s arm injury than …: 5 hours ago, Stanford Daily Sport
RT @jjarcega_22: Blessed to officially be committed to Stanford University!! #GoCard #NerdGang #Cali 🌲♦️🏈🙏: 8 hours ago, Stanford Daily Sport
RT @StanfordWTennis: .@CarolZhao95 is moving on at the @BOTWClassic! With Zhao leading 6-2, 1-0, @wickytennis retires and the match is done…: 1 day ago, Stanford Daily Sport
Upset alert at Bank of the West Classic: rising Stanford sophomore Carol Zhao takes 1st set against world's No. 65 player, Yanina Wickmayer.: 2 days ago, Stanford Daily Sport
#FullbackU RT @RWilliams_6: I am very blessed and honored to announce my commitment to STANFORD UNIVERSITY. #GoCardinal 🌲🌲🌲: 2 days ago, Stanford Daily Sport
RT @TyGaff: Sincere appreciation to @Panthers nation for the support and love. I couldn't have asked for anything more given my injury. Tha…: 2 days ago, Stanford Daily Sport

Gibbs to compete at U.S. Open

It was announced Wednesday that former Cardinal tennis star Nicole Gibbs had been awarded one of eight wild-card entries into the main draw of the U.S. Open. Gibbs’ entrance into the tournament represents an opportunity for her to re-establish herself on an international stage after a discouraging early exit from the Bank of the West Classic almost a month ago.

(MIKE KHEIR/The Stanford Daily)

Nicole Gibbs will be competing in the U.S. Open, which kicks off on August 26th. (MIKE KHEIR/The Stanford Daily)

During her time competing for the Cardinal, Gibbs quickly established herself as one of the strongest players in the country. As a freshman, she advanced all the way to the semifinals of the NCAA Singles Championships and finished the season ranked 12th in the nation.

However, it was in her sophomore and junior years that she truly cemented her elite status as she cruised to two straight NCAA singles titles, a doubles title and a team title during those two seasons combined. In doing so, she became only the second player in Stanford history to claim all three titles in a career.

After Gibbs forwent her senior year at Stanford to turn pro, the three-time All-American rose to as high as No. 166 in the Women’s Tennis Association (WTA) rankings. She recently claimed a championship at a professional tournament in Yakima, Wash. and will look to make a deeper run into a Grand Slam tournament after a second-round exit in the Australian Open and a first-round exit at Wimbledon earlier this year.

About Do-Hyoung Park

Do-Hyoung Park is the Head Copy Editor at The Stanford Daily. Even though he is finally able to get into R-rated movies now, he instead chooses to spend his time writing half the sports section every week. Do-Hyoung is a sophomore originally from Seoul, South Korea and raised in Saint Paul, Minnesota pursuing a major in chemical engineering. To contact him, please email him at dpark027 'at' stanford.edu.