RT @StanfordWVB: Final: @UWVolleyball 3, @StanfordWVB 1 (25-18, 25-21, 23-25, 25-20). Card drops first match of the year, falling to 28-1, …: 6 hours ago, Stanford Daily Sport
RT @jwallach12: Of the 17 teams that went undefeated in the reg. season, only 5 went unbeaten in the tourney to become nat'l champs (most r…: 13 hours ago, Stanford Daily Sport
RT @jwallach12: This week, @StanfordWVB will look to become the 18th DI team to go undefeated in the regular season since @NCAAVolleyball b…: 13 hours ago, Stanford Daily Sport
RT @LombardiESPN: Big: Stanford WR Ty Montgomery will NOT play vs UCLA: 1 day ago, Stanford Daily Sport
RT @agonzalezAP: Stanford coach David Shaw said Ty Montgomery out for UCLA. Said after Cal game it was a right shoulder sprain.: 2 days ago, Stanford Daily Sport
Stanford falls to UC Irvine 1-0 in extra time: 3 days ago, Stanford Daily Sport
Batteer offside to end regular time, we're headed to golden goal and extra time: 3 days ago, Stanford Daily Sport
Batteer earns a corner on the counter: 3 days ago, Stanford Daily Sport

Gibbs to compete at U.S. Open

It was announced Wednesday that former Cardinal tennis star Nicole Gibbs had been awarded one of eight wild-card entries into the main draw of the U.S. Open. Gibbs’ entrance into the tournament represents an opportunity for her to re-establish herself on an international stage after a discouraging early exit from the Bank of the West Classic almost a month ago.

(MIKE KHEIR/The Stanford Daily)

Nicole Gibbs will be competing in the U.S. Open, which kicks off on August 26th. (MIKE KHEIR/The Stanford Daily)

During her time competing for the Cardinal, Gibbs quickly established herself as one of the strongest players in the country. As a freshman, she advanced all the way to the semifinals of the NCAA Singles Championships and finished the season ranked 12th in the nation.

However, it was in her sophomore and junior years that she truly cemented her elite status as she cruised to two straight NCAA singles titles, a doubles title and a team title during those two seasons combined. In doing so, she became only the second player in Stanford history to claim all three titles in a career.

After Gibbs forwent her senior year at Stanford to turn pro, the three-time All-American rose to as high as No. 166 in the Women’s Tennis Association (WTA) rankings. She recently claimed a championship at a professional tournament in Yakima, Wash. and will look to make a deeper run into a Grand Slam tournament after a second-round exit in the Australian Open and a first-round exit at Wimbledon earlier this year.

About Do-Hyoung Park

Do-Hyoung Park '16 is the head copy editor and a sports desk editor at The Daily. He has previously served as the Vol. 245 Managing Editor of Sports and primarily writes football, women's soccer and columns that he's pretty sure nobody reads except for him. Do-Hyoung is a junior originally from Seoul, South Korea and raised in Saint Paul, Minnesota pursuing a major in chemical engineering. To contact him, please email him at dpark027 'at' stanford.edu.