Gibbs loses second-round match, all Stanford affiliates out of tournament

July 25, 2013, 5:00 p.m.

All of Stanford’s current and former student athletes have officially been eliminated from the Bank of the West Classic, as Nicole Gibbs, who chose to leave Stanford early to go pro after winning two straight NCAA singles titles in 2012 and 2013, fell in a back-and-forth marathon match against fourth-seeded and World No. 29 American Jamie Hampton.

Gibbs, a wild-card entry into the main draw of the tournament, was outmatched in the service game from the onset of the match, but was able to weather numerous aces from Hampton’s powerful but inconsistent serves with solid play on the second serves that came her way to play a very even, drawn-out match.

The two went blow-for-blow in the first set and eventually found themselves tied at 5 games apiece before Hampton broke Gibbs to claim the set 7-5. The parity continued throughout the second set, as they battled to a 6-6 tie before Gibbs claimed a 7-5 victory in a hard-fought tiebreak that kept her alive.

In the third set, however, Gibbs seemed to crack in the early going against the more experienced Hampton, as Hampton raced out to a dominant 4-0 lead in the set. However, Gibbs roared back and broke Hampton twice as she brought the set score to 4-3. After Gibbs’ surge, however, Hampton held steady and claimed the next two games to clinch her spot in the quarterfinals after a lengthy 2 hour, 12 minute match.

Do-Hyoung Park '16, M.S. '17 is the Minnesota Twins beat reporter at MLB.com, having somehow ensured that his endless hours sunk into The Daily became a shockingly viable career. He was previously the Chief Operating Officer and Business Manager at The Stanford Daily for FY17-18. He also covered Stanford football and baseball for five seasons as a student and served two terms as sports editor and four terms on the copy desk. He was also a color commentator for KZSU 90.1 FM's football broadcast team for the 2015-16 Rose Bowl season.